Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contemplating my next speaker design, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy_G
    replied
    Re: Contemplating my next speaker design, what do you think?

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
    Hey Andy, I don't want to tresspass on your territory!;)
    Its not trespass when you are invited. :D

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied

Hey Andy, I don't want to tresspass on your territory!;)

Leave a comment:

• Andy_G
    replied

Gees Dan, What I want to see from you is something with some sinuous sexy curves, not some boxy angular thing, anyone can do that, !!. :D

Leave a comment:

• bigg
    replied

Hi Dan,
    How do you determine if a driver is good for open baffle? I don't have test gear. I have to go with the t/s specs published by the manufacturer.

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

Dan,

How do you suppose you will treat the midrange? Are you shooting for a cardoid response? Will the tweeter be open baffle?

Leave a comment:

• bigg
    replied

The midrange cabinet reminds me of my old B&W 801 Matrix Mk3(?) speakers.
    All of your designs are interesting. I need to get to one of the shows (maybe Iowa) and see some of the work done by my fellow DIYers. I could learn a lot too.

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied

The TC-1000-PHL 2520-? tweeter might look something like one of these. I've yet to work out the option with the scan 15w mid:

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied

Ditto!!!

4.5-way?
    I was thinking active plate amp on the RSS265's and a 3 or 3.5way on the remainder. The bottom RS180 is within less than a wavelength at the expected crossover of 800-900 to the MDM55. I may also play with a high pass on the RS180's as I did with the RS150's in the HOSS, or just let them roll off acoustically in their sealed cabinet. I think the mids were cleaner in the HOSS with the high pass included.

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    I'm working on a similiar design as we speak Dan....couldn't pass up the RSS315 sale! Each cabinet has a single RS315HF sealed in 60L self powered and crossed at 125hz 12db/oct with a pair of SEAS Ca18RLYs sealed in 14L each with an added inductor for a .5 aligment all crossed to a waveguide mounted 27TDFC on a 6.5 waveguide.....top and bottom cabinets are seperate with the .5 midwoofer colocated to the RSS315 in the bottom with a 15 degree slanted baffle. The top cabinet contains the primary midwoofer before the coil and the WG tweeter on a flat baffle since the drivers acoustic centers are already aligned by the depth of the WG. Response should be 25hz to 20khz +/- 2db...i hope. Using your method of joined hardwoods for the baffles.....fiddleback maple and Curly Etimoe with curly maple veneer sides.
    Sounds like a great project! You should post some drawings, etc. if you have any. I'd like to see what you've come up with.

I have on other project I'm considering along with this one. I'm kind of working on that concept a bit more right now that I have the first one roughed out. It would use one of two combo's and would be based upon the concept I posted that is kind of pyramid shaped, very narrow at the top for the tweeter and uses an open backed tube for the midrange. Both concepts would use the TC-1000 as a woofer, probably crossed in the 300-400 range. The mids would be either the 8" PHL 2520 or I would dedicate my Duo cabinets to the Duo-T, which would free up a pair of Scan Revelator 15W/8530K01 for mids. The latter might be a little lower sensitivity design, but with the additional xmax that the TC-1000 and those little Scans have that might not be ok.

Pulling the drivers from my Duo-S project would also free up a pair of vifa D26nc55 neo tweeters to use in one of these projects. I'm not sure if this pyramid concept would use the RS28's I have or perhaps the Vifa D26nc55's, since I could get them very close to that 8" mid, maybe doing a shallow waveguide mount for them like in my Duo's and BaSSlines. I already know that the scan and vifa can work well together from using them in my Duo-S design. I'm thinking all passive on this concept, since the Tc-1000's appear to be in the 88-89db sensitivity range. I will put the woofer right down by the floor.

I will post more on this latter concept when I get it better thought out. Feedback is welcome, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

I'm working on a similiar design as we speak Dan....couldn't pass up the RSS315 sale! Each cabinet has a single RS315HF sealed in 60L self powered and crossed at 125hz 12db/oct with a pair of SEAS Ca18RLYs sealed in 14L each with an added inductor for a .5 aligment all crossed to a waveguide mounted 27TDFC on a 6.5 waveguide.....top and bottom cabinets are seperate with the .5 midwoofer colocated to the RSS315 in the bottom with a 15 degree slanted baffle. The top cabinet contains the primary midwoofer before the coil and the WG tweeter on a flat baffle since the drivers acoustic centers are already aligned by the depth of the WG. Response should be 25hz to 20khz +/- 2db...i hope. Using your method of joined hardwoods for the baffles.....fiddleback maple and Curly Etimoe with curly maple veneer sides.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Jed K. View Post
    That looks like a winner to me, Dan.
    Ditto!!!

4.5-way?

Leave a comment:

• Jed K.
    replied

That looks like a winner to me, Dan.

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied
    RSS265HF-RS180x2-MDM55-22TAFG combo

Here I go making it more complicated again! :rolleyes:

What do you think of this variant? The RSS265HF is in about 65l with a 24" slot port, powered by the 240w dayton plate amp. The box is tuned to about 23hz for an f3 of about 20hz, and gets to about 106db before reaching excursion limits at 200w. I had to close in the back top section to get the bigger volume.

The RS180's are sealed. Crossover to the RSS265 in the range of 80-120hz. I would expect the sensitivity to be in the range of 87-89db, depending on BSC, etc.

The speaker is still pretty small at 11" wide, 42" tall and 26" deep at the plinth (box is 18" deep)

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Jeff, I have got to ask.

What would be your thoughts on the source of IM? Would it be due to Le(x) variations under large excursions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Too bad that TC is gone, but at least we still have AE!

Actually I probably need to back-track on my statement. IM is generally associated with two-way speakers and not with a woofer working in the frequency range Dan is talking about, so it is much less likely to be an issue. The most common source of IM when it does occur is simply due to a doppler effect from the cone simultaneously making large excursions while also attempting to reproduce midrange frequencies. This affect can be audible in the mids. I don't see Le(x) being much of a concern here since the motor has a full-length copper sleeve and Le is generally very low to start with. I doubt that the change in Le is significant due to the motor design.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    Dan's TC drivers are not the standard model. We bought ours from the same OEM source after TC went out of business. The T/S parameters on our drivers are optimized for a sealed sub and won't work well in a vented enclosure unless it was a mass-loaded passive radiator tuned pretty low. I have simulations of each, but I chose to use mine sealed to keep the box small and have been very happy with it. I sent Dan the measurements I took of my driver, his should be pretty much the same. I do not know how well it will reach into the 200's. It has a copper sleeve in the motor and an Le of .73mH, but it has a lot of travel, and with that I wouldn't want to push it too much into midrange frequencies. Then we begin to deal more with Intermodulation Distortion as well.
    Jeff, I have got to ask.

What would be your thoughts on the source of IM? Would it be due to Le(x) variations under large excursions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Too bad that TC is gone, but at least we still have AE!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    Hey Dan...your TC1000's are excellent performers in 52L. Ported and tuned to 24hz with 100w input power with an F3 of 29hz and a reasonable port length of 17". Here's the modeled bass response compensating for volume of the port and bracing with a final net volume of 49L.

[ATTACH]3400[/ATTACH]
    Dan's TC drivers are not the standard model. We bought ours from the same OEM source after TC went out of business. The T/S parameters on our drivers are optimized for a sealed sub and won't work well in a vented enclosure unless it was a mass-loaded passive radiator tuned pretty low. I have simulations of each, but I chose to use mine sealed to keep the box small and have been very happy with it. I sent Dan the measurements I took of my driver, his should be pretty much the same. I do not know how well it will reach into the 200's. It has a copper sleeve in the motor and an Le of .73mH, but it has a lot of travel, and with that I wouldn't want to push it too much into midrange frequencies. Then we begin to deal more with Intermodulation Distortion as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X