Potential problem with Usher 8945P shipement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential problem with Usher 8945P shipement

I got a case of them from PA couple of weeks ago and I am wandering if I am going insane or not.
    First of all, the cones do not appear to be coated. Normally 8945P will have a slightly glossy black cone with rough texture. The last case I got, drivers appear to have no coating at all and have no glossy reflection from the surface.
    My FR measurements are pretty consistent with previous drivers (I've used 8945P for some years now) and for example with Zaph's posted data except a small rise at 2200hz in this last case of drivers. I have not taken distortion measurements yet.
    So, am I going insane or this batch of drivers is off?
    Let me post CSD.
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Re: Potential problem with Usher 8945P shipement

here,,:eek: a CSD showing large pick between 2 and 3 khz.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
      I got a case of them from PA couple of weeks ago and I am wandering if I am going insane or not.
      First of all, the cones do not appear to be coated. Normally 8945P will have a slightly glossy black cone with rough texture. The last case I got, drivers appear to have no coating at all and have no glossy reflection from the surface.
      My FR measurements are pretty consistent with previous drivers (I've used 8945P for some years now) and for example with Zaph's posted data except a small rise at 2200hz in this last case of drivers. I have not taken distortion measurements yet.
      Let me post CSD.
      Where did you source them from?

Comment

My favorite parts supplier!
        Here of cause.:p

Comment

My favorite parts supplier!
          Here of cause.:p
          I only ask because I think I recall reading some literature from Usher specifying an issue with counterfeit goods on the market... I wonder if this relates to the same controversy.

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
            I only ask because I think I recall reading some literature from Usher specifying an issue with counterfeit goods on the market... I wonder if this relates to the same controversy.
            Counterfeit Usher......now that's irony

Maybe they dropped the coating, just like they dropped ferrofluid. Usher tends to make these changes without notice (I think sometimes because they don't know they made them).
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Yeah, no... I think this Ushers are the real ones.
              It's too bad I have to cross high, other wise I could actually use this screw up for my benefit.

Comment

Ever more reasons to use the 8945A instead!
                I am trolling you.

Comment

I bought 4 of the 8945Ps last fall and none of them had any gloss at all on their cones, just a dull appearance to their rough texture. Dan Neubecker measured them mounted in my Marcato cabinet in order to design the crossover and IIRC, their responses seemed to pretty well match those measured by John Krutke.
                  Paul

Let me post CSD.

Comment

Here's a near field response.
                    I like 8945P myself and never had an issue before.
                    Attached Files

Comment

One more thing. I've inspected all 8 drivers in this case. 1 driver out of 8 looks like my older 8945P. The rest appear to have various degree of coating and gloss. I have NOT measured all 8 drivers, just 2 that appear to have less coating.

Comment

One more thing. I've inspected all 8 drivers in this case. 1 driver out of 8 looks like my older 8945P. The rest appear to have various degree of coating and gloss. I have NOT measured all 8 drivers, just 2 that appear to have less coating.
                        Sounds like they have QC issues.

Are there consistency issues with all of their products?

Comment

Not that I know of. I've used 8945A and 8945P a number of times and I always measure the drivers. This is the first time I see a number like this. Most probably it's just unlucky "end of the run" case or something. Spray gun got clogged up or an alien ship was passing by too close. Who knows. I'll be using Ushers regardless. It's a great driver IMO. But it does show importance of "in the house" measuring.

Comment

Working...
                          X