DIY power line conditioner???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY power line conditioner???

just wondering, hoping if anyone has built or know any links to build one of these.

my power is always spiking where i live and i have replaced alot of my electronics because of this.. so now i want to build a conditioner that well help elemenate the spikes and other trash in the lines.

thanks
    brian hampton

Re: DIY power line conditioner???

Originally posted by bhamptn View Post
    just wondering, hoping if anyone has built or know any links to build one of these.

my power is always spiking where i live and i have replaced alot of my electronics because of this.. so now i want to build a conditioner that well help elemenate the spikes and other trash in the lines.

thanks
    brian hampton
    I've seen several such articles in audioXpress magazine. Are you familiar with the magazine?

I typically will buy a generic power strip and install at least three MOV's (Varistors) inside of it. If there is room, I'll squeeze in a pre-made line filter or several capacitors and inductors of the appropriate values.

Most of the generic power strips have circuit breakers.
    Too slow. Too much current will pass before providing adequate protection.

I have a modified power strip for all of my computer equipment. I calculated the exact current needed/used by the computer, printer and scanner etc.
    I installed a fast blow fuse of just the right amperage to do the job, no more no less. And three 20 amp varistors, a couple of series inductors and several very high voltage ceramic capacitors.

A better solution would be an isolation transformer.

Have you checked with your electric utility company? They can install a whole house surge arrestor at the electric meter.

Comment

Originally posted by View Post

Have you checked with your electric utility company? They can install a whole house surge arrestor at the electric meter.
      get a whole house surge protector.

http://www.smarthome.com/4860/Levito...51120-1/p.aspx

http://xponenta.com/cgi/shop.cgi?pag...etail&sku=4870

I have this so far so good. In New Jersey a homeowner is allowed to DIY this check with your town for permits.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/1812916

I have parts to build a 600 watt isolation transformer. LOW cost it uses 2 600 watt toroid transformers. And a three prong extension cord. Do you want them( two transformers)? you can add the power cord. I can show you One I built.

Comment

I've seen several such articles in audioXpress magazine. Are you familiar with the magazine?
        I'm familiar with it. ;)

I typically will buy a generic power strip and install at least three MOV's (Varistors) inside of it. If there is room, I'll squeeze in a pre-made line filter or several capacitors and inductors of the appropriate values.

+1. A $10 Corcom line filter and three $2 MOVs provide all the 'conditioning' you need. Beyond that anything less than a 55-0-55 volt transformer fed balanced AC supply is a waste of money.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          I'm familiar with it. ;)

+1. A $10 Corcom line filter and three $2 MOVs provide all the 'conditioning' you need. Beyond that anything less than a 55-0-55 volt transformer fed balanced AC supply is a waste of money.
          Ha! Yes, we all know you are. :p
          I don't subscribe to audioXpress anymore. Too many other things to read.
          I still do have all the of the issues up till December 2008. I am thinking of putting them up on eBay.
          There were several articles on line/power conditioning.

Comment

Most of the generic power strips have circuit breakers.
            Too slow. Too much current will pass before providing adequate protection.

I have a modified power strip for all of my computer equipment. I calculated the exact current needed/used by the computer, printer and scanner etc.
            I installed a fast blow fuse of just the right amperage to do the job, no more no less. And three 20 amp varistors, a couple of series inductors and several very high voltage ceramic capacitors.

Another problem with the built in circuit breakers vs. a fuse is that if the fault is a total short (or at least very high current very quickly) they can weld (or "fuse"...pun intended:D):D closed so that they don't provide any protection and you get an avalanche-type of effect.

You need to note that the three MOVs they're talking about are connected as follows: 1 from Hot to Neutral, 1 from Hot to Ground, and 1 from Neutral to ground. I'm probably overly paranoid, but I always put 2 between Hot and Neutral. MOVs are a "consumable" device. Each time they take a heavy hit, a small portion is "used up", and when they fail they fail as an open, so you don't realize they are no longer working. You would want either the 130 Volt or 150 Volt rating.

You can check with Apex Jr. to see if he has any filters in stock. I would put it behind the MOVs.

If things are REALLY bad, you might look into gas tubes. They work on the same principle as the MOVs, but are slower to resond. However, they're like the Enegizer Bunny...they keep goin' and goin'.

Comment

thanks for all your replies

Comment

The design posted HERE seems pretty popular...

Comment

SURGE PROTECTION:the enemy within

Originally posted by rogoll View Post
                  You need to note that the three MOVs they're talking about are connected as follows: 1 from Hot to Neutral, 1 from Hot to Ground, and 1 from Neutral to ground.
                  Good idea for use near where neutral is bonded to ground. ...or for interconnected equipment all plugged into the same unprotected power strip upstream from the surge protector.

Some may not understand that they can fry their equipment by adding surge protectors incorrectly. Shunting current to ground significantly upstream from the panel can be a big part of the problem instead of the solution, if equipment sharing low voltage interconnections are not sharing very similar ground potentials during surge events. A few kV across low voltage audio/video/digtal/RF inputs can quickly fry some rather expensive toys.

Bill Whitlock explains it well in the article at the following link.
                  SURGE PROTECTION:the enemy within

Last edited by JRT; 07-02-2009, 11:06 AM.
                  "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                  of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                  - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                  A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                  (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Originally posted by bhamptn View Post
                    There is no magic conditioner for all electrical anomlies. Different solutions are located at different locations. First you must decide which anomaly you want to cure.

For example, noise? Harmonics?

Anything that would stop a typical surge is junk science. Surges cannot be stops or absorbed by filters or 'magic boxes'. Surge energy must be dissipated in earth. A surge permitted inside a building will hunt for destructive paths to earth; cannot be stopped or absorbed by those 'magic box' surge protectors.

Protection from anomolies located adjacent to an appliance are typically already inside the appliance.

Comment

Originally posted by westom View Post
                      There is no magic conditioner for all electrical anomlies. Different solutions are located at different locations. First you must decide which anomaly you want to cure.

For example, noise? Harmonics?

Anything that would stop a typical surge is junk science. Surges cannot be stops or absorbed by filters or 'magic boxes'. Surge energy must be dissipated in earth. A surge permitted inside a building will hunt for destructive paths to earth; cannot be stopped or absorbed by those 'magic box' surge protectors.

Protection from anomolies located adjacent to an appliance are typically already inside the appliance.
                      I'm pretty much with you on this. I don't trust MOVs very much in that you never know when it has been used up and a lightining strike can fuse the entire line. Then again, we don't get the smaller line fluctuations (< 1KV) that other portions of the country do. Part of the blessing of being in the desert. When I do use MOVs I make sure that they are readily accessible and replace them every 6 months or so. They are cheap enough. For large hits I'm not sure that transorbs or avalanche diodes are good enough, either.

As a rule, I prefer whole house protection like this:

http://www.raycapinc.com/index2.htm

If local protection is needed, then these:

http://www.zerosurge.com/residential.html

The only thing that really protects from big surges (like having your house struck) is diconnecting from AC lines.

Disclaimer: blah, blah, blah, YMMV, blah, blah. :D

Dave
                      "A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

www.piaudiogroup.com

http://www.avguide.com/blog/tas-rmaf...w-technologies
                      http://positive-feedback.com/Issue47/ramblings.htm
                      http://positive-feedback.com/Issue47/uber_buss.htm

Comment

We don't very often get horrific thunder storms here in Sacramento, but on those few occasions when we did, I would simply unplug my desktop computer. Now that I have a laptop, I keep it unplugged virtually all the time ready to go anywhere I want to take it, except of course when charging the battery. I bet the battery charger would take the hit and spare the computer.

Originally posted by dbe View Post
                        I'm pretty much with you on this. I don't trust MOVs very much in that you never know when it has been used up and a lightining strike can fuse the entire line. Then again, we don't get the smaller line fluctuations (< 1KV) that other portions of the country do. Part of the blessing of being in the desert. When I do use MOVs I make sure that they are readily accessible and replace them every 6 months or so. They are cheap enough. For large hits I'm not sure that transorbs or avalanche diodes are good enough, either.

As a rule, I prefer whole house protection like this:

http://www.raycapinc.com/index2.htm

If local protection is needed, then these:

http://www.zerosurge.com/residential.html

The only thing that really protects from big surges (like having your house struck) is diconnecting from AC lines.

Disclaimer: blah, blah, blah, YMMV, blah, blah. :D

Dave

Comment

We don't very often get horrific thunder storms here in Sacramento
                          Ours are quite spectacular!!! They go with the big hail! :eek: Not so bad in Albuquerque, but some of the state gets softball size hail on occasions.

Any chance that you might make it out this way in the foreseeable future?

Dave
                          "A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

www.piaudiogroup.com

http://www.avguide.com/blog/tas-rmaf...w-technologies
                          http://positive-feedback.com/Issue47/ramblings.htm
                          http://positive-feedback.com/Issue47/uber_buss.htm

Comment

Ours are quite spectacular!!! They go with the big hail! :eek: Not so bad in Albuquerque, but some of the state gets softball size hail on occasions.

Any chance that you might make it out this way in the foreseeable future?

Dave
                            Why, so that I can get pelted by softball sized hail? Ha!

No, probably not. Very long drive, unless I fly.
                            I already drove to Tijuana and back this year (May). It was a 1,200 mile round trip with several stops in Southern Calififornia on the way back.
                            (I stopped in at Speaker City there in Burbank and ALL Electronics in Van Nuys)
                            The trip really drained me, because I was on a tight schedule, had to get back on time.
                            Dentists are way cheaper down there in Mexico. $1,500 bought me a composite filling, a root canal and five (5) porcelain crowns!

Alan

Comment

I don't trust MOVs very much in that you never know when it has been used up and a lightining strike can fuse the entire line.
                              MOV are some of the best protector devices out there. However MOVs do not create common failures. To get the naive to promote more ineffective protectors, the manufacturer will undersize that protector. The MOV failure is cited by MOV manufacturers are unacceptable operation. Would not happen if the protector was properly sized and properly located. But then a protector that does not fail catastrophically does not get the naive to promote it.

Effective protectors mean nobody knew the surge existed. Therefore one 'whole house' protector (using MOVs) that must not fail even during a direct lightning strike also would not be promoted by the naive.

Essential to protection is a protector located where wires enter a building, and a short connection to single point earth (ie 'less than 10 feet').

Comment

Working...
                              X