$500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $500

Time to step out of the box and build John K's mini. Maybe a little more money but will open up a hole new world for you. Once you go dipole it's tough to go back. see it at music and design.

John

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
      I'm with Mark here. Put that 500$ towards measurement gear, and maybe soundeasy (or just use speaker workshop or Jeff B.'s PCD software). After that you should have plenty of cash left to design, build, and tweak a two way using "budget" drivers. DIY something that hasn't been done.
      I'll jump in and I totally agree with AJ.
      Dan Wiggins once stated that he felt that if you bought some good testing gear and a fist-full of cheap drivers, that at the end of a year you'd know more about this stuff than if you bought expensive drivers and read every book available.

Best Regards,
      TerryO

Comment

Originally posted by s7horton View Post
        Paul, thanks for the suggestion, that is certainly something to consider.. It may fit the budget just fine. Though, the crossover seems slightly complicated. Though the ZD5 crossover is not the simpliest in the world either..
        My Scandivifias use the same drivers, and the xover is less complicated.
        http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../Scandivifias/

The writeup is at my blog linked below.
        Ask if you have questions,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

That thought had crossed my mind. I can think of other drivers I'd like to see together. Like the L18 and a Peerless HDS.. But, without measuring equipment, or an understanding of how to design crossovers, I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

I think a lot of reading and research is in order. Work is busy right now, so learning something new like that could be difficult...

I have always been a fan of 2 ways. I've had my share of three ways when I was into buying commercially. For the money I was spending, 2 ways always sounded maybe..

I don't currently have any of the speakers shown. I tend to build them, listen to them for 6 months, and then get rid of them. Seems I'm always ready for the next project.

The 15w from scan has always intrigued me. It would just mean I can't build it right now. I also helped a friend build Troel's Ekta Grande. Very nice speaker, but it better be for well over three grand...

The biggest problem is I have some heavy fiddleback makore that is dying to be used. I would say right now, I'm torn between the Zaph L18 (again) and possibly Jay's usher/peerless design...

Thanks for all the feedback!
          In addition to Wolf's and Zaph's 15W designs, LouC has one, too.

http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/Zim/Zim.html

Just to add to the mix.

Andy.

Comment

s7horton: What are your long-term impressions of the SR71's?

I'm thrilled with mine, but don't have too much to compare them to.
            Form does not follow function
            Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

What about this Fountek kit mentioned in another thread?

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8503

I haven't heard it, but it looks nice. Plus, given that it is under your $500 budget you can save that extra $200 for your next project and build something more expensive like the ZD5.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
                s7horton: What are your long-term impressions of the SR71's?

I'm thrilled with mine, but don't have too much to compare them to.
                Well....they are gone, that pretty much says it all. I have a bad habit of not being happy with speakers. The SR71's were nice, but a little boring to listen to. And, they lacked some of the detail that I really love. I went through 40 pairs of commercial speakers in a short time (2 years). So I've heard a lot and am familiar with a lot of the gear that is out there.

The SR71 is way better than anything commerical in its price range. But, I can't help but think there is a different speaker that I will enjoy listening to more. Plus, I wasn't real crazy about the cabinets and stands that I built for them.

I'm my worst critic when it comes to woodworking, because I know I can do better..

Comment

Originally posted by mtmpenn View Post
                  What about this Fountek kit mentioned in another thread?

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8503

I haven't heard it, but it looks nice. Plus, given that it is under your $500 budget you can save that extra $200 for your next project and build something more expensive like the ZD5.
                  Does anyone have experience with this design?

Comment

...I don't currently have any of the speakers shown. I tend to build them, listen to them for 6 months, and then get rid of them. Seems I'm always ready for the next project.
                    So, do you have any speakers currently? If not, adding a bass bin or the like is out of the question. I assume you sold the ones you've built previously. I'm curious how you found buyers. I'm almost done with my first set, which I'm very happy with, but I'm itching to build more. I'm just not sure any of my friends are that into it that they would buy a pair, even at break even prices - everyone seems content with cheap Best Buy type stuff.

The Marcato is the design of Paul's I was refering to. A bit out of budget, but very nice. On the other hand, it is a tower. Is part of your preference for 2-ways stand mount designs?

Any chance you can make it to the PE Tent Sale next weekend? That might take care of the Marcato being over budget.

Personally, I've been intrigued by the 8945P and HDS pairing since both are such low distortion drivers. To beat them you have to double your budget (at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ebert View Post
                      So, do you have any speakers currently? If not, adding a bass bin or the like is out of the question. I assume you sold the ones you've built previously. I'm curious how you found buyers. I'm almost done with my first set, which I'm very happy with, but I'm itching to build more. I'm just not sure any of my friends are that into it that they would buy a pair, even at break even prices - everyone seems content with cheap Best Buy type stuff.

The Marcato is the design of Paul's I was refering to. A bit out of budget, but very nice. On the other hand, it is a tower. Is part of your preference for 2-ways stand mount designs?

Any chance you can make it to the PE Tent Sale next weekend? That might take care of the Marcato being over budget.

Personally, I've been intrigued by the 8945P and HDS pairing since both are such low distortion drivers. To beat them you have to double your budget (at least).

I've been fortunate enough to sell every pair that I've built. All of them sold online. I'm not necessarily stuck on stand mount, though that has been my preference in the past. The tent sale is probably out of the question. I live in West Michigan, and am actually in Fort Wayne, IN as I type this. Next weekend is tied up though.

Right now, I think I'm down to three designs. The peerless HDS/usher design that Jay did, the floor standing version of the zaph zd5, and the idea of a peerless hds/Seas L18 design that Jay might be able to help me with.

I know the zd5 is more expensive, but I can cover the overage if I sell my parasound halo T3...... The next question becomes, though, if the zd5 will set me back like $800, another couple hundred will get me to the ZRT..... Too many decisions.

I've really considered designing my own, but I have zero equipment for it. And, as I understand it, even though I have a degree in engineering, there is still a substantial learning curve. If, for nothing else, than to learn the software. Let alone the methods behind the software.

Comment

make a pair of sub boxes as bases for your speakers. use a set of rss315 hf's

2 of these
                        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-444

2 of these
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Hafler-Fosgate-A...lenotsupported

plus boxes you would be at 550. they would work with any of your speakers built.
                        see thumbnails below
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't have any of the speakers I've built any more. Which is why I started this thread. I'm not convinced that bottom end is really the issue I have.

I think that the overall sound can be better than what I've built before. I've never been attracted to the bottom end. I appreciate more vocal reproduction and imaging.

Comment

So do I. This is hard to explain until you hear it for yourself in person.
                            Those are focal mtm's they use a 900 dollar a pair tweeter they use 2 200 dollar 7 inch mid woofers.
                            (note I did not pay 1700 for the drivers that is list)

They play great to 60hz, and they cover all the highs. I run those subs from 45hz to 100 hz I run the focals from 100hz up. The sound is much improved. I have a lot of high end 7 inch speakers mtm's . Using
                            scanspeak,
                            seas,
                            excell,
                            Jordan,
                            focal.
                            All have f3's from 45 to 60hz. everyone sounds better crossed at 100hz to those 12 inch sealed subs. I have alot of problems conveying this idea. I believe every 7 inch woofer would be better off crossed 20 to 80hz higher then its best f3 rating. I have never heard a 7 inch woofer play to 35hz better then it plays crossed higher 60hz to 100hz. The trick is the subs used to under cross it need to be well above their f3 . the pair in that photo is nht1259 they f3 at 28hz I bandpass them 45hz to 100hz. the real bottom end is an IB run from 17hz to 50hz and i turn it off for music.

I will tell you what whenever you build mt's or mtm's you have an invite to bring them to my home and hi-pass them at 100hz with my nht's playing 45hz to 100hz. phil

Comment

I don't have any of the speakers I've built any more. Which is why I started this thread. I'm not convinced that bottom end is really the issue I have.

I think that the overall sound can be better than what I've built before. I've never been attracted to the bottom end. I appreciate more vocal reproduction and imaging.
                              I think what others are trying to say here, in regards to adding a sub, is that by adding a sub and high-passing the 2-ways you can reduce distortion in the 2-ways and achieve more of the clean, detailed sound you're craving.
                              Form does not follow function
                              Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

... The tent sale is probably out of the question. I live in West Michigan, and am actually in Fort Wayne, IN as I type this. Next weekend is tied up though.
                                You don't need the tent sale as much as you need the DIY meet. InDIYana was my first, and I found it a very enlightening experience - listening to 16 different DIY designs with an opportunity to talk with the designers about what they did to get the sound they achieved. You've auditioned many commercial designs, built several DIY designs, but have you ever auditioned DIY designs?

My point is that a speaker is a combination of drivers, crossovers and enclosures. DIY requires selection of each, but the starting point is the drivers. You ought to listen to a bunch of them, rather than asking us which ones will sound good to you. DIY meets are a great place to do that.

HAve fun,
                                Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X