$500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $500

I built both of these 3-ways for under $500, they might give you the sound and build you want.

FCT3.8 (Flames)

FCZ3.5
    Ed

Comment

Where in west michigan do you live? I'm right in Grand Rapids!

Comment

Hi,

My own two cents...you've already built some great designs with good drivers(and done a beautiful job on them too)...so what's lacking? Maybe 2-ways just don't have the oomph you want?

If you still have any of those designs you metioned why not buy another pair of the woofers, and make them a 2.5-way? You'll already know the qualities of the drivers your using, you can probably re-use most of the crossover parts in the new crossover and you'll get a more efficient and much cleaner-sounding speaker.

It will mean designing a new crossover, but those are very well documented designs/drivers. PCD and the other FRC-tools are great once you get the hang of it.

I started with an extremis-based two way (with seas 27tbfcg tweeter) which was great, but it's even better as a 2.5-way. No lack of oomph! :-)

Gordon
        Gordon
        --------------------
        Speaker projects:
        Microbe: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...Picture005.jpg
        Extremish: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...h/IMG_0013.jpg
        Seas27TBFCG/VifaXT18: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...Picture155.jpg
        in progress: http://s234.photobucket.com/user/gor...-way%20project

Comment

Originally posted by Eric.DeYoung View Post
          Where in west michigan do you live? I'm right in Grand Rapids!
          Grand Rapids, Mi... Kentwood to be exact. Where do you live? (sounds like a weird question since you already told me, but are you in GR or one of the six surrounding cities?)

Comment

Originally posted by gordoncalder View Post
            Hi,

My own two cents...you've already built some great designs with good drivers(and done a beautiful job on them too)...so what's lacking? Maybe 2-ways just don't have the oomph you want?

If you still have any of those designs you metioned why not buy another pair of the woofers, and make them a 2.5-way? You'll already know the qualities of the drivers your using, you can probably re-use most of the crossover parts in the new crossover and you'll get a more efficient and much cleaner-sounding speaker.

It will mean designing a new crossover, but those are very well documented designs/drivers. PCD and the other FRC-tools are great once you get the hang of it.

I started with an extremis-based two way (with seas 27tbfcg tweeter) which was great, but it's even better as a 2.5-way. No lack of oomph! :-)

Gordon

Oomp, I don't think, is what is lacking. I do not have any of the designs I built. I don't own a pair of speakers right now. I need to build a pair so I have some.

What was missing was having fun listening to a speaker. The SR71 was good, but I found it bored me after a while. Also, I think there are speakers out there that do better with voices (both male and female). The ZD5 had me interested because it is still a zaph design, but steps up to better drivers.

Comment

OK, you caught me, I'm actually going to Grand Valley, and at this point I'm living in Allendale, soon to be Walker after this semester is over.

Comment

Originally posted by s7horton View Post
                Oomp, I don't think, is what is lacking. I do not have any of the designs I built. I don't own a pair of speakers right now. I need to build a pair so I have some.

What was missing was having fun listening to a speaker. The SR71 was good, but I found it bored me after a while. Also, I think there are speakers out there that do better with voices (both male and female). The ZD5 had me interested because it is still a zaph design, but steps up to better drivers.
                you are losing the voices by playing yours woofers too low. I repeat every 7 inch speaker design will improve mid/tweeter sound (voices) by hi passing it 20hz to 80hz above f3 point. you hear congested voices due to the lower bass being played through your speakers. By the way they look great I wish I could get mine to look as good as yours do.
                If you want a 2 way speaker to sound better (in the human voice range) the next one you build whatever design it is Actively high pass it 20 to 80 hz above the f3 all the voices will become clearer. You can do whatever you want with the bass you left out It is as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by s7horton View Post
                  So, you have been into speaker building for a while. You have examined Zaph's site closely, as well as Tony Gee and Troels Gravesen. You enjoy 2 way stand mount speakers sans subwoofer.

You have $500 bucks you are dying to spend on your next speaker build. You've built the extremon from Tony Gee...

You've built the Zaph L18:

And you've built the Zaph SR71:

What is your next project?

Do you build another L18 again, cause that is a really cool speaker? Do you do nothing and save up for the Zaph ZD5 in a ported floor stander, or the Troels CNO's? Or, do you wait for your friends on the PE board to suggest a really cool design that fits in your budget and sounds better than anything else you have built??

Come on... everyone has an opinion.. even you.. feel free to share.

Thanks!
                  It would seem that you're already an accomplished cabinet builder, so this might just be something interesting and is "just" within the budget:

http://www.soundstage.com/diwhy/diwhy200804.htm

I've got a pair and they certainly are good, in fact they're reference quality and a pretty good deal for what you end up with. They use the Peerless HDS tweeter and a proprietary XBL2 midwoofer.

Best Regards,
                  TerryO

Comment

are the any guides for building a curved speaker enclosure

like the sonus faber cremona

Comment

I had the pleasure of hearing the Seas L18 matched to the Peerless HDS crossed at 1.7 just a couple of years ago. They sounded amazing with tight bass and very clear vocals. Sadly, the guy wouldn't share his crossover.
                      Mark's ER18DXT looks interesting. Also, the Seas Indun looks good. I may be wrong but I think Zaph mentioned that he may work up something with the Seas U18RNX/P.
                      No matter where you go, there you are.
                      Website

Comment

Re: Gowa's experience

I've never understood people's desire to keep their DIY projects a secret. Unless you plan on making the project a commercial design, why not share the design with others?

Color me confused...
                        Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8626051@N04/sets/

Comment

Must be he wanted to monetize the design, although it uses off the shelf drivers. Good luck with that, whatever...

Comment

Working...
                          X