OT: So this is what being self-employed feels like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: So this is what being self-employed feels like

Well my friends, this is day one of the rest of my life. Today was supposed to be the last day I spent working at the office but we decided to wrap things up early. My co-worker and I busted our humps yesterday clearing out the office and packing up the last of our equipment thus thrusting us into the world one day earlier than scheduled. I am happy to be sure. There was one interesting occurrence yesterday before I left in that I had a talk with one very well connected gentleman. I had to call one of our support vendors with a shipping question and was directed to one of the big wheels of the company. We had met a couple of times in the past through a couple of jobs I had so he knows my background and experience level. He very kindly asked for my contact information so if he came across anything he could get hold of me. This is a company that supplies equipment and support to a huge customer base so the prospects of more business for me are pretty decent. Totally out of the blue but some of the best things in life are the unexpected ones.

So today I'm busy dealing with internet connection issues, working on artwork for the freelance business I have (which is quite a bit all of a sudden), setting up my latest computer additions to suit my needs and basically enjoying being my own boss. The coolest thing is that every day is take your dog to work day:D. It feels weird being here, it's as if a small part of my purpose is gone whenever I think of my job leaving me as it did but the one thing we both said at work is that our jobs are not our identities. It was sad to leave the people I spent so much time interacting with on a daily basis but I really have to say I have this odd feeling of relief now that I'm out on my own.

shawn
    My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Re: OT: So this is what being self-employed feels like

Shawn,

I think I can kind of relate just a little to what you're feeling. Last year about this time, I quit my job to finish college and try to become a teacher. It was a weird feeling not going in to work at first. I took classes online so my computer was my classroom. The adjustment was not small and it felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders -- A happy taste of what retirement will be like if it still exists when we get that age!

For 17 years I had been a graphic artist at a newspaper; now I was unemployed and had no prospects for a job, or even a bachelor's degree yet. Thank God, He provided both within months and things have worked out well. I'm still taking additional college classes and will be for about 2 1/2 more years, but I can't complain, I'm on the path.

I hope your job solution is rewarding and enjoyable, whatever it ends up being!

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Hi Tom. First it was great to meet you at the show Saturday. I've been doing the graphic artist gig for about 17 years now myself in one way or another. This is the first time I've really been in a place to call myself self-employed and it's a real kick to think of myself in those terms. I talked with one of the show judges, Vance to be quite specific, and it was a fun little chat we had about being self-employed. He's done it for many years and warned me of just how much time it takes up. I was under no disillusions that it was going to be fun and games (the past 14 hours dealing with internet problems attest to that) but day one is progressing well. I'm sitting here in my comfy chair with a beer at my side waiting for the go-ahead on a project. What a job huh? I am feeling rather positive about things right now even though it's going to be a lot of work.

Best wishes in your pursuits, Tom. I'm still investigating continuing my education one way or another. I just need to take a bit of time to weigh the options and choose a direction. Right now life is good. Hopefully it's better for us all on down the line.

shawn

Comment

Hey, congrats, Shawn!

You will be just fine. In fact, you will love your new found freedom! I learned long ago not to put all my eggs in the single basket and it has paid off nicely. You will also be amazed how much you can get done now not being forced to have your ideas sifted through the various layers of the corporate crap hierarchy. I suspect your productivity will increase markedly!
        Dave H

Comment

I work lots of half days...7:30 to 7:30. Then sometime after the kids go to bed I work a couple more hours. Fortunatley, I do love what I do and it has it's rewards. Four of my kids have scholarships to big time universities for the class of 2010. And as a facility we have 8 players ranked in the top 100 in the nation.

You already know how I feel about being entrepreneurial. Have fun with it. :D
          DP

Comment

Shawn,
            congrats on the start of the work from home gig and being your own boss. My company downsized me out of an office cubicle to a home office several years ago, so not quite the same, but you will be smiling when gas hits $4 plus a gallon as you walk to work with your slippers on. There is one HUGE pit fall to not having any direct supervison - I find myself following the travails of others on this forum during work more than I should!
            still lurking...

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_a View Post
              Well my friends, this is day one of the rest of my life. ... today I'm busy dealing with internet connection issues, working on artwork for the freelance business I have (which is quite a bit all of a sudden), setting up my latest computer additions to suit my needs and basically enjoying being my own boss. The coolest thing is that every day is take your dog to work day:D.
              Shawn, good for you

Being "The Man" is satisfying as is being the secretary and the janitor, too. Knowing that there is no one but ourselves to point our fingers at is liberating and terrifying at the same time :eek: , but it is all worth it in the long run. I have finally, after almost 15 years of being off the bicycle, started riding again. It is a time that I can organize my thoughts and prepare for the day instead of fighting the traffic going to work for 30 minutes and then spending 20 minutes trying to get the office up and running. I'm sure that walking the dog will give you plenty of "head space" time as well as being with your friend.

I hope for the best for you and pray that it all turns out as well as you want. Oh, yeah: it's pretty cool to not have to pay all of the payroll taxes that you do when you are employed by others.

Enjoy.

Dave
              "A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

www.piaudiogroup.com

http://www.avguide.com/blog/tas-rmaf...w-technologies
              http://positive-feedback.com/Issue47/ramblings.htm
              http://positive-feedback.com/Issue47/uber_buss.htm

Comment

I wish you the best of luck, Shawn. I really missed not being able to attend the event last weekend, and I was especially looking forward to meeting and talking with Vance Dickason.
                Paul

Hi Tom. First it was great to meet you at the show Saturday. I've been doing the graphic artist gig for about 17 years now myself in one way or another. This is the first time I've really been in a place to call myself self-employed and it's a real kick to think of myself in those terms. I talked with one of the show judges, Vance to be quite specific, and it was a fun little chat we had about being self-employed. He's done it for many years and warned me of just how much time it takes up. I was under no disillusions that it was going to be fun and games (the past 14 hours dealing with internet problems attest to that) but day one is progressing well. I'm sitting here in my comfy chair with a beer at my side waiting for the go-ahead on a project. What a job huh? I am feeling rather positive about things right now even though it's going to be a lot of work.

Best wishes in your pursuits, Tom. I'm still investigating continuing my education one way or another. I just need to take a bit of time to weigh the options and choose a direction. Right now life is good. Hopefully it's better for us all on down the line.

shawn

Comment

When I went independent, I described it as "jumping off a cliff and hoping to find a parachute on the way down." I found it and it was golden. May yours be the same. -- Doug

Comment

Congrats!

I work for a very small company myself. My boss is the owner and his sister is the secretary, erm sorry, the "office manager/treasurer" and then there's me. We do have an apprentice that is kinda part time. So I see what it like in close quarters to run a business.

BTW what is it you do? Graphic artist I'm assuming from the post above.

Comment

Well my friends, this is day one of the rest of my life. Today was supposed to be the last day I spent working at the office but we decided to wrap things up early. My co-worker and I busted our humps yesterday clearing out the office and packing up the last of our equipment thus thrusting us into the world one day earlier than scheduled. I am happy to be sure. There was one interesting occurrence yesterday before I left in that I had a talk with one very well connected gentleman. I had to call one of our support vendors with a shipping question and was directed to one of the big wheels of the company. We had met a couple of times in the past through a couple of jobs I had so he knows my background and experience level. He very kindly asked for my contact information so if he came across anything he could get hold of me. This is a company that supplies equipment and support to a huge customer base so the prospects of more business for me are pretty decent. Totally out of the blue but some of the best things in life are the unexpected ones.

So today I'm busy dealing with internet connection issues, working on artwork for the freelance business I have (which is quite a bit all of a sudden), setting up my latest computer additions to suit my needs and basically enjoying being my own boss. The coolest thing is that every day is take your dog to work day:D. It feels weird being here, it's as if a small part of my purpose is gone whenever I think of my job leaving me as it did but the one thing we both said at work is that our jobs are not our identities. It was sad to leave the people I spent so much time interacting with on a daily basis but I really have to say I have this odd feeling of relief now that I'm out on my own.

shawn
                      I know you'll be just fine, so enjoy! I'm sure Shade/Gizmo will cause enough trouble as if they were employed by you....
                      Take it easy!
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'd like to echo what the others have said here, but I can't:( I can only wish for the day when I might be able to make the leap into the journey that you've undertaken. It may not ever happen. But, I'm thrilled for you, my friend, and I wish you all the best!

Mark
                        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          I know you'll be just fine, so enjoy! I'm sure Shade/Gizmo will cause enough trouble as if they were employed by you....
                          Take it easy!
                          Wolf
                          Yep, I already formed my executive board. Gizmo is the new CWO (Chief Weirdness Officer) and Shady is the new CPO (Chief Pretty-Boy Officer) of my little enterprise. I'll call you tomorrow night sometime. Need to talk a bit about some stuff.

shawn

Comment

Originally posted by dougjohnson View Post
                            "jumping off a cliff and hoping to find a parachute on the way down."
                            Oh how true that is. Gonna steal that one for some motivational purpose.

shawn

Comment

Yep, I already formed my executive board. Gizmo is the new CWO (Chief Weirdness Officer) and Shady is the new CPO (Chief Pretty-Boy Officer) of my little enterprise. I'll call you tomorrow night sometime. Need to talk a bit about some stuff.

shawn
                              Okay!
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X