HT purchase advice . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT purchase advice . . .

I'm getting ready to splurge and finally get an HDTV. So, I'd also like to get an HDMI ready receiver to go with it.

I'm looking at the Mitsubishi WD65735, 1080p 65" DLP HDTV.
    http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/p...?id=MITWD65735
    http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/WD65735

Also, Denon AVR-1909
    http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/p...?id=DENAVR1909
    http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4241.asp

Or this Sharp 42" Aquos.
    http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/p...id=SHALC46D65U

What do you think of those? Decent deals? Reasonable features?

Your feedback on these is appreciated.

Not trying to set new standards by any means, just trying to get bang for the buck.
    Last edited by Pete Schumacher; 07-23-2009, 10:21 PM. Reason: found a review less than flattering on the HDTV in question
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Re: HT purchase advice . . .

Well look at that, we have a Mitsu Diamond series HDTV (LCD) and a Denon receiver for HDMI! I'll get back to you later, gotta run.

NK
    I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

I have a denon avr886, 110w. I'm happy with mine. I have a harmon Kardon avr, it's sitting on the floor. The price looks fair also.

Comment

what is you viewing distance? if its only 8ft or so the 42" might be fine. if its more, than go bigger. trust me. you might shy away from the dlp unless its the kind that has led's instead of a lamp. led would be the best bet.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

The Samsung LCDs with LED backlight are terrific, only the Pioneer KURO has better blacks. For a mid priced receiver I'm in love with Onkyo. I have the 806 and it is superb with every video and audio feaatue tou could use.

JohnZ

Comment

The Samsung LCDs with LED backlight are terrific, only the Pioneer KURO has better blacks. For a mid priced receiver I'm in love with Onkyo. I have the 806 and it is superb with every video and audio feature you could use.

JohnZ

Comment

Originally posted by arlis_1957@yahoo.com View Post
              what is you viewing distance? if its only 8ft or so the 42" might be fine. if its more, than go bigger. trust me. you might shy away from the dlp unless its the kind that has led's instead of a lamp. led would be the best bet.
              8' - 9' would be the average viewing distance.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

We have this Mitsu:

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/p...?id=MITLT52149

It's a fantastic television with great black levels, and amazing off-axis imaging. 'Can't go wrong with a Mitsu Diamond, IMO.

We also have a Denon 2807. I love the processing capability, it runs HDMI flawlessly, and has a great upconverter. However, I feel it's amplifier is very lacking. In retrospect I'd only purchase a Denon AVR for processing, to use the pre-outs with another amp. (Which we're now doing).

NK
                I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Originally posted by nick29498141 View Post
                  We have this Mitsu:

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/p...?id=MITLT52149

It's a fantastic television with great black levels, and amazing off-axis imaging. 'Can't go wrong with a Mitsu Diamond, IMO.

We also have a Denon 2807. I love the processing capability, it runs HDMI flawlessly, and has a great upconverter. However, I feel it's amplifier is very lacking. In retrospect I'd only purchase a Denon AVR for processing, to use the pre-outs with another amp. (Which we're now doing).

NK
                  What outboard amp are you using? They have the AVR1609 for $300. Would that be a reasonable front end?

Also, I'm only needing a 5.1 setup, if that even matters anymore.

Comment

The mitsu's are indeed nice, but those new LED screens are way awesome.

(I have a mitsu)

Most samsung televisions are also excellent performers.
                    I am trolling you.

Comment

We got a 47" Samsung LCD a year or so ago.. think the '550 series. After looking around quite a bit, and talking to a disturbingly honest Ken Crane's salesman (then guy would go on and on about various tech points that AREN'T worth the money, why a cheaper set could be better than many more expensive ones...) I settled on the one I got. Been very happy with it.

Probably worth having someone do a "calibration", or do it yourself (this probably only applies to LCD/Plasma?) you end up with a better overall picture, and the thing typically draws less power due to the backlight getting turned down from the default "zap your eyes in the store" setting.

One thing to know, the Sony sets and the Samsung sets share the same screen manufacturer. His opinion, maybe Sony has the edge on Samsung with the processing electronics... hence the price shift. He also thought much of the fancy features were more marketing than engineering effective...

Yeah, the LED backlighted ones are a definite step up, and shouldn't have any fading over time... but they do have a hefty price delta!

Happy Big Screen, whatever you get!!

Comment

If the newest lossless Audio Codecs on blue ray interest you Pete, make sure your BlueRay player decodes them, as the 1909 can't. The Pioneer VSX-819 has a bit more capability and a better amp section IMO...for a few bucks more of course. I use a 7.1 receiver in one of my setups and use the extra channels to Biamp my mains which is a selectable option in the menu( Pio VSX 1019)

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                          If the newest lossless Audio Codecs on blue ray interest you Pete, make sure your BlueRay player decodes them, as the 1909 can't. The Pioneer VSX-819 has a bit more capability and a better amp section IMO...for a few bucks more of course. I use a 7.1 receiver in one of my setups and use the extra channels to Biamp my mains which is a selectable option in the menu( Pio VSX 1019)
                          Tell me more about this bi-amp option. Is the XO point adjustable? Individual amp gain settings? Best buy has that VSX1019 for $510.

Comment

Since you are just looking for bang for your buck and a good starting point, I think the Denon is a fine choice. I have the 1909 in my living room, and a 2807 in my theater. I agree with the earlier comment that the amp section of the 2807 is a bit lacking, but unless you are comparing it to external amps or another high priced, high quality AVR, I'm not sure you will notice the difference. In my living room setup with the 1909, I am running some bookshelf speakers (RB kits), and I've always been amazed with the sound quality. But I think that is becuase I was not expecting as good of quality from my DIY speakers and a model or two lower than my main AVR downstairs.

Long story short, you'll be happy with the 1909. One word of warning, do setup the Auto Room EQ, but do some comparing with the EQ turned on and off. I always had my Room EQ turned on until about 6 months ago when I discovered it seems to dull the highs a little bit in an attempted to flattened everything across the range. But using my laptop and software, I could it was having the opposite effect (FOR MY ROOM!). Every room is different.
                            My Home Theater Build thread
                            My DIY Speaker builds

My Gear:
                            Emotiva XMC-1
                            Emotiva XPR-2
                            Emotiva XPA-5
                            Clearwave Dynamics 4T and 4CC (mains)
                            Paradigm Millennia LP (surrounds)
                            Oppo 103D
                            Mede8er 600X3D w/ 4TB
                            Marantz CD-5004
                            AppleTV
                            JVC RS-4910 Projector
                            100" Screen Innovations Pure Gray Screen w/ LED kit
                            APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (x2)
                            iRule controlling it all....

Comment

I would not consider LCD, myself. Plasma still has smoother color graduations and better characteristics for fast motion. DLP is close to plasma in image quality. The best LCD televisions still don't measure up to the absolute image quality characteristics of a high quality plasma. As for black levels, a good value is nice to have, but this is still only one single variable, where there are many that must be considered. I'll take a 2 year old Panasonic 1080P 50" plasmas over the latest/greatest equivalent sized LCD. The plasma will still create more film-like, more realistic images, due to it's finer control of subtle tones/contrasts and absolute lack of any motion blur. I also prefer a high quality DLP to the LCDs.

Do keep in mind that I more likely more sensitive to image characteristics due my past background in imaging; using pro level monitors for many years and having to work on images daily in a professional capacity. If this had not been my history, it's likely I would be far less critical of such details, and a modern LCD television might be just fine to me. Based on the number of people that don't even notice the differences and are perfectly happy with LCD televisions, you may be fine with it as well.

As for receivers; I would research this heavily on a site like www.audioholics.com forum or avs forum, where experts on this particular subject are present.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X