Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audiogon, "Linn Audio", and a Dayton APA-150... your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audiogon, "Linn Audio", and a Dayton APA-150... your thoughts?

Hey Everyone:

I haven't posted in quite a while, but have been around the board for quite a few years. Admittedly I haven't posted for a while, because I live in a small apartment in the city with no space to build anything.

Anyway, I've recently noticed something that piqued my curiosity on a few levels. Audiogon has seeming ubiquitous advertisements for Linn Audio and their Reference Granite speakers that supposedly retail for $59,000. I was curious, because even with very little DIY knowledge the driver compliment of these speakers seemed "unique" to me.

http://www.linnaudionh.com/

I thought that this was the extent of the strangeness on their site until I looked at their amplifiers section.

http://www.linnaudionh.com/amplifiers.html

I think everyone will recognize the amps that are displayed here, but what you might not recognize are the prices attached to them. The $1,950 LANH power amp looks curiously like a Dayton APA-150. Mostly because you can see the logo in the pictures. The site claims to have worked with the manufacturers to upgrade parts for audiophile listeners - $1,800 in upgraded parts - hmmmm.

I posted about this on Audiogon, but it appears they censored my post - likely because it is their advertiser. I'm curious as to what others think about this. Is this the internet version of white van speakers? Does Dayton know about this and/or support the claims of upgraded parts? Does Audiogon have an obligation to its members to only supply ad space to legitimate advertisers? Just a few questions I had.

Re: Audiogon, "Linn Audio", and a Dayton APA-150... your thoughts?

Originally posted by jml View Post
    Hey Everyone:

I think everyone will recognize the amps that are displayed here, but what you might not recognize are the prices attached to them. The $1,950 LANH power amp looks curiously like a Dayton APA-150. Mostly because you can see the logo in the pictures. The site claims to have worked with the manufacturers to upgrade parts for audiophile listeners - $1,800 in upgraded parts - hmmmm.
    Not just the logo but it says Dayton on the back panel as well!

They claim that "It has a very sweet and pure sound, suitable for the mid to high range of a system. It is so pure, that it can rival many tube amps for low distortion, and sonic purity."

I wonder what they've done to it if anything? :rolleyes:

Louis

Comment

Wow, those were some expensive upgrades. These were oriinally the Emotiva BP-1 amp. I own one of them. Later they became available in the Dayton line. I don't know if Emotiva makes them or not or if they sourced them from another supplier that PE now uses.

That 500w amp look like the Behringer A500 to me, without actually comparing pictures.
      Dan N.

Comment

I would be very skeptical about anything from this Linn Audio; it appears to me that they have an artifically high price just to appeal to people having more money than common sense as well as bigger is better. Also, even though it may not be intentional or illegal, there is another well-established Linn audio company in Scotland, that makes very good and not terribly expensive high-end equipment, and maybe someone is hoping for consumers to get confused and think they're buying equipment from Scotland?
        Paul

Comment

This is only a minor things, but kind of funny. I also noticed that the speakers appear to have grilles on the top woofer but not the bottom woofer (the one at foot hight). Even if one grill is simply removed for the photos this makes no logical sense - nobody is going to damage that top woofer that is eighteen feet off the ground

JML

Comment

$500 for Dayton Cables??!!!

I'm thinking lawsuit.

NK
            I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Holy crap is that ever crooked. seriously.

Is this a joke? The phase coherence on those speakers is going to be abysmal no matter what.

Wow.
              I am trolling you.

Comment

Higherfi in MSP is their main dealer. Wonder if they have a storefront?

Comment

JML
                  Those speakers look very interesting!

The sensitivity is 97-107 db. the impedance is 4-8 ohms. Geezze, could they get a little more ambiguous?

Also, check out the third pic to the right on this page...

http://www.linnaudionh.com/services1.html

Can you see the joint between the layers of black painted MDF on the top woofer baffle?

.... and a TMT? Never heard of that.

Thanks for the chuckle.
                  It's nice to know that my APA 150 amp is worth close to 2 grand!

TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Comment

If you weren't already running out to pick up a pair of these maybe the Recession Special will change your mind.

http://www.linnaudionh.com/recession.html

Comment

• They probably integrate very well at 100 feet
                        • With 97-107db efficiency they couple nicely with a Behringer A500, er I mean Lanh amp.
                        • Sold at "finer" Hi-Fi stores near you
                        • Sleek small footprint
                        • Seas magnificent woofers
                        • Act now, supplies are limited.
                        • Limited time free Ronco dehydrator.
                        • Comes with guy photoshopped out of background for dramatic effect.

Comment

I got it!!!!!!!

$1800 bucks for the added Dayton logos. That must be what the 'cheap' dayton amps are missing that in turn produces low quality audio.
                          If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Just the gigantic speaker version of B*se
                            It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Originally posted by mattk View Post
                              just The Gigantic Speaker Version Of B*se
                              Haha!

Comment

Working...
                              X