"Mr. East" nearing completion....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Mr. East" nearing completion....

I like that thinking outside of the box!!!
    Cool

Comment

Originally posted by rwrankin View Post
      Very Cool Wolf, very cool, I am stumped as to what a Menard's is other than a race car manufacturer but I doubt that is what you meant and am totally stumped as to the "E*** board" could be. Could you give us a little hint? That composite board has me interested in getting my hands on some.

Thanks!
      Menard's is like a Lowe's, HD, etc.

It's 3/8" thick, and only came in 2'x4' IIRC, comparatively priced like MDF. I just don't recall the name. It was E--- composite plasti-board. It has some flexing to it in long lengths, and is usually a little warped. Nothing the clamped/screwed assembly couldn't correct though. It is also a little rough in texture, before sanding. Sanding is highly recommended!! Any Krylon Fusion paint bonds to it well, and just clear-coat over it.
      HTH,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
        Mr. Wolf,

I love how you seem to make small speakers sound big. Even if you never posted your name to this one, I think I'd still know it was you that made it.

TomZ
        :D:D:D
        Shoot- I'm probably the only person who would TRY something with a 2" driver in this manner.

Guilty as charged!!

I hope it sounds bigger than au naturale, and I have not done the network yet. I've been working on MAX lately.

Later,
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Wolf, the material you're using looks like what I would call, generically, "Masonite". I just bought some at Menards (2' x4' panel) myself. 3/8" is about as thick as I've seen it come, though. The cool thing about it is that, unlike MDF, it is amenable to bending (think: laminate technique for curved sided boxes) and doesn't use anything formaldehyde-based to bond the wood fibers (easier on your lungs). It's also great to use for jigs and fixtures around the shop.

If it's not called "Masonite" at other stores like Home Depot or Lowes, just look for thin composite panel from 1/8" to 3/8" that flexes pretty easily. It's a common material. Many times, one side is slick and finished (more so than MDF), and the other side is rougher. And if you want to get crazy, you'll find that it may smell more like corrugated cardboard than MDF.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by stinems View Post
            Wolf, the material you're using looks like what I would call, generically, "Masonite". I just bought some at Menards (2' x4' panel) myself. 3/8" is about as thick as I've seen it come, though. The cool thing about it is that, unlike MDF, it is amenable to bending (think: laminate technique for curved sided boxes) and doesn't use anything formaldehyde-based to bond the wood fibers (easier on your lungs). It's also great to use for jigs and fixtures around the shop.

If it's not called "Masonite" at other stores like Home Depot or Lowes, just look for thin composite panel from 1/8" to 3/8" that flexes pretty easily. It's a common material. Many times, one side is slick and finished (more so than MDF), and the other side is rougher. And if you want to get crazy, you'll find that it may smell more like corrugated cardboard than MDF.

Sam
            The stuff he was refering to as e*** isn't masonite, masonite is just hardboard or HDF etc. which is shown in his pictures as well as the brown pieces. E*** is plastic in nature the grey-ish stuff in the pictures.
            ----------------------------------
            Gear:
            Samsung PN50A650
            Yamaha RX-V2500
            Hafler DH-200
            AC130MKII/BG NEO3PDR Two-Ways
            RS390HF-4 w/ HPSA500

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
              The stuff he was refering to as e*** isn't masonite, masonite is just hardboard or HDF etc. which is shown in his pictures as well as the brown pieces. E*** is plastic in nature the grey-ish stuff in the pictures.
              Correct!

The 'Hardboard' from HD is the brown stuff, used as templates, etc.

The E*** is a plasti-composite grey. I know it starts with E, and is 3 or 4 upper case letters, hence hard to remember.

Thanks, Justin!
              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I like this sort of design, hmmm, may be I can apply this to my current project...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  Shoot- I'm probably the only person who would TRY something with a 2" driver in this manner.
                  Nope.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fwater View Post
                    Nope.
                    What driver did you use?
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

kinda looks like a big eyeball.
                      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

What driver did you use?
                        Wolf
                        W2-880. Around 14"x14 mouth, and ~14" length, approximating a 300Hz tractrix profile. I got what sounds like an enormous hump similar to yours (ears are my only equipment). A 3 or 4 mfd cap put me in the neighborhood of tolerable, but then ruined the efficiency (although there is still a little gain there). A second order filter just turned it into a tweeter. My best luck so far has been experimenting with a combination of a high pass near the 9 to 12 mfd range and then a "physical crossover" such as different stuffings in the throat or stretched across the mouth or both, but again at a cost, this time being loss of high end. These were concieved early in my audio DIY days where I was convinced that I could reinvent the wheel and defy physics. I still drag them out now and then to fiddle around and see if I'd like to do a three-way (hehe, do a three-way, hehe). A tweeter coming in at around 7 or 8K first order and a 15" woof would yield a medium effiency system, but so would the Dayton mid on sale today. Fail.

I have yet to try these with a roubst tweeter. Most of the gain sounds like it's in the 1 to 2K region instead of the 300 to 1K Hz region as I had hoped, so maybe a first order 3K could yield me a band from 1K up. I also have not tried any of the numerous 2" drivers PE has on the cheap right now. But I'm sure they'll roll through at one time or another...

These horns do excel, in spades, at fulfilling their toe-stubbing requirements.

Comment

Re: "Mr. East" contour-network tested....

I don't have a pic up yet, but let's just say it's TINY. I used the cheapest/smallest parts I've extracted from other networks, that were closest to the spec, so you are able to mess with values as it suits you.

I used a 3.3 ohm 5W and 15.6uF (measured NPE) cap; and then a notch with a cheap iron-core 0.87mH (measured) 24AWG coil, a 13 ohm 5W resistor, and a 4.7uF (labeled NPE, not measured) cap.

For adjustment- the 3.3 ohm resistor can be lessened if you want less top-end. This is a contour filter to lift the treble a smidge.

As to the sound of a single- I still have to assemble the second one- it does okay, and better than expected. Bass to at least 100 Hz is acknowledged and decent. Midrange is nice, and treble is decent. Honk is gone. I do recommend using an active high-pass at a minimum of 60 Hz, preferably 80 Hz, to limit the Xmax possibility.

As to assembly, I added a foam 'square-ring' to go under the flare around the driver. This is fit tightly, and slightly compressed. I also have a gasket between the horn flare and the box and driver. This eliminated any possible cavity resonance, buzz between the driver and flare, as well as sealing the leaks that could be possible.

I will post pictures later of this assembly. The news and reviews are good! I had it auditioned by 3 of my peers Saturday, and it was deemed acceptable.
                          I'll keep the progress posted,
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I heard a single one of these Saturday. It put out a pretty amazing amount of sound for a 2" driver and it sounded good to boot. The crossover was the size of about 1/3 of a credit card, IIRC. :eek: It looked like a toy crossover it was so small.

Wolf also has his airborne driver project sounding very good, with some changes he just made.
                            Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by PunkSweeper View Post
                              "Voice of the...Desktop."
                              "VOTD" Maybe it'll command 5 figures in it's original battleship grey someday, too. :p

NK
                              I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Re: "Mr. East" contour-network tested....

I don't have a pic up yet, but let's just say it's TINY. I used the cheapest/smallest parts I've extracted from other networks, that were closest to the spec, so you are able to mess with values as it suits you.

I used a 3.3 ohm 5W and 15.6uF (measured NPE) cap; and then a notch with a cheap iron-core 0.87mH (measured) 24AWG coil, a 13 ohm 5W resistor, and a 4.7uF (labeled NPE, not measured) cap.

For adjustment- the 3.3 ohm resistor can be lessened if you want less top-end. This is a contour filter to lift the treble a smidge.

As to the sound of a single- I still have to assemble the second one- it does okay, and better than expected. Bass to at least 100 Hz is acknowledged and decent. Midrange is nice, and treble is decent. Honk is gone. I do recommend using an active high-pass at a minimum of 60 Hz, preferably 80 Hz, to limit the Xmax possibility.

As to assembly, I added a foam 'square-ring' to go under the flare around the driver. This is fit tightly, and slightly compressed. I also have a gasket between the horn flare and the box and driver. This eliminated any possible cavity resonance, buzz between the driver and flare, as well as sealing the leaks that could be possible.

I will post pictures later of this assembly. The news and reviews are good! I had it auditioned by 3 of my peers Saturday, and it was deemed acceptable.
                                I'll keep the progress posted,
                                Wolf
                                This I like. A lot. Too much.... Hmmm... Maybe I'll get into this game too.. :D

I do have those 4" Bamboos from the T-Sale.. Serial #1, and #2.. :eek:

NK
                                I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Working...
                                X