• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Re: "Mr. East" nearing completion....

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
    The stuff he was refering to as e*** isn't masonite, masonite is just hardboard or HDF etc. which is shown in his pictures as well as the brown pieces. E*** is plastic in nature the grey-ish stuff in the pictures.
    Correct!

The 'Hardboard' from HD is the brown stuff, used as templates, etc.

The E*** is a plasti-composite grey. I know it starts with E, and is 3 or 4 upper case letters, hence hard to remember.

Thanks, Justin!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• JustinG
    replied

Originally posted by stinems View Post
    Wolf, the material you're using looks like what I would call, generically, "Masonite". I just bought some at Menards (2' x4' panel) myself. 3/8" is about as thick as I've seen it come, though. The cool thing about it is that, unlike MDF, it is amenable to bending (think: laminate technique for curved sided boxes) and doesn't use anything formaldehyde-based to bond the wood fibers (easier on your lungs). It's also great to use for jigs and fixtures around the shop.

If it's not called "Masonite" at other stores like Home Depot or Lowes, just look for thin composite panel from 1/8" to 3/8" that flexes pretty easily. It's a common material. Many times, one side is slick and finished (more so than MDF), and the other side is rougher. And if you want to get crazy, you'll find that it may smell more like corrugated cardboard than MDF.

Sam
    The stuff he was refering to as e*** isn't masonite, masonite is just hardboard or HDF etc. which is shown in his pictures as well as the brown pieces. E*** is plastic in nature the grey-ish stuff in the pictures.

Leave a comment:

• stinems
    replied

Wolf, the material you're using looks like what I would call, generically, "Masonite". I just bought some at Menards (2' x4' panel) myself. 3/8" is about as thick as I've seen it come, though. The cool thing about it is that, unlike MDF, it is amenable to bending (think: laminate technique for curved sided boxes) and doesn't use anything formaldehyde-based to bond the wood fibers (easier on your lungs). It's also great to use for jigs and fixtures around the shop.

If it's not called "Masonite" at other stores like Home Depot or Lowes, just look for thin composite panel from 1/8" to 3/8" that flexes pretty easily. It's a common material. Many times, one side is slick and finished (more so than MDF), and the other side is rougher. And if you want to get crazy, you'll find that it may smell more like corrugated cardboard than MDF.

Sam

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Mr. Wolf,

I love how you seem to make small speakers sound big. Even if you never posted your name to this one, I think I'd still know it was you that made it.

TomZ
    :D:D:D
    Shoot- I'm probably the only person who would TRY something with a 2" driver in this manner.

Guilty as charged!!

I hope it sounds bigger than au naturale, and I have not done the network yet. I've been working on MAX lately.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by rwrankin View Post
    Very Cool Wolf, very cool, I am stumped as to what a Menard's is other than a race car manufacturer but I doubt that is what you meant and am totally stumped as to the "E*** board" could be. Could you give us a little hint? That composite board has me interested in getting my hands on some.

Thanks!
    Menard's is like a Lowe's, HD, etc.

It's 3/8" thick, and only came in 2'x4' IIRC, comparatively priced like MDF. I just don't recall the name. It was E--- composite plasti-board. It has some flexing to it in long lengths, and is usually a little warped. Nothing the clamped/screwed assembly couldn't correct though. It is also a little rough in texture, before sanding. Sanding is highly recommended!! Any Krylon Fusion paint bonds to it well, and just clear-coat over it.
    HTH,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Thezeek
    replied

I like that thinking outside of the box!!!
    Cool

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied

Mr. Wolf,

I love how you seem to make small speakers sound big. Even if you never posted your name to this one, I think I'd still know it was you that made it.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• rwrankin
    replied

Okay, I figured out what your Menards is, it is a big box hardware/lumber store, but I can't find out the "E*** board" stuff......

Leave a comment:

• rwrankin
    replied

Very Cool Wolf, very cool, I am stumped as to what a Menard's is other than a race car manufacturer but I doubt that is what you meant and am totally stumped as to the "E*** board" could be. Could you give us a little hint? That composite board has me interested in getting my hands on some.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by gorbs View Post
    Wolf,

if nothing else they sure look great ! i might buy a pair just to look at :D can't wait to hear your listening impressions as well.
    Thanks, Dave!
    Just another example of how backwards my mind works....
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by PunkSweeper View Post
    "Voice of the...Desktop."
    That's CLEVER!! I like you, kid! ;)
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    I really like the look of this Wolf. Very interesting use of the horn for loading. What are you doing, if anything, to reduce the honk associated with the horn loading?
    That is what the filter will be used for. It's in the FR picture.
    The 'hill' is the natural response, the filtered is the flatter one.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

I really like the look of this Wolf. Very interesting use of the horn for loading. What are you doing, if anything, to reduce the honk associated with the horn loading?

Leave a comment:

• gorbs
    replied

Wolf,

if nothing else they sure look great ! i might buy a pair just to look at :D can't wait to hear your listening impressions as well.

Leave a comment:

• PunkSweeper
    replied

"Voice of the...Desktop."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X