• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Re: "Mr. East" nearing completion....

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
    When are you guys doing to do the tiny speaker shootout?

Let's talk rules....
    I believe it was 5 ltrs or less, with a small-sub on-hand for those that needed it. However, the non-use of sub is obviously a better design.

There should either be a thread somewhere, or something mentioned about DIY Chicago. Do a search.

Open-backs should not apply, as you are using the room volume, and those are waaayyyy bigger than 5 ltrs.

'When' is Paul's ball-game....

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Bah! Not tiny enough. ;) C'mon Wolf, you can go smaller than that! :D
    When are you guys doing to do the tiny speaker shootout?

Let's talk rules....

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
    Bah! Not tiny enough. ;) C'mon Wolf, you can go smaller than that! :D

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied

Nice pic Brian!

Leave a comment:

• brianpowers27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
    I heard a single one of these Saturday. It put out a pretty amazing amount of sound for a 2" driver and it sounded good to boot. The crossover was the size of about 1/3 of a credit card, IIRC. :eek: It looked like a toy crossover it was so small.

Wolf also has his airborne driver project sounding very good, with some changes he just made.
    Thanks, Dan!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• nick29498141
    replied
    Re: "Mr. East" contour-network tested....

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I don't have a pic up yet, but let's just say it's TINY. I used the cheapest/smallest parts I've extracted from other networks, that were closest to the spec, so you are able to mess with values as it suits you.

I used a 3.3 ohm 5W and 15.6uF (measured NPE) cap; and then a notch with a cheap iron-core 0.87mH (measured) 24AWG coil, a 13 ohm 5W resistor, and a 4.7uF (labeled NPE, not measured) cap.

For adjustment- the 3.3 ohm resistor can be lessened if you want less top-end. This is a contour filter to lift the treble a smidge.

As to the sound of a single- I still have to assemble the second one- it does okay, and better than expected. Bass to at least 100 Hz is acknowledged and decent. Midrange is nice, and treble is decent. Honk is gone. I do recommend using an active high-pass at a minimum of 60 Hz, preferably 80 Hz, to limit the Xmax possibility.

As to assembly, I added a foam 'square-ring' to go under the flare around the driver. This is fit tightly, and slightly compressed. I also have a gasket between the horn flare and the box and driver. This eliminated any possible cavity resonance, buzz between the driver and flare, as well as sealing the leaks that could be possible.

I will post pictures later of this assembly. The news and reviews are good! I had it auditioned by 3 of my peers Saturday, and it was deemed acceptable.
    I'll keep the progress posted,
    Wolf
    This I like. A lot. Too much.... Hmmm... Maybe I'll get into this game too.. :D

I do have those 4" Bamboos from the T-Sale.. Serial #1, and #2.. :eek:

NK

Leave a comment:

• nick29498141
    replied

Originally posted by PunkSweeper View Post
    "Voice of the...Desktop."
    "VOTD" Maybe it'll command 5 figures in it's original battleship grey someday, too. :p

NK

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied

I heard a single one of these Saturday. It put out a pretty amazing amount of sound for a 2" driver and it sounded good to boot. The crossover was the size of about 1/3 of a credit card, IIRC. :eek: It looked like a toy crossover it was so small.

Wolf also has his airborne driver project sounding very good, with some changes he just made.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Re: "Mr. East" contour-network tested....

I don't have a pic up yet, but let's just say it's TINY. I used the cheapest/smallest parts I've extracted from other networks, that were closest to the spec, so you are able to mess with values as it suits you.

I used a 3.3 ohm 5W and 15.6uF (measured NPE) cap; and then a notch with a cheap iron-core 0.87mH (measured) 24AWG coil, a 13 ohm 5W resistor, and a 4.7uF (labeled NPE, not measured) cap.

For adjustment- the 3.3 ohm resistor can be lessened if you want less top-end. This is a contour filter to lift the treble a smidge.

As to the sound of a single- I still have to assemble the second one- it does okay, and better than expected. Bass to at least 100 Hz is acknowledged and decent. Midrange is nice, and treble is decent. Honk is gone. I do recommend using an active high-pass at a minimum of 60 Hz, preferably 80 Hz, to limit the Xmax possibility.

As to assembly, I added a foam 'square-ring' to go under the flare around the driver. This is fit tightly, and slightly compressed. I also have a gasket between the horn flare and the box and driver. This eliminated any possible cavity resonance, buzz between the driver and flare, as well as sealing the leaks that could be possible.

I will post pictures later of this assembly. The news and reviews are good! I had it auditioned by 3 of my peers Saturday, and it was deemed acceptable.
    I'll keep the progress posted,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• fwater
    replied

What driver did you use?
    Wolf
    W2-880. Around 14"x14 mouth, and ~14" length, approximating a 300Hz tractrix profile. I got what sounds like an enormous hump similar to yours (ears are my only equipment). A 3 or 4 mfd cap put me in the neighborhood of tolerable, but then ruined the efficiency (although there is still a little gain there). A second order filter just turned it into a tweeter. My best luck so far has been experimenting with a combination of a high pass near the 9 to 12 mfd range and then a "physical crossover" such as different stuffings in the throat or stretched across the mouth or both, but again at a cost, this time being loss of high end. These were concieved early in my audio DIY days where I was convinced that I could reinvent the wheel and defy physics. I still drag them out now and then to fiddle around and see if I'd like to do a three-way (hehe, do a three-way, hehe). A tweeter coming in at around 7 or 8K first order and a 15" woof would yield a medium effiency system, but so would the Dayton mid on sale today. Fail.

I have yet to try these with a roubst tweeter. Most of the gain sounds like it's in the 1 to 2K region instead of the 300 to 1K Hz region as I had hoped, so maybe a first order 3K could yield me a band from 1K up. I also have not tried any of the numerous 2" drivers PE has on the cheap right now. But I'm sure they'll roll through at one time or another...

These horns do excel, in spades, at fulfilling their toe-stubbing requirements.

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

kinda looks like a big eyeball.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by fwater View Post
    Nope.
    What driver did you use?
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• fwater
    replied

Shoot- I'm probably the only person who would TRY something with a 2" driver in this manner.
    Nope.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• sagamotto
    replied

I like this sort of design, hmmm, may be I can apply this to my current project...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X