Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: I love dogs, but...

Sometimes you gotta watch out for 'em.

As several of you know, I am a cable tech. Today, in the course of my job, I was bitten fairly severely by a Lab(!) in a customer's backyard. I had asked the customer if the dog was dangerous, and was told "not to me, but I don't know", so I followed her out at a respectful distance to find a good looking male black Lab chained outside. She went to pull him away from the area that I needed to work in, but he charged out of her grasp as I got closer, and plunked his forepaws down on my stomach. Thinking he was just being playful, as Labs will, I reached down to pat his head, whereupon he immediately sank his teeth into my left wrist, and would not let go.

I'm not permanently damaged, but he took a couple of good chunks out of my arm, and it is REALLY sore and stiff.:( Probably tomorrow, I'll look wistfully back on the wondrous time that is tonight, but as I said, no permanent damage, bones and tendons are intact. Still, at the moment it does kinda suck to be a lefty...:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, my love for dogs, and Retrievers in particular, probably contributed to my getting bitten, and to the severity. If I had been faced with a more notorious breed, I would have probably been much more cautious, and certainly would have recognized the event as an attack, rather than play a split second sooner, which may have mitigated the severity somewhat.

I won't be loving dogs any less, but I will be much more careful in the future, of that I can assure you.:o

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Re: OT: I love dogs, but...

Hey Bud, sorry to hear about your injury.
    Do you have any legal recourse? Can you enlist the services of a Lawyer, and sue the owners?

Back in the early 1990s I was bitten by a vicious Chow that was kept on a chain. I was walking through the parking lot of a "No Pets" apartment complex and didn't even know the dog was there. Damn, I would have beat that dog to death if had I something available to use. I was fortunate and only suffered a minor puncture, but I did end up losing one day of work and I lost a good pair of jeans too! I went to the hospital to have my wound checked out. I reported the attack to animal control and they later came and took the dog away to check it for rabies etc.
    The owners of the dog were white trash, so there wasn't anything much I could do about it.

Back in 2000 I worked for the U.S. Census Bureau. A Census worker was attacked and mauled by a pack of dogs on private property and died. People are worth way more than a bunch of mangy dogs. Since then I almost always carry a pocket knife.

If I had your type of job, I would probably carry a safe and sane pepper spray. I've used pepper spray on a person before, and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it on an animal.

The only dogs I love, are "hot dogs." All beef.

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post

As several of you know, I am a cable tech. Today, in the course of my job, I was bitten fairly severely by a Lab(!) in a customer's backyard. I had asked the customer if the dog was dangerous, and was told "not to me, but I don't know", so I followed her out at a respectful distance to find a good looking male black Lab chained outside. She went to pull him away from the area that I needed to work in, but he charged out of her grasp as I got closer, and plunked his forepaws down on my stomach. Thinking he was just being playful, as Labs will, I reached down to pat his head, whereupon he immediately sank his teeth into my left wrist, and would not let go.

I'm not permanently damaged, but he took a couple of good chunks out of my arm, and it is REALLY sore and stiff.:( Probably tomorrow, I'll look wistfully back on the wondrous time that is tonight, but as I said, no permanent damage, bones and tendons are intact. Still, at the moment it does kinda suck to be a lefty...:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, my love for dogs, and Retrievers in particular, probably contributed to my getting bitten, and to the severity. If I had been faced with a more notorious breed, I would have probably been much more cautious, and certainly would have recognized the event as an attack, rather than play a split second sooner, which may have mitigated the severity somewhat.

I won't be loving dogs any less, but I will be much more careful in the future, of that I can assure you.:o

Mark
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ; 09-09-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post

Mark
      I never trust a dog I don't know well. You can sometimes judge them, but this is another instance where it wasn't as plainly laid out to both parties.

Don't get me wrong here, while I do prefer cats, I have a lil' mini-Schnauzer and my folks have always had Labs. I just don't trust a dog I don't know to be careful. Shawn will say otherwise about his eventful dog greetings, but he's a 'dog-whisperer' of sorts.
      Get well soon,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Labs, due to their popularity and reputation as approachable, account for a lot of bites. I have two of the buggers myself, and I always warn strangers not to pet or touch or get close to either one without being properly introduced.

With labs at least, you have the luxury of being bitten by an animal bred specifically not to do much damage with their bite. Had it been one of a number of other breeds, your outcome could have been even more painful.

Dogs bite for just a few, simple reasons.

Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Never trust a dog on a chain, especially if that is how it spends most of its time. If you need to chain your dog, you don't need a dog, IMO.

Comment

Amen on that last one Brother. You are so so so right, just think how you would feel if you lived your total life on the end of a 10 ft. chain. It makes them mad and mean. Bad combination
            cuggie
            "What's Time To A Pig?"

Comment

I hope you sought proper medical attention????

Comment

Labs are known to be friendly, family-oriented dogs, but a few can have a protective streak in them. They are many in number, so therefore you can expect some variation in characteristics and behavior.

Our own barks at male (not female) strangers and is gentle and friendly to all else, especially children. To men, she tries her best to sound mean and vicious, but they either laugh or smile. She's not hard to read correctly, but as the OP knows, other dogs can be.

Comment

The dog was not at fault, only the owner who surely should have known better how the dog would react to a stanger in its yard. Labs are one of the most friendliest breeds around and if one acts as this one did, it has not been treated with love or trained properly. That doesn't diminish your injury, however, and I hope you heal quickly. I was attacked by a Chow when I was a very young boy, walking home from school behind my older brother and some of his friends. The Chow was usually chained up in his front yard and I often played with him. Unfortunately there were always some mean-natured kids that would throw rocks at him when they passed; I had dropped a marble I was carrying and when I picked it up, the Chow thought I was going to throw something at him. He charged at me, breaking his chain in the process, and bit one of my arms. My brother and friends got him off and he was retrieved by his owner. Back then we weren't such a litigious society, so no one even considered it necessary to sue, nor would anyone begin to consider harming the dog during or after the attack. In this case it was the bad/mean elements of our society that were at fault by tormenting the dog, not the owner and certainly not the dog.
                  Paul

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, gents! I did indeed seek medical attention, I went straight to the ER after the incident. My arm is very sore, but the cuts are all stitched up. Alan, legal action is something that I"m contemplating, but the people don't have much more than a couple of nickels to rub together, and a large judgment against them would really just ensure that they are broke for a very long time, with no real benefit to me. If I had come away with no or impaired use of my hand, I might be out for more blood, as it were, but we'll see how that plays out. Ben, the ironic part is that I had fancied myself as something of a dog whisperer myself; I have had numerous occasions where dogs (and cats) that liked no strangers, according to their owners, spent the entirety of my presence in their house loving on me. Quite a few astounded owners, actually. I'm sure that that, too, contributed to the incident.

VERY good points about the protective streak of many dogs, and also the personality of a dog (any dog) on a chain. Something to watch out for in the future, absolutely.

Thanks again for the thoughts!

Mark
                    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Actually you should be covered for any medical bills & time lost by your employer's insurance. Suing those folks will likely result in killing the dog and many months of your time spent with lawyers. They obviously have no clue about living with dogs if they kept him on a chain. I agree with Ceasar Milan "no bad dogs, just bad owners" Lab's aren't a good match for inactive people.

We've always had anywhere from 3-6 dogs in our home for the last 20 years. Nobody, authorized by us, has ever been nipped. I've warned technicians & visitors to stay with me and ignore the dogs. No eye contact, no acknowledgment. If the visitor is afraid, a dog cashes in on weakness. If the owner is afraid, chaos ensues.

My shepherd mix, Bogart, was ALWAYS somewhere between the visitor and my wife - watching alertly but quiet. If you backed away scared, (or approached too quickly) he'd charge, bark and herd you out the door - but never get closer than 5 feet to you.

My bloodhound Carmella (and avatar) is the friendliest dog on the planet, but 110 lbs of howling, charging-in-happy-to-meet-you beast has scared the crap out of more than one person. All she wants to do is smell your breath.:p
                      Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                      "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                      Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

I have to disagree on the "never chain" mantra... I used chains to teach my dogs boundaries without me being present. Longer and longer chains, located throughout the yard.

Now the only time they leave the yard is if I tell them to, but when you see a dog on a chain assuming that the dog is being abused is kind of shortsighted and unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          I have to disagree on the "never chain" mantra... I used chains to teach my dogs boundaries without me being present. Longer and longer chains, located throughout the yard.

Now the only time they leave the yard is if I tell them to, but when you see a dog on a chain assuming that the dog is being abused is kind of shortsighted and unfair.
                          I tend to agree. You have to make sure they have room to run though Though not an issue now at my old house I had chain link fence across the back yard. I don't know if anybody has had a Border Collie but they haven't made a chain link fence that will hold them. I didn't just put him on a short chain though. I ran a clothes line cable 3/4 of the way to the back of my property, (approx. 100ft) and hooked his chain to that. He had about 20ft of room to either side. Now with privacy fence and about 1/2 acre in the back yard he doesn't need the chain and can(and does, our Dutch sheppard can't keep up with him) run all day.

Comment

Jeff, the only time I now tie my dogs off is when I have a lot of company over for a BBQ or a fire pit party. Not everyone is comfortable with 90 pounds of black lab demanding to be petted

Otherwise, they get the yard (under supervision of course) and once in awhile when it is too cold for me, I just let them out. Watching them out the window, they respect the boundaries.

Comment

There's no replacement for obedience training. In five weeks I've managed to work the new kid into understanding where he needs to be when it comes time for the human(s) to have their meals.

Sorry to hear about it, Mark but Labs are involved in far more biting cases than anyone really knows. Young ones are especially mouthy and if the behaviour isn't nipped in the bud the dog doesn't know any other way. It's just that the breed doesn't have the rap laid upon them by the media like Pit Bulls and Rotties. I can guarantee you if tomorrow every wanna-be gangsta decided that Golden Retrievers were bad-*** dogs you would see the breed being defiled by irresponsible breeding and training. I tend not to blame the dog but the owners.

Legal recourse is an option but you have reasoned well IMHO. And a word for the wise in the future. Never reach over a dog's head unless you know them well. It's a signal of control to them left over from their wolf lineage.

shawn
                              My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Comment

Working...
                              X