Most memorable concert experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most memorable concert experience

The Steely Dan thread got me thinking about memorable concerts. Who, when, where is your most memorable concert experience? I'm the OP so I'll start - and I get two:

1). When I was 15 I stopped by Beefy King in Winter Park, FL on my way home from my girlfriends house. In the back of BK was a bar called The Back Door. I heard cheering and then a remarkably accurate version of Statesboro Blues. I sneaked past the bouncer and got in to the bar.

It was the Allman Brothers. They had played earlier that night at the Sports Stadium in east Orlando. A terrible metal building venue that typically hosted professional wrestling. I called everyone I knew to get on their bikes and get down there. About half got caught at the door.

2) When my son was 15 (5 years ago) I thought he should hear a "real" band before they all die. I bought tickets on line for The Eagles concert in Tally, fathers day weekend.

We drove up from Orlando, checked in the hotel and then went to the convention center ticket window to pick up our tickets. The girl said that the band had just released extra tickets reserved for family and friends and would we like to upgrade our seats. Sure, where, I said. Front row center!!!!!

Front row directly in front of Frey and Walsh. I now understand why people are so spastic to sit up front. It's a different experience. Essentially everyone past row 1 or 2 are dark to the band, so they talk to you during the show. Cool. At the Tally center there was no wide security area in front of us, we were up against the stage. Glenn Frey spits when he sings. I always wondered why Walsh leans forward on his toes and looks down while playing. He's reading notes taped to the floor - with reading glasses.

The show was 3 hours 40 minutes. The house speakers are essentially behind or even with the front row so you hear the bands own equipment. 30-40 year old tube stuff. Great SQ.

One of the band's friends next to us told my son that he has a pretty cool dad for taking him to his first concert. I told him that they all aren't quite like this one. It was a great father's day.

Re: Most memorable concert experience

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
    The Steely Dan thread got me thinking about memorable concerts. Who, when, where is your most memorable concert experience? I'm the OP so I'll start - and I get two:

1). When I was 15 I stopped by Beefy King in Winter Park, FL on my way home from my girlfriends house. In the back of BK was a bar called The Back Door. I heard cheering and then a remarkably accurate version of Statesboro Blues. I sneaked past the bouncer and got in to the bar.

It was the Allman Brothers. They had played earlier that night at the Sports Stadium in east Orlando. A terrible metal building venue that typically hosted professional wrestling. I called everyone I knew to get on their bikes and get down there. About half got caught at the door.

2) When my son was 15 (5 years ago) I thought he should hear a "real" band before they all die. I bought tickets on line for The Eagles concert in Tally, fathers day weekend.

We drove up from Orlando, checked in the hotel and then went to the convention center ticket window to pick up our tickets. The girl said that the band had just released extra tickets reserved for family and friends and would we like to upgrade our seats. Sure, where, I said. Front row center!!!!!

Front row directly in front of Frey and Walsh. I now understand why people are so spastic to sit up front. It's a different experience. Essentially everyone past row 1 or 2 are dark to the band, so they talk to you during the show. Cool. At the Tally center there was no wide security area in front of us, we were up against the stage. Glenn Frey spits when he sings. I always wondered why Walsh leans forward on his toes and looks down while playing. He's reading notes taped to the floor - with reading glasses.

The show was 3 hours 40 minutes. The house speakers are essentially behind or even with the front row so you hear the bands own equipment. 30-40 year old tube stuff. Great SQ.

One of the band's friends next to us told my son that he has a pretty cool dad for taking him to his first concert. I told him that they all aren't quite like this one. It was a great father's day.
    I've been to quite a few concerts. Growing up as a youngster, faves included:
    Bill Golden (solo) at the Wagon Wheel Theatre in Warsaw, IN.
    Dan Seals (RIP) at the same venue.
    Alabama at Buck Lake Ranch; ca, '88.

After I found my own niche music:

Klank at my first Bushnell, IL 'Cornerstone Fest' '99, front and center holding onto the tent's support beam in front of the pit. He did a dive into the crowd just left of me, I got a song thrown out to me, and so on.. Prior/aft met the band, got an autographed poster and CD and chatted briefly with Daren himself. Numb tour.

Saviour Machine live was something else. C-Fest '02. Soo moving. Legend tour.

Living Sacrifice kicked my teeth out!! I was wearing plugs, and in front of the scoops- that was concussive! Hammering Process tour. Just a great show... I missed them on the Conceived in Fire tour, and regretted it.

I also got to see Petra twice with the founding members subbing in. Once with that is cool enough, but twice?:D This was the Jekyl and Hyde tour.

I've seen Skillet several times. I didn't on the self-title tour, but did on the "HY, ILYS" through "Collide", sometimes a couple times per tour, missing the last few. Still one of my faves...

I know there are others, but I could go on for a while....
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Two. Worst concert and best.

First and Worst. A few years ago in Tampa, Paul McCartney. Near the front - center. Sound system was horrible, driven to gawd awful distortion across the board, even the vocals - literally ear-shattering painful. We stayed long enough, not long, to watch Paul fall into the lift in the stage where they raised and lowered the piano, then left. Thankfully, he was OK, but the concert was the worst I've been to. It was awful. As we left, there were scores streaming out grumbling. We expected a professional concert from a legend and got a ****** garage band. He should have been ashamed to take money for it.

Second and Best. Just in the past year - Fleetwood Mac. Front and center. Astounding. Amazing. Awe-inspiring (kinda hate the overused awesome, but see, let it slip).

Comment

#2) springsteen at darien lakes park outside buffalo,ny fueled my current e street addiction...
        #1) u2 circa 1983 at shea's performing arts theatre in buffalo. people had the bolcony bouncing so much that post-concert inspections revealed cracks in the supports.... an amazing show

Comment

Up close and personal experience:

I was a bartender at the FL Bar in Gainesville, FL in '77-78. Sunday evenings we had a piano player/singer, Nancy Griffin.

I had been serving drinks for a couple hours to a very quite, mysterious, very hairy drunk guy. I must have served him 5-6 Courvoisiers.

Nancy played Desperado and took a break. As she was leaving the stage, mystery man asked her if he could use her piano and if she wanted to hear the original version.

It was Don Henley and he sat down and played Desperado. His playing was a little impaired but his voice was dead on.

He apparently still had/has family in Gainesville.

Comment

Reunion Arena in Dallas: 4th row floor center

ZZ Top
            George Thorogood
            Jackyl

It was also the sighting of my all time favorite t-shirt. An absolutely stunning young lady was walking up the aisle from the front row. Her skin tight t-shirt said "I will do anything...". As she walked up the aisle, and every breathing male turned to watch, the back of her shirt said "Yes - even that!".
            Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
              Reunion Arena in Dallas: 4th row floor center

ZZ Top
              George Thorogood
              Jackyl

It was also the sighting of my all time favorite t-shirt. An absolutely stunning young lady was walking up the aisle from the front row. Her skin tight t-shirt said "I will do anything...". As she walked up the aisle, and every breathing male turned to watch, the back of her shirt said "Yes - even that!".
              ZZ Top concerts frequently have some of the best looking women (and some of the worst). I saw a girl about 16 years old wearing a T-Shirt that said "I know what boys like".

What would you do if you caught your daughter wearing that? Glad I have a son.

Comment

a Yes concert back in the early, early 70's in high school in. i remember being very hungry after ;). Jeff Beck at the Spectrum in Philly during the decomissioning of my last ship in the Navy at the yards there before my discharge. turns out they recorded that concert and made an album which i bought. ate a few philly steak and cheeses after that concert too !
                david golemba
                chesterfield michigan

Comment

Easy...Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fishbone in one concert...mid-80's in some club in Boston...before Hillel Slovak died and the RHCP went down the toilet.

Two amazing bass players in one concert. Fishbone's drummer is really fun to watch, too...his drum kit was positioned sideways, so you could see him play. People in the audience were being hoisted up by the crowd and hanging from the I-beams (low ceiling) above the crowd. Security was going nuts, but they couldn't do anything about it...such a good time!
                  Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Ronnie Dawson - approx. 1999 great band great artist great show
                    Robin Trower 1985 Harpo's Detroit .

a tie

Comment

Comment

"You wanted the best-You got the best...KISS!!!"

Been seeing them since 1990. About 10 times now. AND I will be there AGAIN this coming Tuesday. :D:p:D

The worst was J Geils. The ONLY time my wife has joined me AND IT WAS NOT GOOD! We all ready didn't know a lot of their music + the mic in one hand & a bottle in the other did not make a good impression. Of course this didn't help my cause for attending other concerts. Note: We really only went because we had free tickets.

Yanni was very good. I would recommend this one to all.
                        If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Most memorable was my first. Early 70's, Deep Purple at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. I still remember the floor shaking!

Comment

Second and Best. Just in the past year - Fleetwood Mac. Front and center. Astounding. Amazing. Awe-inspiring (kinda hate the overused awesome, but see, let it slip).[/QUOTE]

Good to hear Fleetwood Mac is still performing well. I haven't seen them since the late 70's.

Last time was a great show. Florida Field (the swamp) in '78 or '79 I can't recall, those years are a bit of a fog. Chairback seats on the 6th row. Our fraternity snuck in two pony kegs the night before the show.

Jimmy Buffet
                            JD Souther
                            Jackson Brown
                            Linda Ronstadt
                            Fleetwood Mac
                            The Eagles

All for $12.50

Comment

I might be showing my age here......(or lack of age)

But my favorite concert I have attended so far was Alter Bridge at the Barrymore Theatre in Madison, WI. Small venue and great sound. It was right after their Blackbird album hit the shelves. Too bad it looks like Creed is doing good and Alter Bridge looks to be dead :(. Anyway....after the show a friend and I went to hang out by the band's tour bus and have a conversation with Mark Tremonti! What I found weird is that the concert was held in a small venue and was no where near capacity (maybe 150 people were there max). We shared the floor with about 60 people, so about 8 feet from the band! No security and fence either. It was like a small time band in a tiny gym, but a good sound system.

Comment

Working...
                              X