• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statements VS Elsinores VS Dynamic 4T

http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/Statements.html

http://www.customanalogue.com/elsino...nore_index.htm

http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com/...micseries.html

Most probably an unfair topic, but from my time reading all over about top end DIY speakers, these are probably the most capable, high value, publicly available, that have been completed by many people. I assume they are comparable in cost too. I doubt anyone has built ALL, but I wonder if anyone has heard them all, and what they think about the differences between these designs.

Or maybe there are other publicly available designs using high performance, high value drivers just like these that I don't know about, do point them out! But I don't really consider anything using scanspeaks woofers high value.....

Which one do you think is the best considering their similar design goals (flame suit ready) and why?

Can't wait to see people's PERSONAL opinions and impressions!

Re: Statements VS Elsinores VS Dynamic 4T

Originally posted by blamus View Post
    http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/Statements.html

http://www.customanalogue.com/elsino...nore_index.htm

http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com/...micseries.html

Most probably an unfair topic, but from my time reading all over about top end DIY speakers, these are probably the most capable, high value, publicly available, that have been completed by many people. I assume they are comparable in cost too. I doubt anyone has built ALL, but I wonder if anyone has heard them all, and what they think about the differences between these designs.

Or maybe there are other publicly available designs using high performance, high value drivers just like these that I don't know about, do point them out! But I don't really consider anything using scanspeaks woofers high value.....

Which one do you think is the best considering their similar design goals (flame suit ready) and why?

All four have their merits. The Clearwave has an advantage over the Elsinores in that the 3-way vs. 2.5-way topology should offer better midrange reproduction. The fact that both utilize an array of 7" woofers for bass makes it a wash in that department.

Statements vs. Clearwave . . . now that's another story. The Dual RS225 will have the deeper extension compared to the 7" array, however, the 7" array will have the dynamic range advantage with lower compression overall.

I guess I'd go with Jed's design if I had to pick one of the four. Doubt you could go wrong with any of them though.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by blamus View Post
      Darn! I was so excited when I saw the thread, I thought you had had a little get-together and you and your buddies had spent a day comparing these three speakers...
      "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Do you really think you'd be disappointed by any of these? I'd think that if you didn't like one, you wouldn't like any.

I'm assuming you're not going with a subwoofer because that would change things.

There are many Seas designs out there. I love the concept of Troels PMS. He's got several others.

Zaph has a great TMM waveguide design that I would put into the class of others you listed. Not as "large" but very efficient and definitely a different design than the ones you're considering.
        - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
        www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

Originally posted by HareBrained View Post
          Do you really think you'd be disappointed by any of these? I'd think that if you didn't like one, you wouldn't like any.
          No, I don't think I will be disappointed by any of them, I don't think I can be disappointed by any design I see on these boards! Thats how easily satisfied I am, but thats not the point here, you know how people sometimes daydream about whether they would look better in a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, or, maybe a Bently would be more comfortable, but an Aston martin maybe nicer to drive? etc.

Thats kind of what I am doing here, not exactly productive I know, but already I have learned something from Pete's post, he explained how each design should have an advantage in what area and why.

Darn! I was so excited when I saw the thread, I thought you had had a little get-together and you and your buddies had spent a day comparing these three speakers...
          If I get the chance to do that I would have wet my pants!

Comment

All four have their merits. The Clearwave has an advantage over the Elsinores in that the 3-way vs. 2.5-way topology should offer better midrange reproduction. The fact that both utilize an array of 7" woofers for bass makes it a wash in that department...
            What percentage of the power is in the bass region?

Additionally, where is distortion generally the highest in woofers? (in the bass, and near/above the tweeter crossover frequency)

Considering those two factors, I propose that distributing the bass power evenly accross four voicecoils is exceptionally beneficial. Particularly if we have the combination of decent linear x-max and a low-ish tweeter crossover frequency...

Of course, this is one of a myriad of factors where trade-offs are being weighed rather than the gaining of clear benefits without significant disadvantages (size/cost/complexity/weight/HF distortion -vs-LF distortion/dispersion vs power response vs power handling...).

It's both remarkable and depressing that this thread did not manage to get a single reply with an actual subjective listening comparison between even just two of the three (much less all three) of the speakers in question, even after more than a year...
            "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

A bit disappointing perhaps, but not surprising to me. These are fairly big, heavy and expensive projects. A real job to haul around to a DIY affair. And for the most part, DIY events are attended by people who have made their own designs, not built others.

People often ask here for a comparison of speaker designs, I have rarely seen a reply where someone says yes, I have heard them all, and this one is best.

Comment

Working...
              X