Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open baffle speakers

Hi,

has anyone designed and compelted an open baffle design along the lines of the AV123 or similar?

I am looking for reasonably priced/best bang fox bucks diy design for an open baffle which should also comply to the spousal approval.

Should be great sound with excellent imaging and soundstaging with a nice "slim design". The music I listen ranges from classical and jazz to metallica. Possibly an "allrounder". I know that these are quite a challenge but hopefully would be achievable.

Re: Open baffle speakers

Hey Mattitos, I would check out Paul Carmody's website. He has several versions of a reasonably priced dipole. I've only heard one version but I'm sure they are all fine.

http://undefinition.googlepages.com/diy

Paul posts often on here and could probably give advice if you go that route.
    "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

How about an Orion clone? We need more Orion clones. Go active with a Behringer DCX.

I've dabbled in this cult of the openly baffled and will suggest this--there's not much payoff in going to size XL with a dual-15" woofer (this would be a Jamo R909 or Emerald Physics clone). Instead, if you've got active boost you can equalize a pair of 10's down to 50 Hz easily, and cross to a subwoofer (in a box). Even if you EQ the daylights out of a pair of 15's it's no replacement for a box sub. And if you're handing over deep bass to a sub, then how much air do you need to move above 50 Hz? Maybe not more than a pair of RS270's can handle.

Or if you're really daring try a Beethoven clone (another pair of 10's up top). Gravity may be a problem.

Note that all of these suggestions are for 3-way fully OB speakers. An open midrange only may be easier because you can make it passive. But if you read the OB threads you keep hearing the jabs from OB purists who say, much of what makes OB special is below 300 Hz.

Comment

Lots of pictures of open baffle systems here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...b-gallery.html

Comment

I would recommend using 2x per side Peerless SLS 10" woofers. These are currently on sale very cheap and work great in an open baffle. Pair with a mid of your choice, preferably something efficient to match the woofers. To top it off, the Neo 3 PDR with back cup removed makes an excellent dipole tweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimador View Post
            I would recommend using 2x per side Peerless SLS 10" woofers. These are currently on sale very cheap and work great in an open baffle. Pair with a mid of your choice, preferably something efficient to match the woofers. To top it off, the Neo 3 PDR with back cup removed makes an excellent dipole tweeter.
            Yes, that could be a system very similar to Brian's:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...4&postcount=25

Comment

Mattitos,
              I got your email. I hope you don't mind me responding here. You asked about the Aethers, and I think that they're probably a good choice. They'll get you the sort of experience you're after at an affordable price. The only midrange drivers still available for the project are the Tang Band W5-704D (but I don't think are going to go away from the market any time soon)

Hope that helps.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

hmmmmm why did i always think that an OB driver needs higher Qts than 0.7?..... the TBs are like 0.38?

Comment

Originally posted by blamus View Post
                  hmmmmm why did i always think that an OB driver needs higher Qts than 0.7?..... the TBs are like 0.38?
                  High Qts is relevant for OB bass/sub drivers. The Aethers have a closed box sub but with OB mids. I have built the Aethers and like its sound very much.

Good luck......

Comment

the 10 sls is nice, but even with 2 in OB you're looking at mid 80's efficiency and early bass rolloff, so don't worry about getting an efficient tweeter.

Comment

If you are going active the peerless 10s would do. if you are going passive, consider the eminence alpha 15s. The QTS is high so it can support OB bass with a minimum baffle size and or minimal passive contouring circuit.

Keep in mind that the narrower the baffle is in respect to its wavelength, the earlier in frequency the dipole cancellation will begin. In a perfect world, the speaker will operate below the dipole peak and achieve directivity control through dipole cancellation at all frequencies.

What does this mean in application?
                      • Use lots of displacement if you want real bass. Think 2x12" woofers in parallel. 4ohms is desirable from a sensitivity standpoint.
                      • Keep the baffle narrow and use contouring to achieve the desired axial response.
                      • IMHO, the pyramid with shallow wings is one of the best achievers in terms of SQ. The narrowing baffle allows the tweeter to enjoy dipole cancellation when the dipole cancellation is affecting the polar response.
                      • Dipole bass is very challenging but it is rewarding. Same goes for dipole tweeters

Comment

hi all,
                        How about the 7" Peerless 830685 for this mid application ?

http://www.hifisound.de/oxid/out/oxb...EE-1092756.pdf.

currently I am using one with a neo ND20FB-4 tweeter sound great, very open and relax sound. just wonder how they may sound with the SEA-tweeter in an OB MTM config. ?

Comment

Don't overlook Martin Kings passive 2-way with Eminence and Fostex, It's a complete pkg-some assembly required.

See Here:www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Design.pdf

There are a number of these out there already built, lots of positive comments.

Also check out the Hawthorne line ( google it ).

I heard a very nice pair of Silver Iris, W/ Augie's at LSAF, in June and was impressed with the sound, if rock is your thing they did it well. I didn't stay long enough to hear anything else on them.

John
                          All statements include, at no charge, an Oklahoma Guarantee: Guaranteed not to Rip, Rap, Flip, Flap, Warp, Wrinkle, or Rust, for 30 Miles or 30 Seconds, if it breaks, YOU get to keep BOTH halves.

Comment

In a previous post I recommended against the dual 15" design based on having built a test baffle with Eminence drivers (Kappalite 3015LF). What I found is that these drivers do not give clean bass when pushed anywhere near x-max. They seem to have mechanical noise that makes their usable excursion very limited, at least in an open baffle. Really I don't understand how people use the more entry level Eminence drivers like the Alphas without having this problem (although I haven't heard those drivers). I'd guess that you could move more air with less motor noise using 12" or even 10" SLS drivers or another that you can push hard without noise. In fact it's amazing how clean the RS woofers are when pushed to probably 7+mm excursion in an open baffle. The SLS woofers have that reputation as well (as do the Peerless XXLS).

To really move some air consider using the Acoustic Elegance OB woofers, if they're available. You could also use Dayton subwoofers but you'll have to deal with large moving mass, so plan on a serious brace to resist vibration.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint View Post
                              In a previous post I recommended against the dual 15" design based on having built a test baffle with Eminence drivers (Kappalite 3015LF). What I found is that these drivers do not give clean bass when pushed anywhere near x-max. They seem to have mechanical noise that makes their usable excursion very limited, at least in an open baffle. Really I don't understand how people use the more entry level Eminence drivers like the Alphas without having this problem (although I haven't heard those drivers). I'd guess that you could move more air with less motor noise using 12" or even 10" SLS drivers or another that you can push hard without noise. In fact it's amazing how clean the RS woofers are when pushed to probably 7+mm excursion in an open baffle. The SLS woofers have that reputation as well (as do the Peerless XXLS).

To really move some air consider using the Acoustic Elegance OB woofers, if they're available. You could also use Dayton subwoofers but you'll have to deal with large moving mass, so plan on a serious brace to resist vibration.
                              For me the recommendation for Eminence alpha 15s is driven by two factors...

--high qts
                              --high sensitivity
                              --low cost.

I will admit that they don't make very capable OB subwoofers but they do function pretty well overall for the overall price point. I manage to get reasonably flat bass OB, without much contouring.

It appears that the Kappalite described above is a low qts sub that would likely work better in a ported alignment. I wonder how much this would affect the sound in terms of its mechanical noise in an OB configuration.

Comment

Working...
                              X