Project List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project List

Well, with the components that should arrive tomorrow from Erse, I will have all the components for my project list.
    1. Unity-In-Diversity: a 12" Dayton Classic woofer, TB Dome midrange, and a Dayton Planar tweeter.
    2. A 70s-Retro: 15" woofer, 5-1/4" midrange, and 2-1/2 tweeter (all cones).
    3. The Spudnyks: Satellite speakers for the couch potato with 5-1/4" woofers, 5-1/4" midranges, and 1/2" mylar tweeters.
    4. ML-TL towers designed for me by Paul.
    5. Some other designs using TLwrx.

This should keep me pretty busy for quite a while. Unfortunately, I've been laid off, so my primary pursuit at the moment is job hunting.

Notes and pictures to follow when possible.

Re: Project List

[QUOTE=rogoll;1601597]

Unfortunately, I've been laid off, so my primary pursuit at the moment is job hunting.

QUOTE]

good luck on the job hunt, going on 5 months here. i am over-qualified to push a broom at home depot, and highly under-paid if i go back to spinning wrenches! crazy world....
    THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
    SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
    - SCOTT IAN

Comment

Really bad times (administration) to be looking for jobs!!!:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by rogoll View Post
        1. Unity-In-Diversity: a 12" Dayton Classic woofer, TB Dome midrange, and a Dayton Planar tweeter.
        2. A 70s-Retro: 15" woofer, 5-1/4" midrange, and 2-1/2 tweeter (all cones).
        3. The Spudnyks: Satellite speakers for the couch potato with 5-1/4" woofers, 5-1/4" midranges, and 1/2" mylar tweeters.
        4. ML-TL towers designed for me by Paul.
        5. Some other designs using TLwrx.

This should keep me pretty busy for quite a while. Unfortunately, I've been laid off, so my primary pursuit at the moment is job hunting.

Notes and pictures to follow when possible.
        1- Make sure you xover fairly steep if low on the PT2. I would think 3.5 kHz is the safe 12dB electrical point. The PT2-C has an issue that is kind of hard to deal with. The FR graph is flat-ish, with a nice broad 'scoop out' in the lower end.

2- You sure you want to do that??? I assume it could sound good, but the limited disp cone-tweeter could have issues.

3- "Sputnik", huh? Small, fast, and beeping... Cool choice for a name. What drivers?

4- I'm sure the bass will sound right!

5- Is that the Excel spreadsheet?

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          1- Make sure you xover fairly steep if low on the PT2. I would think 3.5 kHz is the safe 12dB electrical point. The PT2-C has an issue that is kind of hard to deal with. The FR graph is flat-ish, with a nice broad 'scoop out' in the lower end.

2- You sure you want to do that??? I assume it could sound good, but the limited disp cone-tweeter could have issues.

3- "Sputnik", huh? Small, fast, and beeping... Cool choice for a name. What drivers?

Later,
          Wolf
          TLwrx is a standalone Windows program by Ausperger (sp?).

Comment

Thanks for the advice...I'll look into larger cone tweeters. Help me recall, weren't cone tweeters standard in the 70's (Wolf, I'm sure is way too young to know).

Yeah, the correct spelling is already in use in a couple of semi-retail designs, so that was why I modified it and also applied it to "couch potatos" (spuds). I'm afraid I'll get banned from the site for saying, but the drivers are Goldwood :o drivers I bought (a lot of) when I was first getting started in DIY. Still, with a decent XO they are acceptable for HT use.

Later,
            Wolf
            See responses above.

Comment

I was born in '78, so I'm not as young as you think. Larger cones would be a bad idea, as they would beam sooner.
              Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

[QUOTE=Thomas Brown;1601599]

Unfortunately, I've been laid off, so my primary pursuit at the moment is job hunting.

QUOTE]

good luck on the job hunt, going on 5 months here. i am over-qualified to push a broom at home depot, and highly under-paid if i go back to spinning wrenches! crazy world....
                Yes, a crazy world indeed. Just make sure you look at the label before you make a purchase. It would be nice to see North American products under the tree this year.
                No matter where you go, there you are.
                Website

Comment

I was born in '78, so I'm not as young as you think. Larger cones would be a bad idea, as they would beam sooner.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  And that would be 1978, huh? hmmmm.......

Anyway, my project list is modest:

1: A new pair of the Copper Project
                  2: Recession Busters for the ex.

Short list, but will keep me hopping thru December.

Happy Holidays All!

Marty

Comment

#2 sounds like a waste of time. How about an "improved" version of your typical 70's speaker? Or just one that looks retro?
                    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                      #2 sounds like a waste of time. How about an "improved" version of your typical 70's speaker? Or just one that looks retro?
                      Could you elaborate on that? Yes, I am primarily interested in reproducing the "look and feel"...not the poor performance. What are the pitfalls and what would you suggest? I am still quite a novice in this area, so I welcome all the input I can get.
                      Thanks,
                      Leonard

Comment

Could you elaborate on that? Yes, I am primarily interested in reproducing the "look and feel"...not the poor performance. What are the pitfalls and what would you suggest? I am still quite a novice in this area, so I welcome all the input I can get.
                        Thanks,
                        Leonard
                        I agree with face. It all comes down to the XO. If you want an old-school 3-way, ditch the cone tweeter...doesn't matter what size. Better tweeters and SQ can be had for not much more money. A decent-performing 15" woofer will require a large box and a wide baffle. And substantial bracing. I've heard many, many 3-ways like you're describing from major OEM's...all were disappointing. Recently, I had some Cerwin Vega 3-ways here with a 15" woofer, 5" mid and a so-called "horn" tweeter. So-called because it looked like a horn tweeter, but was actually a dome tweeter made to look like a horn unit. I would've been fooled to, if I hadn't taken it apart. The SQ was horrible, as I've come to expect from these types with a large woofer in a too-small cabinet, just caps on the mid and tweet, no bracing and lack of any acoustic damping material lining the walls. There are some very nice 3-way DIY projects out there, maybe some of those could give you some ideas. Still, you'll need the requisite custom XO using something like Jeff's PCD 6.2. Maybe a 12" woofer? I've used Wayne J.'s Lyra design in a few retro-rebuilds, using a person's existing old-school cabinets. Haven't come across one yet that had any sort of bracing or well-implemented XO from the original manufacturer. Just bracing and some dacron/poly-type damping material improved the SQ noticeably using the stock drivers/XO. However, with some measured data, either from existing files or from your own measurements and PCD, I'm sure you could pull it off and be light years beyond the boomy bass, forward mids and fatiguing high-end from those past OEM efforts. AFA GW drivers, hey, you won't get banned, as I did the same thing when starting out. After a while (and especially after I found Tech Talk), I realized why there's a dearth of projects/designs using them. But if you can take measurements yourself, you could find them acceptable. I ended up selling mine and used the money to get some Dayton classic/budget drivers to start out with, along with a few recommended-by-guys-on-this-board "buy outs"...much easier to work with and more forgiving with my noob skills. Which in many respects, I still am a noob, especially concerning XO design.

My next project is to finally get my Focal TC90tdx tweeters and Focal polyglass 6.5" woofers to Shawn A. for some measurements. The cabinets have been finished for some time and Shawn generously offered to do the measuring. I'll be giving him some extra Focal tweeters I got for a song from a DIY'ing friend to sweeten the deal. After that is a pair of Statements, probably the smaller monitor version mated with a 12" RSS subwoofer and plate amp I've had for a couple years. I'm having a knee replacement soon, so that should keep me off my motorcycles long enough to get one or two projects done. Keep us posted on your progress or any other ideas you have!

John A.
                        "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                        Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                        Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                        Pioneer TX-9500 II
                        Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                        Statement Monitors
                        Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                        Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                        Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Haven't we all... You'd think you might have more time to work on speakers, if you got laid off... My wife thinks otherwise.

I've got tons of goodies waiting for me in the garage - I keep planing to get out there and work on speakers. I only manage to squeeze a few minutes in here and there.
                          "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Later,
                            Wolf
                            I was born in '77. Does tht make me a geezer? J/K
                            Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by BiggerRigger View Post
                              I was born in '77. Does tht make me a geezer? J/K
                              Aaron
                              No, a puppy.:D I was born in '63!:eek:

Comment

Working...