Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

According to Ed Froste, the Tang Bands can roll out to 4.2Khz. Send him a PM and ask, jAy.

Cheers / Robert

Comment

Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Originally posted by jkim View Post
      You can do LR2 only if you recess mount the SB29. I wouldn't add a delay network only to nullify the purpose of a high-value design. But for an MTM, low-order filters with resulting 3rd-order-like phase integration is something to consider thanks to the nature of symmetric lobing of MTM layout. In that sense, you have a point.
      Then speaking from an extreme budget design, the Vifa BC25SC05 with 96db sensiEtivity and an already offset dome might be a better option....IF.....we can get the TB to play nicely. I think the Vifa dome can do 2k with 40watts give the SPL will be near 110db anyways......that's pretty loud IMO.

In 40L a 45hz tune looks mighty nice for an MTM with an F3 around 48hz. As Pete already knows i'm looking for a mate for a pair of active bass bins crossed at 100hz so a sealed MTM with an F3 of 90hz also works well for me....as a stand mounted MTM crossed high we're talking serious value here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
        Then speaking from an extreme budget design, the Vifa BC25SC05 with 96db sensiEtivity and an already offset dome might be a better option....IF.....we can get the TB to play nicely. I think the Vifa dome can do 2k with 40watts give the SPL will be near 110db anyways......that's pretty loud IMO.

In 40L a 45hz tune looks mighty nice for an MTM with an F3 around 48hz. As Pete already knows i'm looking for a mate for a pair of active bass bins crossed at 100hz so a sealed MTM with an F3 of 90hz also works well for me....as a stand mounted MTM crossed high we're talking serious value here.
        High passed MTM should be real nice, and the horn loaded Vifa sounds like a great idea.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I did use the horn-loaded Vifa neo for the Peerless Buyout MTMMM with LR2 filters. But I thought I'd do something different this time. Unless the goal is LR2, other tweeters are a better choice because we can get by with a simple electrical 2nd order filter for the TB to achieve asymmetric LR4. If we use the Vifa BC25SC06-04, we'll need an additional component in the crossover to obtain good LR4 phase tracking.

jAy

Comment

I have some of these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1028

They're no longer a "buyout" item and the price is pretty good.

I should finish some speakers with them so I can listen to them and see how they sound. There isn't much competition (at any price) for a decent tweeter with a waveguide already built in (to get at least close to time alignment, which is a factor I see typically compromised in DIY AND commercial designs).

EVERY loudspeaker design, no matter what the price, is a set of compromises. Lack of time alignment seems to be one of the most universal ones chosen, to some people I've talked to though, they would not even want to bother to listen to a system that was not properly time aligned.

That neo SB dimple dome does look very interesting though.
            "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Well Jay, it was your idea from the get go, so whadda you have in mind. The 'Poor Man's' theme is always nice so what sounds good with it

Poor man's ____________?

Comment

Poor Man's Tanggiving?

Comment

Ultimate Questions:

For music, What would work best using a pair of Tang Band W6-789E per speaker? MTM? or TMM (2.5)? and say the SB29 Acoustics.

I'm used to listening to TM single driver ScanSpeak 84-86 efficiency designs. Will this design end up in the 90db range making a perceivable acoustic output change per watt?

Just wondering...Happy Tangsgiving to all!

Comment

I still think the best bang for buck tweeters out there are the North D25-06S Tweeters. $36 a matched pair, smooth extended response, able to cross very low, and a reasonable 90db @ 2.83v. In a MT that added tweeter sensitivity won't be needed if you add baffle step. I think an MT is a little more in the spirit of a true poor mans anyways.
                    It's not how far you go, it's how go you far http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...es/biggrin.gif

Comment

Originally posted by jkim View Post
                      The Tang Band W6-789E is a unique, high-sensitivity (at least 91 dB/2.83 v on IB) midbass driver. Will be on sale for only three days (11/27-11/29) for less than half the regular price---a steal at $20! I once modeled TM 2-ways a while ago, one with the Vifa D26NC55 and the other with BG Neo3PDR. Both builders were very happy with the results. This midbass driver requires rather large a box for a vented alignment, but 0.5 cu ft per driver is not out of the question though 0.7 to 0.8 cu ft is better.

If anyone's interested, I am willing to model up a crossover for TM and MTM with a high-value tweeter. MTM will have anechoic 92.5 - 93 dB system sensitivity even with BSC built in. A tweeter in this system should be at least 94 dB sensitive. One that I'm thinking of is the Vifa BC25SG15-04 (non-shielded version is BC25TG15-04). This is basically a ferrite version of the Vifa's new, popular neo tweeters. 2 kHz LR4 shouldn't be a problem.

Seriously, where does it say this is a BF sale item.. are there other BF items???
                      It's not how far you go, it's how go you far http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...es/biggrin.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ctbowman View Post
                        Seriously, where does it say this is a BF sale item.. are there other BF items???
                        PM me an email address & I will forward the email. And yes, there are other items...
                        Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

For reference, CC states the Tritrix will handle around 104 db, I believe. I need to get a db meter, but what are the ranges for low, medium, and loud?
                          Thanks,
                          Tim

Comment

Originally posted by revelator View Post
                            Ultimate Questions:

For music, What would work best using a pair of Tang Band W6-789E per speaker? MTM? or TMM (2.5)? and say the SB29 Acoustics.

I'm used to listening to TM single driver ScanSpeak 84-86 efficiency designs. Will this design end up in the 90db range making a perceivable acoustic output change per watt?

Just wondering...Happy Tangsgiving to all!
                            A high sensitivity system such as this would play magnitudes louder than the Given my listening habits the lowish power handling of the TB drivers don't concern me as a stereo pair of MTMs high passed would be more than enough for me.

Comment

All right Jay, I'm onboard with 4 of the W6's on the way!

I would love to follow along and see how you approach this and what choices you make. I have graduated from Kindergarten now-learned how to import frd & zma files into SW and PCD and do some basic manipulation. I am still trying to figure out some of the other software for modeling baffles, boxes and such, but the concepts are starting to sink into my thick skull.

I am assuming you have measurements of the W6's?

Thanks,
                              Tom
                              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

I need to know the max number of woofers this "future build" will need - so I can order them now and won't wish I had ordered more when they are out and the design is done :P

wtwww!? 8 of them:eek: or are we more likely to just see a MTM?

Comment

Working...
                                X