Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

These TB's like lots of room and really don't extend too low given the limited XMax. Using 4 per speaker would result in a parallel series wiring somewhat negating the higher efficiency not to mention the size box needed. I like an TMM/ MTM config personally. With a cheap neo tweeter we're talkin $100 per pair for drivers.

Comment

Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Won't do MMTMM or MTMMM. TM and MTM (or TMM) will be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ctbowman View Post
        Seriously, where does it say this is a BF sale item.. are there other BF items???
        This should get you to the BF page.

http://tinyurl.com/yz86q6r
        Mark
        My TriTrix Build
        My Core 2 Way Build
        My RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

Comment

Any thoughts on a tweeter yet?

Comment

Which one would you (and others) prefer?

Comment

How about this tweeter.
              Vifa DX25TG09-04 1" Fabric Dome Tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1020

Would you try a third order? wire the woofers in parallel and have a screamin' hot sensitive system...

Power handling: 100 watts RMS/200 watts max *VCdia: 1" *impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 2.9 ohms *Frequency range: 2,000-30,000 Hz *Fs: 680 Hz *SPL: 96.5 dB 2.83V/1m *Dimensions: A: 4.125", B: 3.125" C: 1.125".

Comment

Keping with the obvious 'budget' design and if an MTM were done, i like Brian's idea for high sensitivy to offset the woofers apparent lack of power handling........BUT......since i'd like to see an MTM and a close C to C spacing of the midwoofers an offset Vifa BC25SC06-04 appeals more to me. It's got the needed sensitivity, low HD considering the input power such a system would see and it's cheap. The DQ25SC16-04 is another viable option as well given my preference for a small neo tweeter. Considering the woofer savings, i wouldn't be opposed to using the SB29RDC either but if the intention is a budget design let's keep it that way........just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by brianpowers27 View Post
                  How about this tweeter.
                  Vifa DX25TG09-04 1" Fabric Dome Tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1020

Would you try a third order? wire the woofers in parallel and have a screamin' hot sensitive system...

Power handling: 100 watts RMS/200 watts max *VCdia: 1" *impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 2.9 ohms *Frequency range: 2,000-30,000 Hz *Fs: 680 Hz *SPL: 96.5 dB 2.83V/1m *Dimensions: A: 4.125", B: 3.125" C: 1.125".
                  I know it says 96.5dB, but it's a lot closer to 93-94dB.
                  I looked at the graph, and don't see 96.5 anywhere...
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Would the HiVi SD1.1 tweeter work? It's only about $13 and seems to get great reviews.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-416

Edit: Okay, don't mind me......I don't think that tweeter I mentioned will work in this design. I just happened to have a few of them laying around 'just in case'.

Oh well, I'm on board with this design though. Can't wait to see how it goes.
                    Last edited by Erich H; 11-29-2009, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      I know it says 96.5dB, but it's a lot closer to 93-94dB.
                      I looked at the graph, and don't see 96.5 anywhere...
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      93.5 sounds a lot more reasonable for actual tweeter sensitivity. The woofers give an honest 90db .. 2 in paralell would yield 96 before inductor losses. 1-2db of BSC... brings you back to 93-94db.

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                        I have some of these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1028

They're no longer a "buyout" item and the price is pretty good.

I should finish some speakers with them so I can listen to them and see how they sound. There isn't much competition (at any price) for a decent tweeter with a waveguide already built in (to get at least close to time alignment, which is a factor I see typically compromised in DIY AND commercial designs).

EVERY loudspeaker design, no matter what the price, is a set of compromises. Lack of time alignment seems to be one of the most universal ones chosen, to some people I've talked to though, they would not even want to bother to listen to a system that was not properly time aligned...
                        I'm also curious about this high-value tweeter, which seems to be endorsed by Zaph's measurements, yet hasn't really been adopted into designs that have been built and received feedback (that I'm aware of. I know Jay designed a speaker with this tweet, but I haven't seen any feedback on it).
                        Since it's Jay's design however, I'll ride with his ultimate choice. Here's hoping it's decided soon, especially if it's a tweeter that could be added to the TB order prior to midnight.

Comment

I have a version of Jay's HDS 832873/BC25SC06-04 that I use in my video editing suite at work. Old, ugly boxes, but I needed monitors for the new edit system that just came online and we had nothing left in the budget. Jay's timing with crossover was perfect, so I threw them together. I didn't even have time to round over the baffle edges or paint them. They went from shop to daily duty. Voice-overs are very clear and I can easily judge when I need to clean up breath sounds between phrases. They also let you know when the music is encroaching on the voice track. I also like to listen to music when doing graphics. They are quite smooth, even when the source is an ipod.

With that in mind, I would not have any reservations using the BC25SC06-04 and the sensitivity requirement for an MTM really narrows the field.
                          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Tweeter decided. I will create two versions of crossovers: one with the SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 and the other with the Vifa DQ25SC16-04 (available only at Madisound or Meniscus).

If you want something available at PE, the soft dome version of the Vifa (with a truncated frame), BC25SC55-04:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1024

can be substibuted. But the hornloaded version, BC25SC06-04, cannot be used. The ferrite, larger faceplate versions, BC25SG15-04 and BC25TG15-04:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1026
                            http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1040

can also be substitued for the DQ25SC16-04 with suggested crossover fine-tuning options.

jAy

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
                              I have a version of Jay's HDS 832873/BC25SC06-04 that I use in my video editing suite at work.
                              Tom, yours must be the truncated frame version, BC25SC55-04, not the hornloaded version, BC25SC06-04. Am I wrong?

Comment

I have the horn loaded versions at work. You had helped out Caleb with his crossover. I had a few of these in the parts bin and needed monitors in just 2 days. I figured they would likely be as good (or in this case better) than my old Dynaco A25s for near-field use.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...fa+BC25SC06-04

My brother was the recipient of the truncated versions. Those still may be my favorites...
                                Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Working...
                                X