Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Extended One More Day! Columbus Day Sale at Parts Express! 10/15/19 Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Jkim , would you be willing to try a ribbon with this combo?

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8190

sorry to post product from another website...:o

Comment

Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Originally posted by nicholas_23 View Post

oooh, that does look interesting
      My projects
      https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
        What is a good method to swap between them easily? I was thinking of initially keeping the crossover outside, and running the wire through a temporarily sealed hole that would eventually be one of the wire terminals, and using a basic toggle switch, but was concerned of its ability to carry a clean signal through. Can anyone recommended a good switch for this purpose?
        Don't worry about a signal loss. You'll be fine. In fact, you don't even need a switch. Quick A/B switching is not required since you know in what direction the sound will change in this case. What you want to do is comparing them by long term listening of your favorite music collection. Alligator clips work great. Don't use clips as a signal path. Give just one gentle twist to components' lead wires, and use a clip to hold the connection.

jAy

Comment

...got the additional parts to test the different values....and using a basic toggle switch, but was concerned of its ability to carry a clean signal through. Can anyone recommended a good switch for this purpose?
          Toggle switch is good, even a poor quality switch will not affect the sound (unless it is soooo bad it makes a scratchy sound from poor contacts). If you made your own toggle switch with paper clips, I would bet money with 10:1 odds against me that NOBODY could hear a difference between that switch and a switch made from thick gold plated Beryllium Copper spring contacts, double shielded, etc...

Has anyone else that took advantage of the sale started on a project using them?
          I've got a couple of the version of this woofer that are shielded that I've had for more than a year. I may go ahead and use the crossover work Jay has done. I would probably use the Dayton RS28F tweeter, or, a Vifa tweeter and do the TM design. Too bad I missed the sale, or I prob. would have liked to have picked up another pair of the woofers to do high sensitivity MTMs.
          "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas_23 View Post

I won't use a small ribbon tweeter with a 7" midbass. The dome tweeters selected for this design are a much better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jkim View Post
              ...Quick A/B switching is not required since you know in what direction the sound will change in this case...
              "Required" - perhaps not, but, it certainly allows for a more clear comparison between the two. If the difference is subtle, you need an instant switch to honestly tell the difference and give bias less of a chance to fool your ears.
              "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Jkim , thanks for the reply. Bet these sound good in the current design!

Comment

Okay, using the specifications that Jay laid out for the TM using the SB29RDCN, I tried my hand at an enclosure using Google Sketchup. I am sure it will need tweaking. I welcome all feedback.

This is for the sealed version, using 3/4 MDF, with 1/2 round over on baffle.

My projects

Comment

No opinions?

That bad I guess...tough crowd.

:(
                    My projects

Comment

• Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Looks good as does the net volume for sealed. Will need to cross to a sub at 80-100hz. Build two small subs and use em as stands...side firing. The Dayton SD315 and the buyout Foster plate amps from Jack Hidley tuned to 35hz in 1.5cuft would make for a nice cheap sub system.

Comment

• Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                        Looks good as does the net volume for sealed. Will need to cross to a sub at 80-100hz. Build two small subs and use em as stands...side firing. The Dayton SD315 and the buyout Foster plate amps from Jack Hidley tuned to 35hz in 1.5cuft would make for a nice cheap sub system.
                        I will run these with a Triska sub I built in the summer.

Now if only I can accurately dial-in that crossover adjustment on the SA-70 plate amp.....
                        My projects

Comment

The Tang Band W6-789E is a unique, high-sensitivity (at least 91 dB/2.83 v on IB) midbass driver. Will be on sale for only three days (11/27-11/29) for less than half the regular price---a steal at $20! I once modeled TM 2-ways a while ago, one with the Vifa D26NC55 and the other with BG Neo3PDR. Both builders were very happy with the results. This midbass driver requires rather large a box for a vented alignment, but 0.5 cu ft per driver is not out of the question though 0.7 to 0.8 cu ft is better.

If anyone's interested, I am willing to model up a crossover for TM and MTM with a high-value tweeter. MTM will have anechoic 92.5 - 93 dB system sensitivity even with BSC built in. A tweeter in this system should be at least 94 dB sensitive. One that I'm thinking of is the Vifa BC25SG15-04 (non-shielded version is BC25TG15-04). This is basically a ferrite version of the Vifa's new, popular neo tweeters. 2 kHz LR4 shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          In case you want to go directly to design details:

MTM with SB29RDCN-C000-04

MTM with Vifa DQ25SC16-04

Horizontal MTM for Center Channel with SB29RDCN-C000-04

TM with SB29RDCN-C000-04

TM with Vifa DQ25SC16-04

jAy
                          Jay,
                          I was the one whom you modeled the tm with Vifa neo tweeter some time ago. I have been enjoying them ever since.
                          Would it be possible to build an array of 4 TBs wired series/parallel with a high efficiency tweeter on top? I calculate you should pick up 6-9 db with the array and end up with a high efficiency 8ohm speaker.
                          Regards, Steve.

Comment

Okay, using the specifications that Jay laid out for the TM using the SB29RDCN, I tried my hand at an enclosure using Google Sketchup. I am sure it will need tweaking. I welcome all feedback.

This is for the sealed version, using 3/4 MDF, with 1/2 round over on baffle.
                            Excellent. Good to go with no tweaking.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by castlesteve View Post
                              Jay,
                              I was the one whom you modeled the tm with Vifa neo tweeter some time ago. I have been enjoying them ever since.
                              Would it be possible to build an array of 4 TBs wired series/parallel with a high efficiency tweeter on top? I calculate you should pick up 6-9 db with the array and end up with a high efficiency 8ohm speaker.
                              Regards, Steve.
                              It was you, Steve! Yes, I actually intended to do MTMMM or MMTMM with the SB tweeter, but ended up not doing that. I won't be able to design it at the moment. Let me know if you have all drivers at hand.

jAy

Comment

It was you, Steve! Yes, I actually intended to do MTMMM or MMTMM with the SB tweeter, but ended up not doing that. I won't be able to design it at the moment. Let me know if you have all drivers at hand.

jAy
                                Jay,
                                I`ll let you know when i`ve got them. I`ll probably wait until next month [ mid Jan ] to get them. Is this a feasible project. I`m intruiged to try it as i`m building a 6v6 single ended amp which will only put out about 3 watts.
                                Steve.

Comment

Working...
                                X