Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Extended One More Day! Columbus Day Sale at Parts Express! 10/15/19 Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Originally posted by castlesteve View Post
    Jay,
    I`ll let you know when i`ve got them. I`ll probably wait until next month [ mid Jan ] to get them. Is this a feasible project. I`m intruiged to try it as i`m building a 6v6 single ended amp which will only put out about 3 watts.
    Steve.
    It's feasible if you're okay with large cabinets. Four TB's will require at least 3.5 cu ft volume. A cabient with external dimensions (55"x9"x17") will do. Yes, it's tall and deep, but combined with MMTMM configuration, it will make a really nice system. High sensitivity, 8 ohm load, and strongly controlled vertical directivity. Again, only if you can handle this cabinet size...

Comment

• Re: Willing to do some modeling for the Tang Band W6-789E 6.5" midbass (BF Specials)

Jay,
      i`m fine with the cabinets. You should see my econowaves for a large cabinet. They are pushing 5 cuft. I`m looking forward to doing these as they will be somewhat different to everything else i`ve tried so far.
      Steve.

Comment

Jay,
        i`m fine with the cabinets. You should see my econowaves for a large cabinet. They are pushing 5 cuft. I`m looking forward to doing these as they will be somewhat different to everything else i`ve tried so far.
        Steve.
        Then, tall and slim 4 cu ft cabinets (for example, 58"x9"x18" external) with MMTMM layout will be excellent. Some heavy polyfill at the bottom will be necessary.

Comment

Jay,
          I`ll work out a cabinet design and start on them 1st. I already have enough plywood etc to build these so i can get the basic boxes started. Do i have to separate the drivers or are they all working in the same large cabinet? What tweeter should i go with? I`m assuming i`ll need something with pretty high sensitivity to keep up with the array. I can use winisd to design the cabinet and porting issues.
          Steve.

Comment

Jay,
            I`ll work out a cabinet design and start on them 1st. I already have enough plywood etc to build these so i can get the basic boxes started. Do i have to separate the drivers or are they all working in the same large cabinet? What tweeter should i go with? I`m assuming i`ll need something with pretty high sensitivity to keep up with the array. I can use winisd to design the cabinet and porting issues.
            Steve.
            This is not a 3-way. So all drivers can share one chamber. As for the tweeter, the SB29 dimple dome neo will be great. You can use WinISD for the cabinet and port sizes. Don't go larger than 4.0 cu ft. The Tang Band's Vas is 1.45 cu ft, and we don't want a volume per driver close to its Vas.

jAy

Comment

Jay, I realize this is going to be a bit off from your original enclosure sizes, but I had a question. I've been working on 2 different sized enclosures prior to buying the drivers in this thread. I'd really like to use these enclosures but their size isn't quite right. I have 2 options.

#1. How bad these would sound if the TM was built using about .55 cu ft per cabinet and ported some where around 45hz - 50hz.

#2. Or the TM with only .45 cu ft but sealed.

Those sizes haven't subtracted off the woofer yet. But I'll be building the crossovers outside the box and the tweeter will be in a separate enclosure as well.

Any recommendations, or should I start over?

Comment

The sealed enclosure has an F3 around 95hz requiring a cross to a sub around 80-100hz for power handling while the ported version IF tuned a bit higher.....say 60hz has an F3 around 70hz with no response hump and decent power handling if run without a sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                  The sealed enclosure has an F3 around 95hz requiring a cross to a sub around 80-100hz for power handling while the ported version IF tuned a bit higher.....say 60hz has an F3 around 70hz with no response hump and decent power handling if run without a sub.
                  Thanks Mayhem, I'll be using a sub underneath each TM and powering those subs with the B-20 (probably).

So tuning the smaller enclosure around 45hz will give me a hump in the response somewhere? I have a really interesting enclosure for that, but it might not be the best one to use with this design.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                    So tuning the smaller enclosure around 45hz will give me a hump in the response somewhere? I have a really interesting enclosure for that, but it might not be the best one to use with this design.
                    The usual purpose of a vented design is to use speakers without a subwoofer at moderate listening SPL. Vented 0.55 cu ft is not suitable with the TB for this purpose. But if you want to use them with a subwoofer, you can try either sealed or vented in 0.55 cu ft. In case you want to go vented, tuning the port high will actually give you a noticeable hump around 100 Hz. Attached are Unibox sims of 45 Hz and 60 Hz port tuning in 0.55 cu ft for the TB W6-789E. In fact, low tuning in a small box gives a response very similar to that in a sealed enclosure of the same size, but with improved power handling around the tuning frequency.

You'll be okay with sealed 0.45 cu ft cabinets, too, if you're planning to use them with a subwoofer.

-jAy

W6-789E in vented 15 liters with 45 Hz port tuning

W6-789E in vented 15 liters with 60 Hz port tuning
                    Attached Files

Comment

Jay,
                      For the sealed design, you recommended %80 polyfill. Should the walls also be lined with acoustic foam?
                      My projects
                      https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

No, you don't need to line the walls with damping foam for a sealed design. A vented design needs acoustic foam lining because damping material is not used inside often times. People sometimes use dampening sheets with a barrier material to kill panel resonance, but with this cabinet size and good bracing, that is certainly an overkill. What I meant by 80% polyfill does not mean that 20% of the space is left blank somewhere. You have to cover the whole space but not with excessive density.

Comment

With The FR of these Tang Bands with the SB tweeter in the MTM , I am surprised that they were crossed over at 2,5 Khz or 3Khz and using a foil air core for them and what software did you model them with, for I am looking to get some modeling software that allows as many variations possible instead of the known 2 ways and 3 way configurations. I do have to admit you did an excellent job on these designs. You got me hooked using them. I wish they would go on sale later in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by jkim View Post
                            It was you, Steve! Yes, I actually intended to do MTMMM or MMTMM with the SB tweeter, but ended up not doing that. I won't be able to design it at the moment. Let me know if you have all drivers at hand.

jAy
                            Hi Jay,

I just became aware of this thread...

Did you ever complete the MTMMM or MMTMM variation? Either would be great as there aren't enough high efficiency, benign impedence, low cost designs around. The corresponding relatively large cabinet is a small price to pay for all of the above.

Comment

These should be put in the project section for they are excellent designs are very worthy of being put into that section

Comment

If you mean the "Speaker Gallery", he might not have pictures. If he has pictures, they can go there. That is mainly for 'finished' projects.

If you mean the "Project Showcase", then he has to submit them to Parts Express to see if they want to add his projects, and that he has no control over.

BTW- the way you right your messages is aken to the spam-bots, so a lot of people may not even give you the time of day.
                                Later,
                                Wolf
                                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                                X