Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Open Baffle/"dipole" Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Baffle/"dipole" Build

I love seeing build threads, and I know I will have questions for the electronic experts as I get closer to finishing.... so, I'm posting these to inspire any experts to answer any "newbie" questions should they arise. I'm also putting them up for those, like myself, who just like to see stuff built.

This is an ORION clone/ripoff. My ending goal turned out to be a speaker that could rival or contend with the ORION for under $1200. I don't think they'll sound as good or better, but for the money, I hope they are a much better value with similar sound quality.
    To make the woofer frame/baffle, I chose a self developed "Z-frame." No, I have no Idea how it will sound, but the crossover is active.

Re: Open Baffle/"dipole" Build

I assume you're going the opposing-woofer route?
    I am trolling you.

Comment

Then I measured and marked a MTM(mid-tweeter-mid) outline that would fit on the remaining top part of the speaker.
      I have to mount the tweeter overlapping the mid-woofers, because of the non existent surface area that is needed.

Here is a pic during the routing:

A pic after routing.

I got lucky; the hole for the mid woofers was exact. It is 8.75" diameter for the outer circle and 7.25 for the hole cutout.

Comment

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
        I assume you're going the opposing-woofer route?
        Yes. I hope it will sound alright; It will be unmounted to the top part of the speaker, so if it sounds like a*s, I'll build one with a different design.
        Last edited by ocdSCHACK; 03-12-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Before the holes were cut, I took these pics to inspire me to finish in a timely manner. This is all I have so far, but I'll keep it updated as I move along with the build.

Comment

I may have missed it, but what drivers are you using for bass? Is it all four hi-vi?

Thanks, and please keep us updated on your progress.

Blair

Comment

probably gonna have some nasty diffraction issues mounting the tweeter on top like that, though.
              I am trolling you.

Comment

Originally posted by blair View Post
                I may have missed it, but what drivers are you using for bass? Is it all four hi-vi?

Thanks, and please keep us updated on your progress.

Blair
                Bass: 4 x Peerless XXLS 8 ohm woofers
                Midrange: 4 x 8" Hivi M8N woofers
                Highs: 2 x or 4 x Vifa DX25 neodymium tweeters (Parts Express Buyouts from ProAc speakers)

Comment

Originally posted by ocdSCHACK View Post
                  Bass: 4 x Peerless XXLS 8 ohm woofers
                  Midrange: 4 x 8" Hivi M8N woofers
                  Highs: 2 x or 4 x Vifa DX25 neodymium tweeters (Parts Express Buyouts from ProAc speakers)
                  Very nice looking speakers. You must be very good with your hands and lots of patient.

Do you intend to use passive or active x-over? Any details available yet?

Comment

OOO I want an update... :D

NK
                    I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

Very nice looking speakers. You must be very good with your hands and lots of patient.

Do you intend to use passive or active x-over? Any details available yet?
                      I'm going to use the Behringer DCX2496 for the crossover.
                      I'll post some updates if I get anything good done this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ocdSCHACK View Post
                        I'm going to use the Behringer DCX2496 for the crossover.
                        I use a similar arrangement, quick and effective and more importantly the sound will not disappoint. I am thinking of using passive in the longer term.

Comment

I got some more work done, and here some of the pics. I'll post more when I have time.

I added sides to the front baffle, but they were too big, so I had to make some adjustments.

I marked the part to rough-cut.

Then I routed them flush.

Comment

Next, I used the router to put an angle on the edges of the baffle back. I didn't want the piece look like I meant to combine it with the side panel.

I used a cheese-grater type of file/rasp to get the end edge but sandpaper works too.

Last edited by ocdSCHACK; 12-21-2009, 01:29 PM. Reason: none

Comment

your woodworking prowess really makes me wish you were using a nicer 8" midbass .. say, the peerless HDS?
                              I am trolling you.

Comment

Working...
                              X