Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Kittinger: ML-TL Questions...

Paul:

1. In your Marcato Speakers, the edges of the baffle and left and right sides have a unique and attractive design. It appears that the edges of each "panel" (baffle, left and right side, etc.) are rounded over and joined so that the very inside corners touch. Could you give more detail on how you produced this joint/look, please?

2. You performed some calculations for me using Martin King's MathCAD software for the Audax AP170Z0. I plan to use stock "whitewood" boards from Lowes to construct the enclosures, so the internal dimensions I've arrived at are 6" x 9.5" x 39". These result from using an 8" board for the front (baffle) and rear, which will overlap the sides. The 8" board is actually 7.5", and when I subtract the overlap on each side I'm left with 6" internally on the front and back. The sides will be made from 10" boards, which are actually 9.5". Again, this yields the internal cross section of 6" x 9.5". I then just reused your recommended height of 39", since, if I understand correctly, the height is the crucial dimension for tuning the ML-TL. There will also be a 2.5" port, 2.5" long, in the front 3" above the bottom. There will be 9-10 ounces of stuffing in the top 19" of the enclosure.

Could you please verify that everything will still work after the modifications I made (basically, changed internal cross section from 6.5" x 8.5" to 6" x 9.5")? For the tweeter, I will most likely use the $10.00 Alesis dome tweeter that has been on PE's buyout pages for several months.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Respectfully,
    Leonard Rogol

Re: Paul Kittinger: ML-TL Questions...

bump

Comment

len, what is whitewood? poplar? fir? maybe aspen? how thick is it?
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        len, what is whitewood? poplar? fir? maybe aspen? how thick is it?
        Yeah, I asked them the same question (Lowes). They said pine...but it's not yellow pine, cause that's stocked seperately. It is the wood that they have the widest range of sizes in, and it isn't cedar, yellow pine, poplar, red oak, white oak, or fir (because these are all the other options).

I Googled it, and it seems like everyone is trying to figure out what it is.

Here is a search on Lowe's site for whitewood, but it's still a mystery to me.

I think it's pine. It looks very similar to the 2x4's.

Comment

I used to work at Lowe's in the lumber department actually. White boards are spruce.

Comment

In the Marcato, the cabinet "carcass" has inner sides of 1/2" MDF, plus horizontal window pane braces, to which were attached the back (3/4" oak-veneered plywood), the top (3/4" solid red oak) and the baffle (also 3/4" solid red oak). The visible sides are 1/2" solid red oak and when they were attached, their back edgs were flush with the back of the cabinet, and their top and front edges just overlapped the joints between the top and innner sides, and the joints between the baffle and inner sides. Before attaching the outer sides, I stained the rear panel (walnut) plus applied several coats of polyurethane to it, the top and baffle (no stain on top or baffle). The outer sides were completely finished before gluing them to the rest of the cabinet (stained walnut, then poly'd.) I'll try to attach a photo or two to illustrate.

When one uses Martin King's software to model TLs, the dimensions entered and used are all internal, and those internal dimensions are what I give you for the cabinet. If the wood you choose to use to build something I've modeled ends up changing the internal dimensions, then what you build is no longer what I modeled. If the changes in internal dimensions are minor, there will likely be no audible detriment, however. For the changes you described there will be an increase in cabinet volume of ~3% which is neglible.
            Paul

Originally posted by rogoll View Post
            Paul:

1. In your Marcato Speakers, the edges of the baffle and left and right sides have a unique and attractive design. It appears that the edges of each "panel" (baffle, left and right side, etc.) are rounded over and joined so that the very inside corners touch. Could you give more detail on how you produced this joint/look, please?

2. You performed some calculations for me using Martin King's MathCAD software for the Audax AP170Z0. I plan to use stock "whitewood" boards from Lowes to construct the enclosures, so the internal dimensions I've arrived at are 6" x 9.5" x 39". These result from using an 8" board for the front (baffle) and rear, which will overlap the sides. The 8" board is actually 7.5", and when I subtract the overlap on each side I'm left with 6" internally on the front and back. The sides will be made from 10" boards, which are actually 9.5". Again, this yields the internal cross section of 6" x 9.5". I then just reused your recommended height of 39", since, if I understand correctly, the height is the crucial dimension for tuning the ML-TL. There will also be a 2.5" port, 2.5" long, in the front 3" above the bottom. There will be 9-10 ounces of stuffing in the top 19" of the enclosure.

Could you please verify that everything will still work after the modifications I made (basically, changed internal cross section from 6.5" x 8.5" to 6" x 9.5")? For the tweeter, I will most likely use the $10.00 Alesis dome tweeter that has been on PE's buyout pages for several months.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Respectfully,
            Leonard Rogol
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Paul K.; 01-03-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I believe where you live makes a difference as to the species of " white " wood the stores carry.

As I understand it " white " wood is generally White pine, spruce, hemlock, or fir.

Try to buy some clear spruce though, and you'll be in for stickershock, I've never been able to make heads or tails of it either...
              All statements include, at no charge, an Oklahoma Guarantee: Guaranteed not to Rip, Rap, Flip, Flap, Warp, Wrinkle, or Rust, for 30 Miles or 30 Seconds, if it breaks, YOU get to keep BOTH halves.

Comment

Working...
              X