X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirk
    replied
    Re: 8 Inches of Fury

The "small driver means better transient response" idea doesn't really hold up, especially since you'd be likely to end up porting that small driver. Transient response isn't just based on the moving mass. It's also based on the motor design.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
    Thinking outside the box. Just looking for something different. Thinking that the smaller driver will have better transient response. I could be way off though.
    Transient response is more or less moot in the non-directional frequencies. What counts is moving air, and an eight will only move so much before distortion becomes far more of an issue than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• evilskillit
    replied

Want great sound, good transient response and a driver that wont break the bank. Get the Dayton Reference 10" or 12". They're very musical in a small sealed box, might not shake the foundation but they sound darn good. They can shake the house in a ported box but the box size is about double. They make a reference 8" sub as well but considering the price and box size there aren't many reasons not to go with the 10 or 12.

I picked up some great little TangBand 8" drivers off e-bay for about $10 each with free shipping... But I bought 6 of them.

Leave a comment:

• KeithL
    replied

Originally posted by dubbreak View Post
    Why 8"?

While it could give you a small box a 10" will generally be more efficient and a 12" even more so and will go deeper than a poor little 8.

What are the size restrictions for the sub enclosure?
    Thinking outside the box. Just looking for something different. Thinking that the smaller driver will have better transient response. I could be way off though.

Leave a comment:

• robseyes
    replied

hey dfaulds beat me to it!

Leave a comment:

• robseyes
    replied

Both of the Tang Bands are supposed to be pretty good. They are not in the Soundsplinter's league, but they are A LOT cheaper. Creative Sound's Trio 8 is also supposed to be pretty good (it is 8 ohm though). It's got XBL-2 to boot. Soundsplinter also has some buyout drivers they call "orphan eights". They are supposed to be similar to the original 8's, but cheaper. All of these have varied TS parameters....just depends on what you are going to do with them.

Leave a comment:

• dubbreak
    replied

Why 8"?

While it could give you a small box a 10" will generally be more efficient and a 12" even more so and will go deeper than a poor little 8.

What are the size restrictions for the sub enclosure?

Leave a comment:

• dfaulds
    replied

This one looks pretty nice.

http://meniscusaudio.com/css-trio8-p-946.html

Leave a comment:

• KeithL
    replied

Originally posted by jliedeka View Post
    You might check out the subs from JL Audio. Look under mobile on their site.

Is it just me or does your subject line sound like the title of an adult film? :p
    Those titles seem to get more looks, go figure. Just like my other thread "3-Way Anyone?"

Leave a comment:

• KeithL
    replied

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    A TM with a 6.5" and a single 10-12" subwoofer will fill the space nicely. The single sub will get you loads more than going with 8" in the mains.
    Sorry if I was unclear, I am looking for an 8" subwoofer, not mains.

Leave a comment:

• SpacePatrolman
    replied

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    A TM with a 6.5" and a single 10-12" subwoofer will fill the space nicely. The single sub will get you loads more than going with 8" in the mains.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• MSaturn
    replied

The Usher 8955A or the dayton RS225 are good candidates ..

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xavier
    replied

No, your mind is just as deep in the gutter as mine is.

Leave a comment:

• jliedeka
    replied

You might check out the subs from JL Audio. Look under mobile on their site.

Is it just me or does your subject line sound like the title of an adult film? :p

Leave a comment:

Working...
X