X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8 Inches of Fury

Originally posted by KeithL View Post
    Would you need to high pass the mains?
    Ideally, yes. This removes the burden from the mains, especially if the mains use small mid-basses for their LF. In any event, you can get better integration using a crossover to combine the mains to the subs, just like a proper crossover is needed to combine any two drivers that overlap, for ideal sound quality. If you are using a surround receiver, you can use it's internal crossover and set mains to 'small' and enable sub out pres. However, the crossovers found in receivers are limited. You would do better using a high quality inexpensive external active crossover such as the Behringer CX2310, for example. However, to use an external active crossover, you must have a way to intercept the line level signal from the pre-amp stage before it goes the amplifier stage. If you are using separate components such as stand alone preamp and amps, this is easy. Also, some dedicated stereo receivers and integrated amps have pre out/ main in jacks on the back that are shorted with little connection bars during normal use, but the shorting bars can be removed and you can insert external processing such as this.

-Chris

Comment

I tried to model the SoundSplinter R8-I in a sealed box using WinISD Pro, and I got horrible results. The roll off started very high. I double checked the parameters I got from the SS website... Not sure what I did wrong.

Unfortunately, I still don't know how to properly apply the EQ in WinISD, so I'm not getting very far along modeling any sealed subs.

Out of curiosity, since it's out of budget, but how small of a sealed enclosure can be used with the JL 8w7?

I've been trying to find a good driver that I can put in as small a box as possible, and in WinISD I keep ending up with what appears to be over-damped (low Q). Should I be shooting for a Q lower than .7 for a sealed music sub anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by alphaiii View Post
        I tried to model the SoundSplinter R8-I in a sealed box using WinISD Pro, and I got horrible results. The roll off started very high. I double checked the parameters I got from the SS website... Not sure what I did wrong.

Unfortunately, I still don't know how to properly apply the EQ in WinISD, so I'm not getting very far along modeling any sealed subs.

Out of curiosity, since it's out of budget, but how small of a sealed enclosure can be used with the JL 8w7?

I've been trying to find a good driver that I can put in as small a box as possible, and in WinISD I keep ending up with what appears to be over-damped (low Q). Should I be shooting for a Q lower than .7 for a sealed music sub anyway?
        The RL-i 8 has a low Q, and naturally has a better response in ported. But this is only an issue if you don't have EQ to make a correction. You will need to have a parameteric EQ available where you can add + value gain to the parametric band. Also, you have to consider the effect of the high pass crossover. So, in WinIsd, for example, using a 0.7 ft^3 sealed box, add a low pass filter at 80hz, 4th order, Linkwitz-Riley. Now add a parametric filter, 35Hz, Q=1.0, Gain= +4dB. With the 80hz 4th order crossover, with the above parametric EQ, the F3 anechoic, would be approximately at 30-32Hz. I would add a high pass rumble filter to protect from over-excursion past x-mech. A 2nd order butterwork set at 25Hz would be perfect, and F3 would end up at 33-34Hz, anechoic. This safety filter would allow higher overall output with lower distortion. You must use at least 500 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms rated amplifier.

The JL 8W7 can be used in 0.7 cubic feet net, with excellent results (with parametric EQ and a high power amplifier).

-Chris

Comment

Working...
        X