TriTrix LCR Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TriTrix LCR Build

This thread will document my build of three TriTrix Speakers. The speakers will all be the 10 liter sealed version as designed by Curt Campbell. Please visit Curt's web site for detailed informaton on this popular design: http://speakerdesignworks.com/ I want to thank Curt and everyone on this site for your help and letting me steal your ideas.

Here is the link to the speakers in the Project Speaker Gallery: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=217184

This is the concept for the left and right speakers. This is basically the standard sealed design with a 1" wider baffle.

Here is the concept for the center channel. It's dimensions follow the 10 liter standard design by Curt.

Glue up of center channel 3/4" mdf box.

Baltic Birch ply to be laminated that will provide the core of the L/R bases.

L/R mdf box pieces. Unlike CKMoore my shop has sawdust. (Saftey equipment was left off for documentation purposes. Do not try this at home unless you are an idiot like me.)

Bottom of one of the L/R 3/4" mdf boxes ready for glue.

Top of L/R box.

Glue up of one of the L/R boxes. Thanks to Lunch, I pulled out my 1960's corner clamps.

More to come.
    Mark
    Last edited by MrkCrwly; 04-12-2010, 04:30 PM.
    Mark
    My TriTrix Build
    My Core 2 Way Build
    My RSS315HF-4 Subwoofer Build

Re: TriTrix LCR Build

Those are going to look dynamite!
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Ahh, how good it is to have a biscuit joiner!!

Comment

Here are a few new pictures of the progress on my build.

LCR MDF boxes. Decided to go with removable backs.

Solid oak center baffle glued.

Left and right oak baffles ready for glue up.

Closeup of how walnut accents and openings are added.

Mark
        Mark
        My TriTrix Build
        My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

The basic boxes and baffles are constructed so I am ready to route the speaker openings. For a jig I took a 3/4" mdf scrap and used a 5/8" forstner bit to drill a hole 1/2" deep. The 5/8" hole provides a snug fit for the router bushing that uses my 1/2" straight cutting bit. I needed a 5 3/4" diameter recess so I drilled a center hole 2 5/8" away from the center of the 5/8" hole and used a binding post to spin the template around. The first plunge will cut a 1/2" hole thru the balance of the 3/4" mdf and provide the zero clearance needed to minimize splintering.

Center channel baffle with homemade circle jig.

Jig as it fits on baffle. Right 5/8" hole is what was used.

Inside of L/R baffle.

Outside of L/R baffle.
          Mark
          My TriTrix Build
          My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Looking sweet!
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I have finished the speaker cut outs and I have been making the speaker grilles and tweeter guards. Picked up the magnets at Harbor Freight. 10 for $2. I think the magnets set into the baffle will be left exposed and not covered.

Routing thru solid oak is not as much fun as routing mdf.

Tweeter guards and grille standoffs.
              Mark
              My TriTrix Build
              My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Those are going to look absolutely fantasitc! I love the art deco look...:D

C
                Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                - Aristotle

Comment

Constructed the support bases today. Bases are multiple BB plywood layers covered with 1/2" mdf. Screws up from the bottom will secure the baffle into the void of the base.

Tops of base glued and routed flush.

Corners dressed with 1/4" round over.
                  Mark
                  My TriTrix Build
                  My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

The speakers are coming together and I am really starting to get the itch to hear the TriTrix. Two pair of speakers will be delivered monday and since I am only building 3 speakers (LCR) I will be placing an ad to sell the fourth in PE's Free Classifieds forum.

Baffles are finished and ready for the speaker grilles. All dowel sections are held to the baffles with magnets.

1/4" BB frame for speaker cloth. Corners are half lapped.

MDF was prepped with wood filler, sanding sealer, duplicolor primer/surfacer and painted with one can of satin black. Of course each step was followed by sanding and the black paint was used as a guide coat for finish sanding.

MDF after one rattle can of flat black was sprayed. Seeing CKMoore's flat black baffle I switched from satin to flat. Thanks CK.
                    Mark
                    My TriTrix Build
                    My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

That is excellent work. Wow. Very nice.

I may know someone who would want the other equipment.....

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                        That is excellent work. Wow. Very nice.

I may know someone who would want the other equipment.....
                        Thanks. I'm having fun.
                        Will sell speakers for what I paid. Let me know.
                        Mark
                        My TriTrix Build
                        My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Spikes for Sealed TriTrix?

Should I use spikes for For my left and right sealed TriTrix speakers? I will be using a sub so I will not be sending a signal below 80 to the TriTrix. In other words is coupliing to the floor just for bass or does it have another purpose?
                          Mark
                          My TriTrix Build
                          My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Wow, I really need a biscuit joiner... Great paint job and the wood work came out nice.
                            http://hexaudio.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks. I still need to take some pictures now that they are finished. I am now building a pair of the TriTrix for surrounds. But, I could stop building speakers anytime I wanted. Maybe after a sub, and maybe some Coppers.....
                              Mark
                              My TriTrix Build
                              My Core 2 Way Build

Comment

Working...
                              X