X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zvuchniak
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Hey guys. I have some questions (maby dumb ones) so please shut me up when you think that i'm babbling :D

I've been playing with PCD some more. Zilch (thanks again big guy) gave measurements details for Delite as .FRD and .ZMA for it in this post:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...&postcount=136

I tryed to find the acoustic offsets for Deltalite and B&C DE250-8 in PCD using guide in PDF from Jeff Bagby (to who i dont know how to thank enough for everything he did for DIY community).

My question is this... Since Deltalite II 2512 is aproximetly same depth and size like Kappalite 3012 i entered same distance (-0.065m) at Z axis in PCD but came up with nothing. Then i tried to find it myself like the guide said and this is with what i came up with:

.FRD and .ZMA imported in PCD and then adjusted measuring distance (47") and vertical offsets (10.5"):

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/408...maimported.jpg

This is acoustic offset at Z axis that gave me identical response:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9...tersdeadon.jpg

Could this be true or am i doing something wrong here ? Acoustic offset which shows that Deltalites acoustic center is 11cm (4.33") behind (further from the listener) from the QSC B&C DE250-8 ? Physically the diference is almost the same like with Deluxe.
    Last edited by Zvuchniak; 12-24-2011, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    Yeah but it's long been my contention that you need a 1.4" CD or larger to play to 700hz nicely and now the +10hz content suffers on both FR and directivity still leaning towards a three way only now with a super tweeter of sorts. Not a bad thing, but still a 3way. Better to fatten up the bottom IMO.
    They make a 1", 1.4" and 2" version, I don't recall there being much of a difference between them...

Leave a comment:

• JoshK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Sizing depends on your woofer choice, the F3 you want and the waveguide you've chosen. Easy enough to figure out.

Originally posted by JoshK View Post
    Anyone use the knock down birch cabinets to build an econowave build? I am just wondering if the sizes work.

Leave a comment:

• JoshK
    replied

Anyone use the knock down birch cabinets to build an econowave build? I am just wondering if the sizes work.

Leave a comment:

• edlafontaine
    replied

Does anyone know anyone near Wilmington, NC that is a Pro Audio DIY hobbyist/expert?
    He's not in Wilmington...a little further up-country, I believe. Michael Mardis, aka Pano @ diyaudio

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/pano.html

Leave a comment:

• travisg
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    Very OT, family vacation with parents at Carolina Beach. What a beautiful spot.

Travis, have you been to AVSforum DIY speaker subforum? Very many people there with similar interests. Check it out.
    And I was in Wisconsin last month
    I have been there, but just registered... I figured here would be better since this idea is sort of based on a Ewave. But I'll start a thread there.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Very OT, family vacation with parents at Carolina Beach. What a beautiful spot.

Travis, have you been to AVSforum DIY speaker subforum? Very many people there with similar interests. Check it out.

Leave a comment:

• travisg
    replied

Not quite. I'm talking about a 10" or 12" Econowave variant, with the 18" woofer on the bottom, and the 10 or 12 as the mid. Otherwise, you need to find a large horn and a very robust mid/tweet to be able to reliably reach 700Hz, or lower.
    So how would I wire up the woofers? Simply parallel the 10 and 18, or is it not that simple? I expect it's not that simple...

Back to my question about Kappalite series vs. Sigma. Are the differences in drivers worth the extra cost given that I'm looking for a very high SPL and somewhat SQL speaker system? Plus the SPL of the Kappalite is rather lower, but the Sigma has lower Xmax so less bass extension. But I intend to add subs anyway...

Does anyone know anyone near Wilmington, NC that is a Pro Audio DIY hobbyist/expert?

Edit: I'm thinking a Sigma Pro-18A-2, a Kappa-12A, and a DE250-8. Any criticism with driver selections? I picked the woofers because of the 99dB SPL, good power handling, xmax, low Le, lower cost, and reviews.
    Last edited by travisg; 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    You can find CD's that will reach down to 700Hz in the correct horn no problem. You could even try the BMS 4592D coax CD... a couple of the Faital Pro CDs can go to 500Hz, the more expensive ones.

www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm
    Yeah but it's long been my contention that you need a 1.4" CD or larger to play to 700hz nicely and now the +10hz content suffers on both FR and directivity still leaning towards a three way only now with a super tweeter of sorts. Not a bad thing, but still a 3way. Better to fatten up the bottom IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by travisg View Post
    So what you're getting at is to use one 18", a midrange for around 700hz to 1200hz, and then one of the large horns and modify the crossover to accomodate?

How much modification would that require in the crossover?
    Not quite. I'm talking about a 10" or 12" Econowave variant, with the 18" woofer on the bottom, and the 10 or 12 as the mid. Otherwise, you need to find a large horn and a very robust mid/tweet to be able to reliably reach 700Hz, or lower.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

You can find CD's that will reach down to 700Hz in the correct horn no problem. You could even try the BMS 4592D coax CD... a couple of the Faital Pro CDs can go to 500Hz, the more expensive ones.

www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

Leave a comment:

• travisg
    replied

So what you're getting at is to use one 18", a midrange for around 700hz to 1200hz, and then one of the large horns and modify the crossover to accomodate?

How much modification would that require in the crossover?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by travisg View Post
    Has anyone done a Ewave using 18" woofers? If not, any reason not to?
    And is there any reason to use the Eminence Kappalite series vs. the Delta or Sigma series?

Reason I ask is I'm interested in doing a 2.5 with 2 18" Eminence Sigmas.
    There is no reason you couldn't use an 18" woofer, but to keep in the spirit of the econowave series, you'd need a much larger horn, so that you could cross at 700Hz or less. The impetus behind this series of systems is to seamlessly blend the woofer's loss of directivity, so that as you move off axis, the response drops uniformly across the band. If you try to push an 18" woofer to 1KHz, or higher, the off axis response will be dropped off quite a bit compared to the on axis response. A tweeter will have a much more broad dispersion, so what happens is that as you move off axis, there will be a suckout at 1KHz, and a peak above that as the tweeter response isn't rolled off. By choosing a lower XO point and a larger horn for the tweeter, you can better control the off axis character of the tweeter, to better match the woofer.

Were I you, I'd build an econowave variant, and turn it into a 3way with the 18" on the bottom, and forget the 2.5-way approach.

The Kappalites used in the Deluxe and Deluxe HO are top-tier performers, with exceptional linearity and extremely low distortion. They're just really well designed drivers, with plenty of copper in the motors. I think that's the main reason they would be chosen. They're very tough to beat.

Leave a comment:

• travisg
    replied

Has anyone done a Ewave using 18" woofers? If not, any reason not to?
    And is there any reason to use the Eminence Kappalite series vs. the Delta or Sigma series?

Reason I ask is I'm interested in doing a 2.5 with 2 18" Eminence Sigmas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X