X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travisg
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Has anyone done a Ewave using 18" woofers? If not, any reason not to?
    And is there any reason to use the Eminence Kappalite series vs. the Delta or Sigma series?

Reason I ask is I'm interested in doing a 2.5 with 2 18" Eminence Sigmas.

Leave a comment:

• dtruck
    replied

EDIT: I managed to locate the incredibly dumb issue with my measurement setup on my own, but I will leave this link to my build thread in its place in case anyone wants to get involved there: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...=387079&page=4
    Last edited by dtruck; 11-15-2011, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Skywave-Rider
    replied

Yes. Right now I am going through the manual and seeing how things work. I suppose I have to make FR measurements with drivers mounted on baffle. I will go back and review this thread to see if I understand the process.

I will have questions. : )

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

You'd really need to take measurements and put them into PCD...

Leave a comment:

• Skywave-Rider
    replied

Finally got PCD running, halleluiah!

Leave a comment:

• Skywave-Rider
    replied

Is there an advantage to offsetting a small waveguide like the JBL 6x6 in a baffle, in the way many dome tweeters are, to help minimize baffle effects? Or is this not needed since there is directivity control?

Does PCD model this?

Leave a comment:

• mike price
    replied

Originally posted by figure8 View Post
    "If you run the two LE14a's in parallel you'll gain 6db of sensitivity , which is a good thing. You will want to build it as a 2.5 way though , to avoid comb filtering effects which will result from the bottom woofer being too far from the tweeter for the 1.6k crossover frequency. This can be implemented with the addition of a single coil added between the two woofers."
    Could you avoid the comb filter effect by putting one woofer on top of the waveguide and the other below. a/k/a MTM? Would this screw up the crossover designed for only one woofer. Phil
    That would work as well , drawback being that the top woofer will be pretty high up to still keep the tweeter on axis at listening height.

Leave a comment:

• figure8
    replied

"If you run the two LE14a's in parallel you'll gain 6db of sensitivity , which is a good thing. You will want to build it as a 2.5 way though , to avoid comb filtering effects which will result from the bottom woofer being too far from the tweeter for the 1.6k crossover frequency. This can be implemented with the addition of a single coil added between the two woofers."
    Could you avoid the comb filter effect by putting one woofer on top of the waveguide and the other below. a/k/a MTM? Would this screw up the crossover designed for only one woofer. Phil

Leave a comment:

• smokarz
    replied

hey guys, is there a big performance diff between the Standard and SR versions?

the Standard can be build for roughly half of what it cost to build the SR.

thinking of building a cheap waveguide for center duty, and the Standard seems to fit the bill well. the SR is also another good option, but if there's no major performance gap between the two, then why build something that cost almost 2x more?

thanks

Leave a comment:

• CZ Eddie
    replied

Originally posted by mike price View Post
    If you run the two LE14a's in parallel you'll gain 6db of sensitivity , which is a good thing. You will want to build it as a 2.5 way though , to avoid comb filtering effects which will result from the bottom woofer being too far from the tweeter for the 1.6k crossover frequency. This can be implemented with the addition of a single coil added between the two woofers.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've heard a lot of bad things about 2.5 ways.
    Probably best to just stick with a simple 2 way and skip the second LE14A.

Leave a comment:

• mike price
    replied

Originally posted by CZ Eddie View Post
    Thanks, not sure how I missed that. The 4, 8 & 16 ohm version crossovers do have different components.

My thinking was to pair the 8ohm QSC + D220ti top with a LE14A bottom crossover. But instead, to have a pair of LE14A's per speaker (vertical mounted) instead of just one per speaker.
    Thing is, I think even the 16ohm versions of the LE14A's are actually more like 8ohm.. Which would make the pair either 4 ohm or 16 ohm, depending on wiring. Wasn't sure how that would work out.
    If you run the two LE14a's in parallel you'll gain 6db of sensitivity , which is a good thing. You will want to build it as a 2.5 way though , to avoid comb filtering effects which will result from the bottom woofer being too far from the tweeter for the 1.6k crossover frequency. This can be implemented with the addition of a single coil added between the two woofers.

Leave a comment:

• CZ Eddie
    replied

Originally posted by spongebob2 View Post
    http://home.comcast.net/~dnewma04/EconowaveBoM.htm
    Here is a link to the parts but I think the variations are for the woofers- not sure of top end.
    Thanks, not sure how I missed that. The 4, 8 & 16 ohm version crossovers do have different components.

Originally posted by mike price View Post
    The HF sections of the Econowaves are Driver/Waveguide specific. The woofer sections vary greatly , and were intended to be tweaked by the builder to match up properly with one of the HF variants , unless you're using one of the complete designs outlined on the first page of this thread. I don't think there would be any problem using a 16ohm woofer with one of the E-wave HF sections , but the CD/Waveguide should remain one of the proven designs .
    My thinking was to pair the 8ohm QSC + D220ti top with a LE14A bottom crossover. But instead, to have a pair of LE14A's per speaker (vertical mounted) instead of just one per speaker.
    Thing is, I think even the 16ohm versions of the LE14A's are actually more like 8ohm.. Which would make the pair either 4 ohm or 16 ohm, depending on wiring. Wasn't sure how that would work out.

Leave a comment:

• david_b
    replied

Could the Econowave S-8 version be built as specified with the specified drivers and crossover, but instead of a sealed box, using a vented box with about .5 or .6 cubic foot volume and a tuning frequency in the 70 - 80 hz range? According to WinISD this gives a F3 between 70 and 80 HZ. Would this require changing the crossover (I would think not, as long as baffle width is roughly same, but am unsure...)

Could it take 225 W in this configuration, as spec'd?

I am hoping that this will give the option for getting more bass out of it when I don't need full power, and then when I need more power maybe I could just hi-pass it? Or maybe I could just plug the port which would give a system with Qtc of .62 in .5 cubic foot box.

Leave a comment:

• mike price
    replied

The HF sections of the Econowaves are Driver/Waveguide specific. The woofer sections vary greatly , and were intended to be tweaked by the builder to match up properly with one of the HF variants , unless you're using one of the complete designs outlined on the first page of this thread. I don't think there would be any problem using a 16ohm woofer with one of the E-wave HF sections , but the CD/Waveguide should remain one of the proven designs .

Leave a comment:

• spongebob2
    replied

http://home.comcast.net/~dnewma04/EconowaveBoM.htm
    Here is a link to the parts but I think the variations are for the woofers- not sure of top end.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X