X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CZ Eddie
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Just out of curiosity, could 16 ohm CD and woofer be used in place of 8 ohm for otherwise perfected crossovers designed for 8 ohm drivers? What would the downsides be?

Leave a comment:

• tsloms
    replied

Originally posted by smokarz View Post
    thanks,

1) is your box sealed?

2) did you use the original e-wave mini xo?

3) any reasons for not using the selenium cd/wg?

4) did you take any measurements?
    The box that I used was ported and tuned to about 65 hertz.

I used the special XO that Zilch designed specifically for the Beta 8A and XD120.

As can be seen in the previous posts the XD120 was only $30 each at the time and was an awesome deal for such a good horn/CD.

I have not taken any measurements yet but they sound great and play very loud.

One thing that I did while building mine was to place the L pad inside the cabinet but lined up with the port so that I can make adjustments on the fly with a long screwdriver. I didn't want to have an external L pad showing.

My next build is using to build 3 front speakers for my theater to replace my Natalie P's. They will be actively crossed with the MiniDSP and using the Faital Pro 12PR300 woofers and B&C DE500 CD's on the QSC horns. It should be fun. :D:D

Leave a comment:

• stguet
    replied

Just built my Ewave with Faital Pro 12PR300 and D220TI and used the standerd crossover in a 2 cuft ported box. The sound is cold, dry and somewhat fatiguing. Is it that im not used to the clean sound or can they be tweeked. Is there anyone in central FL erea that can help me dial them in. These are permenent outdoor mounted on posts. I also have a titan 39 sub with a Faital pro 12FH500. Any help would be great.

Leave a comment:

• donprice
    replied

eWave mini = Alpha8 and XD120. I haven't tried tweaking the crossover to compensate for using the alpha instead of the beta. I assume that big dip at 1000 Hz is room related. Floor bounce maybe?

Mic distance = 44", 24" off floor @ woofer/waveguide centerline.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

thanks much for answering my questions.

can i still get my hands on a pair of XD120?
    Yes....i was the one who searched it up on the QSC site and bought 6 of em. I have a pair available. I paid $76 including shipping if you want em.

Leave a comment:

• smokarz
    replied

thanks much for answering my questions.

can i still get my hands on a pair of XD120?

Leave a comment:

• donprice
    replied

thanks,

1) is your box sealed?

I did the same thing as tsloms except I copied the dayton 0.75 ft^3 staright-side box. To answer your questions:

1) - no, I used 2x 1.5" diameter ports. Forgot the length...

2) Zilch worked up one specifically for the XD120 and the Beta 8...look for link at bottom of Post # 1.

3) The XD120 was closed out by QSC parts for something like $30 each (driver and waveguide). That was a bargain.

4) No. But they have moved from the garage to the living room are now sitting next to the measurement gear. I should get to it in a day or two.

Leave a comment:

• smokarz
    replied

thanks,

1) is your box sealed?

Leave a comment:

• tsloms
    replied

looking to build a pair of e-waves mini for surrounds.

anyone built these recently? any build threads? thanks
    I built a pair of the mini Ewaves using the Beta 8A woofer and XD120 CD/horn but I have not made up a build thread. I put them in the PE .75 cu. ft. curved cabinets and they fit beautifully. They have incredible output for the smallish size.

Leave a comment:

• smokarz
    replied

looking to build a pair of e-waves mini for surrounds.

anyone built these recently? any build threads? thanks

Leave a comment:

• mike price
    replied

Originally posted by donprice View Post
    Sounds like a monster, Mike! I don't think anyone has ever returned the DE250 and gone back to the D220Ti. For the effort invested, I would go with the better HF section.

How did you model the efficiency of the 2.5 design? My understanding is that you roll off the 0.5 woofer low enough that you would only have a single woofer running near the crossover....so you get better bottom end performance. I'm not knocking what you are saying, I'm just trying to understand more about it since a 2.5 design/build is on my bucket list. Zilch posted a 2.5 model in the eWave mini thread (?) but I can't seem to find it....

Good luck!
    I've been skimming through both of those monster threads trying to find info on 2.5 way E-waves myself , no luck yet. I just modeled the 2 drivers in parallel in Bass Box. You are correct on your understanding of the 2.5 way , and I believe it also works out so that the second woofer takes care of the baffle step increasing overall efficiency. If I go this route , I'm pretty sure I will go with the deluxe top end , and yes it will be quite large. The cabinet will be 5-6 cubic feet , but the ones I'll be replacing are 11 cubic feet , so I guess it's all relative. Before I would build though , I'd like to get any feedback possible on the Delta-12LFA's , and any possible problems I may have with the design in general.

Leave a comment:

• donprice
    replied

Sounds like a monster, Mike! I don't think anyone has ever returned the DE250 and gone back to the D220Ti. For the effort invested, I would go with the better HF section.

How did you model the efficiency of the 2.5 design? My understanding is that you roll off the 0.5 woofer low enough that you would only have a single woofer running near the crossover....so you get better bottom end performance. I'm not knocking what you are saying, I'm just trying to understand more about it since a 2.5 design/build is on my bucket list. Zilch posted a 2.5 model in the eWave mini thread (?) but I can't seem to find it....

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• mike price
    replied

How much of an improvement IS the QSC/DE250 combo , over the standard D220TI econowave? It's certainly a lot more money , but it's something I am considering for my next build.

Would the Delta-12LFA be a good candidate for a woofer in an E-wave?

Also , would two of them in parallel be to sensitive , even after baffle step loss , for the QSC/DE250 top end?

I considered using 2 in each cabinet in a 2.5way configuration , which would get me to about 127db max spl , sensitivity would be around 101db at 2.83 volts , before baffle step.

I know the sensitivity of the DE250 is about 108db , but how much of that is lost to cd compensation?

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

Originally posted by stgdz View Post
    biggest advantage in switching from the original waveguide to the 152i now that PE has them in stock?
    IMO
    Probably getting away from the D220Ti and it's broadband breakup and going with the DE250, a much smoother less harsh sound.

Leave a comment:

• stgdz
    replied

biggest advantage in switching from the original waveguide to the 152i now that PE has them in stock?

I built a set of SR's with the original waveguide but now that they are back in stock I am thinking of making the switch. Its for the neighbors sound system and he has a three person couch about 13-15ft from the speakers, the center is below the screen and below the listeners by about 2ft.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X