X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stgdz
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

anyone know the CTC spacing on the S8 mini?

Leave a comment:

• penngray
    replied

Originally posted by BmWr75 View Post
    You are the second person that has told me the DCX2496 is very quiet. May have to check one of those out.
    The DCX does increase the "HISS" of Compression drivers about 5 or 6dBs because it does have "HOT pro audio" type outputs.

To eliminate the issue you will require proper gain structure control. IE. You need to turn the gain on your amps down to around 15 percent and increase the input signal into the DCX.

I recently moved from the DCX to the MiniDSP and now I have zero noise issues. I do not have the ability to have the best gain structure control in some of my setups.

FWIW, I have tested many comercial amps and the best one I have found is the ATI series amps. They have the best noise floor that I have found for high sensitivity tweeters. The actually do have gain control on the back too....best amps I have found and I own a few amps.

Leave a comment:

• stgdz
    replied

Yeah, its one of the things I wondered about when comparing the compact to the SR. Both use the same components but different waveguides, the crossover drops the efficiency on the compact though.

Leave a comment:

• donprice
    replied

Originally posted by stgdz View Post
    most people like the SR because it was a more efficient system.
    I hadn't noticed that. Looks like a 6-7 dB difference. I wouldn't have thought making the woofer play nice with the D220Ti would result in that much of a difference due to crossover changes.

Leave a comment:

• giverago
    replied

Hmm you are right, Im looking for a good design for a 2000 sq ft basement to do double duty home theater and dance club I might not need the SR. Just something that will play down to 80hz.

Leave a comment:

• stgdz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• donprice
    replied

Originally posted by giverago View Post
    Do I use the SR's crossover still if I use the regular econowave waveguide?
    Go with the SR Compact since it uses the "regular" Dayton H6512 waveguide. Note that the SR used the bolt-on version of the D220Ti and the SR Compact uses the threaded version.

Leave a comment:

• augerpro
    replied

I've found the dbx active crossovers (223 actually) to be quieter than the Behringer CX2310 I had. The Behringer made noticeable hiss. I also have a DCX2496 and I don't believe it is in any way silent.

Leave a comment:

• giverago
    replied

You can't, unless you have a serial # for the HPR152i all points are cut off. There is no way to get them, QSC has shut it down and PE can't get the design rights to them.

Do like I do and just build it with the regular econowave waveguide.

I have a question though on the SR crossover

Is the polarity reversed in this crossover for the tweeter?
    Do I use the SR's crossover still if I use the regular econowave waveguide?

Leave a comment:

• BmWr75
    replied

You are the second person that has told me the DCX2496 is very quiet. May have to check one of those out.

Leave a comment:

• vlad335
    replied
    Re: Precursor to eConowave - need crossover design input

Originally posted by BmWr75 View Post

The speakers sound great biamped using a Behringer CX3400, with one exception, a high noise floor in both the compression drivers and the woofers. I bought another CX3400 and it has the same issue. All my trouble shooting indicates the crossover is the issue (and I've done a lot of TS).

Thanks,
    Scott
    I don't know anything about passive crossovers but I have run an active system using a Behringer DCX-2496. I didn't have any noise. Well, a tiny bit of hiss from the horns but had to turn it up and put my ear next to one to hear it.

Leave a comment:

• BmWr75
    replied
    Precursor to eConowave - need crossover design input

Hi Guys,

Back in 2008, Zilch and I built this set of speakers using these components and an active crossover:

Cabinet volume = 1.43 ft3

AK build thread:http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160792
    Quoting Zilch
    "Horns: JBL PT-D95HF. Score the Masonite so they mount flush from the front.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachm...2&d=1208200912

Drivers: BMS 4555

http://www.bmspro.info/index.php?sho...10280&id=54366

Woofers: JBL 127H-1 off eBay, rear mounted like the Jensens.

Ports: MAY fit through the front. Provide interior dimensions for modeling and calculation.

Crossover: 1.8 kHz active, Behringer CX3400 with simple compensation filter. I haven't designed a passive for these yet."

I touched bases with Zilch a number of times over the last few years on designing a passive crossover, but we never got around to it.

The speakers sound great biamped using a Behringer CX3400, with one exception, a high noise floor in both the compression drivers and the woofers. I bought another CX3400 and it has the same issue. All my trouble shooting indicates the crossover is the issue (and I've done a lot of TS).

So, my question is would any of the eConowave cross over variants work for this BMS and JBL combo that are posted here on AK or on the Parts Express Tech Talk forum? What do you guys think?

The Altec 414Z project used the BMS 4555 HF driver. What might need to be changed in this crossover to facilitate the JBL 127H-1 woofer I used?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

so in post 1230 http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...postcount=1230 I didn't reverse the polarity.

did I miss something with the crossover because when I go back and reverse the polarity it messes up all the phases.
    Double check all your Z offsets. Either the woofer is behind the tweeter or in front, but one of them needs to be the 0 reference. You've got the tweeter offset by a HUGE amount.

Leave a comment:

• stgdz
    replied

It certainly looks that way from the posted schematic.
    so in post 1230 http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...postcount=1230 I didn't reverse the polarity.

did I miss something with the crossover because when I go back and reverse the polarity it messes up all the phases.

Leave a comment:

• dtruck
    replied

psssst. badges: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...ostcount=12937

;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X