X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zvuchniak
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

The components are in the path of the signal. Doesn't matter whether it's shunt or series.
    Totally agree. It's just a little hard for me to express myself in English with that kind of ease, so you could know exactly what i meant. Sorry 'bout that What i meant was that there are number of audiophiles that can say the difference between two types of capacitors, or two types of inductors (with or without core, etc.) . When notch filters are shunt, it should be more immune on that influences (resistance of inductors and certain parameters of capacitors that are used).

That said, looks real good. I'd widen the 2KHz notch to bring down that region just a touch more. That added emphasis may make female vocals a little too "hot."
    I'll try both versions of it and see for myself what gives the best sounding solution of this e(wave)quation :D Thanks again.

Regards, Z...

Leave a comment:

• bruson
    replied

Simple enough to see. measure an inductor above, and on the MDF. If it hasn't changed, it hasn't changed.

Anything else is hypnosis . . . IMO of course.
    (BTW, thanks for all your contributions on Flex your PCD)

I think raising the inductors above the MDF did not change their values.
    But I can't measure that.

Perhaps it just changed or reduced their magnetic field interaction with the other components?

As Starkiller4299 says maybe the MDF or paint has a slight amount of magnetic/conductive material suspended in it. I don't know.

I'm reporting what I hear because I can't measure a difference. Suspending inductors, using teflon caps and Mills resistors are no replacement for sound engineering principles and measurements. Maybe a little icing.

Next up: I'll be hypnotizing myself to believe I have made perfect, flawless CD speakers!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by Zvuchniak View Post
    I've been doing some more simulations recently. I'm curious, what do you think about this ?

I used two series notch filters to flatten the response but in paralel with the tweeter. That way the sound will not be so dependent/compromised by the components because they are not in the direct path of the signal. Or am i mistaken ?

Regards...
    The components are in the path of the signal. Doesn't matter whether it's shunt or series. I tried both ways too, and found the series version to present a friendlier impedance and easy component values.

That said, looks real good. I'd widen the 2KHz notch to bring down that region just a touch more. That added emphasis may make female vocals a little too "hot."

Leave a comment:

• Zvuchniak
    replied

I've been doing some more simulations recently. I'm curious, what do you think about this ?

I used two series notch filters to flatten the response but in paralel with the tweeter. That way the sound will not be so dependent/compromised by the components because they are not in the direct path of the signal. Or am i mistaken ?

Regards...

Leave a comment:

• Zvuchniak
    replied
    Re: EconoWave Deluxe:

Originally posted by bruson View Post
    In my Xover I've gone back to a Gedlee style.
    I looked at a few photos of Nathan and Abbey xovers on various sites of various ages, 2008-2010.
    I measured all the inductors and caps physical sizes using Madisound and stuff I have on hand and came up with a educated guess for values. Photoshop was a big help. So were Gedlee posts in DIY and his diy builders. I'm sure they are not exactly what he uses now, especially as he has improved them in late 2010.
    Listening tests tell me my versions of Gedlee xovers improve it more than my version of a Zilch filter.
    On a simple FR they no real difference from Zilch-type xover. None. Just like using teflon caps and Mills resistors showed no FR difference.
    But everything sounded cleaner and clearer. My girlfriend and my son even noticed. But the FR didn't. It's not worth posting the charts.
    Now I know why guys who live and die by measurements laugh at my audio hallucinations, er, subjective listening decisions. I couldn't measure any difference, but it sounded so much better. Gedlee is on to something that hasn't been discussed on this thread.

I had some air core inductors from Madisound. The white plastic type everyone uses.
    After I thought my xover sounded great from guessing Gedlee parameters I bought some Jensen Air cores from PE.
    Care to post electrical scheme of the xover you used with your speakers ???

Regards, Z ...

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Simple enough to see. measure an inductor above, and on the MDF. If it hasn't changed, it hasn't changed.

Anything else is hypnosis . . . IMO of course.

Leave a comment:

• Starkiller4299
    replied

Well, my personal opinion of the matter is that if you can't measure a difference between something that sounds 'good' and something that sounds 'bad', you aren't making the right measurements :p. Not that I'm saying I know all the right measurements, but any true sonic difference should be identifiable, repeatable, and thus measurable with the appropriate equipment.

It's possible that the mdf has a slight amount of magnetic/conductive material suspended in it. That may be altering the characteristics of components over it.

Leave a comment:

• bruson
    replied
    Re: EconoWave Deluxe:

In my Xover I've gone back to a Gedlee style.
    I looked at a few photos of Nathan and Abbey xovers on various sites of various ages, 2008-2010.
    I measured all the inductors and caps physical sizes using Madisound and stuff I have on hand and came up with a educated guess for values. Photoshop was a big help. So were Gedlee posts in DIY and his diy builders. I'm sure they are not exactly what he uses now, especially as he has improved them in late 2010.
    Listening tests tell me my versions of Gedlee xovers improve it more than my version of a Zilch filter.
    On a simple FR they no real difference from Zilch-type xover. None. Just like using teflon caps and Mills resistors showed no FR difference.
    But everything sounded cleaner and clearer. My girlfriend and my son even noticed. But the FR didn't. It's not worth posting the charts.
    Now I know why guys who live and die by measurements laugh at my audio hallucinations, er, subjective listening decisions. I couldn't measure any difference, but it sounded so much better. Gedlee is on to something that hasn't been discussed on this thread.

I had some air core inductors from Madisound. The white plastic type everyone uses.
    After I thought my xover sounded great from guessing Gedlee parameters I bought some Jensen Air cores from PE.

Cleaner and clearer sound. The spacing and layout of inductors didn't change that much.
    Next I strung them up over the MDF for fun and to use up crap I had laying around.
    You guessed it, cleaner and clearer sound.

Mutual inductance aint the answer, unless inductors in a notch filter being 3-5 inches from each other makes a difference.

I'm not gonna bother to measure it.
    Why would magnetics, inductors, be so affected by being lifted off MDF? Dielectric constant?
    I think there is an E-field around inductors besides a magnetic field, or does MDF affect magnetics too?

Why can't I measure these differences?

Leave a comment:

• Zvuchniak
    replied

Originally posted by bruson View Post
    Waveguides from Poland:
    http://www.diysoundgroup.com/WaveGuides.htm

They are doing a group buy at DIY audio.

I used to be like you too, about crossovers. To me simpler the better.

Now my xover has 17 parts (I think). My best sounding speaker ever.

With 3 notch filters.

Done right it's great sounding.

Done wrong it's sounds like crap.
    Thanks for the tip ;)

Leave a comment:

• bruson
    replied

First i want to thank you for your patience. I'm still learning on how to use PCD and how to make xovers.

It is not the price of components that i was worried about (they are fairly cheap). I've seen quite a bit of speakers that had few kilos of xovers but sounded bad.

Few bad experiences led me to believe that any speaker that has too much components on the xover will sound bad.

I trust you on this one and i agree with you in almost everything you've wrote in this post. I am aware of QSC supremacy over this WG but i could not find it anywhere in Serbia. I was looking for JBL PT-F95 or QSC-HPR152i but zilch

There are no other WG's here except this type so i used what i had.

Thanks again Pete. I will use xover you suggested to me and then post some pictures and listening impressions. If nothing else, i hope that i influenced some of the guys, that are lurking, to activate little with their own ideas :D

Regards, Zvuchniak ...

Waveguides from Poland:
    http://www.diysoundgroup.com/WaveGuides.htm

They are doing a group buy at DIY audio.

I used to be like you too, about crossovers. To me simpler the better.

Now my xover has 17 parts (I think). My best sounding speaker ever.

With 3 notch filters.

Done right it's great sounding.

Done wrong it's sounds like crap.

Leave a comment:

• muzikal-jrne
    replied
    Re: Porting of the knock down cab

Originally posted by srbliss View Post
    Can someone tell me what the porting is for these cabs - I am going to build a 'to Zilch' build of the 'high power pro' e-waves that will sit on a pair of B380 clones. I have spent many hours searching but can't seem to find the porting info on these.
    Thanks
    Steve
    The woofers should arrive Thursday.
    I use WinISD to model enclosures below 200 Hz.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=883104

It has really good help files. Make sure to follow the specific order they recommend for inputting the driver parameters, it matters.

Cheers, Joe

Leave a comment:

• donprice
    replied

To the best of my knowledge, the trap cabs Zilch used for testing were not tuned or optimized for any particular woofer (except for maybe the first one in the box). I would keep the same baffle (dimensions, c-c distance, horizontal offsets) but look at optimizing volume and tuning for your application.

Leave a comment:

• srbliss
    replied
    Porting of the knock down cab

Can someone tell me what the porting is for these cabs - I am going to build a 'to Zilch' build of the 'high power pro' e-waves that will sit on a pair of B380 clones. I have spent many hours searching but can't seem to find the porting info on these.
    Thanks
    Steve
    The woofers should arrive Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

First i want to thank you for your patience. I'm still learning on how to use PCD and how to make xovers.

It is not the price of components that i was worried about (they are fairly cheap). I've seen quite a bit of speakers that had few kilos of xovers but sounded bad.

Few bad experiences led me to believe that any speaker that has too much components on the xover will sound bad.

I trust you on this one and i agree with you in almost everything you've wrote in this post. I am aware of QSC supremacy over this WG but i could not find it anywhere in Serbia. I was looking for JBL PT-F95 or QSC-HPR152i but zilch

Thanks again Pete. I will use xover you suggested to me and then post some pictures and listening impressions. If nothing else, i hope that i influenced some of the guys, that are lurking, to activate little with their own ideas :D

Regards, Zvuchniak ...
    Well, you could go with a much simplified XO, and then smooth the result with active EQ.

Leave a comment:

• Zvuchniak
    replied

Those notch filters are cheap. And they do the job of forcing the correct response from the tweeter to get LR4 acoustic.

With only two components, the woofer is following an almost ideal LR4 slope. The tweeter/waveguide combo has some serious issues with getting that shape down to a lower frequency with a simple XO. That's why I posted the first one crossing at 2KHz.

You also mentioned problems at 2KHz. You cannot fix it in the woofer, because the problem lies in the tweeter. Without some serious EQ, there's real linearity problems with that waveguide. When you compare it to the QSC 152i waveguide, the differences are quite apparent. Without the EQ at 2KHz on the tweeter, you'll either have the peak at 2K, or the broad dip just before it. There's also the problem with the broad bump centered around 8KHz, and EQ is the only solution for that as well.

Personally, that WG would seem to better match a smaller format woofer instead of having to be forced to go lower in frequency to match a 12".

Is 11 components really all that much for a 2-way that keeps response to +-2dB?

Regards, Zvuchniak ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X