X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stgdz
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Can the dayton waveguide on the regular econo wave be used on the SR as long as the C/D is maintained? Still waiting on the 152i waveguides.

Leave a comment:

• JoMoCo
    replied
    Bandaid or Better for Cone Breakup modes?

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    Perfect example of MFGR's measurements not being accurate....an all. The Eminence graph shows NO such breakup indicated by your measurments. Thanx for al the hard work.......and saving me the trouble on the Pro-12A's
    Originally posted by dantheman View Post
    That's unfortunately why I bought the speaker--the manufacturer's graph looked good. You just can't trust them. :(

Edit: You're welcome. Sorry I didn't say it in the first place, your comment flipped my rant switch.

Dan
    Don't know if you have ditched your Pro 12A's...read your comments / data back in August (post 643-50) on the Pro 12A's breakup modes...I have noticed that some euro's are using a non drying coating on their high end coaxial LF cones that assumptively has the potential to moderate some breakup issues...as always...YMMV

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

2 x 100 in parallel is 50 Ohms.

2 x 25 in parallel is 12.5.

There are other sources for Mills having more comprehensive offerings of values available.

Get the answer with respect to how hot they get using a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with remote sensor before obsessing over this. Run the wire in through the port.

Blast the sucker for a couple of hours to reach steady state thermal equilibrium.... ;)
    Last edited by Zilch; 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pypes
    replied

I'd like to use these the 20w resistors here at PE in quads like you suggest, but there isn't a 12.5 ohm or 50 ohm resistor in that wattage series. Is there a different combination of 4 that I could use to get that value?

Alternately, I've looked at the 50w mills from partsconnection as it would be easier to fit 4 resistors as is than to fit 16... Same issue, however, as there is a lack of a 12.5 ohm piece. There is, in this option, a 12ohm. Would that be an acceptable substitute? I'm not sure how much of an affect that .5 ohm has.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

Originally posted by stgdz View Post
    Zilch, what was the cross point on the 10e build?
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...89#post1647589
    was it 2200 or 2100?
    2144 Hz, according to the XO measurement plot legend....

Leave a comment:

• pypes
    replied

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
    The question is how hot they get running them SR. Wayne uses quads in series/parallel configuration to increase the dissipation capabilities under those conditions, but there remain limits to how much heat builds up within the box. Ultimately, if required, you mount aluminum surrounded ones on the outside of the box on a heat sink for ultimate high-power operation....
    Okay, thanks for the info. I just ordered the parts straight off your list and didn't think about it until after that I may need higher power handling abilities because of the use.

Leave a comment:

• stgdz
    replied

my 2150's have 25watt resistors in them and QSC rates it up to 500w with bursts to a 1000. Course the caps are 200v.

What's funny is how small the connecting wires are to the speakers, I would hazzard a guess that they are about 16-18 gauge. I though the wires would be a lot larger.

Zilch, what was the cross point on the 10e build?
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...89#post1647589
    was it 2200 or 2100?

oh durr, now I see it thanks to zilch pointing it out.
    Last edited by stgdz; 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

The question is how hot they get running them SR. Wayne uses quads in series/parallel configuration to increase the dissipation capabilities under those conditions, but there remain limits to how much heat builds up within the box. Ultimately, if required, you mount aluminum surrounded ones on the outside of the box on a heat sink for ultimate high-power operation....

Leave a comment:

• pypes
    replied

I recently built the SR compact version for a local musician friend of mine. Well, rather I modified some monitor cabinets he had into the SR compacts... They sound great and he is very pleased, but I'm mildly concerned about the long term power handling of the crossover resistors as I don't know that much about the way they work. The speaker takes a few hundred watts of possible input power yet there are resistors in the crossover only rated at 10w. Could there be a potential thermal issue due to that?

Leave a comment:

• donprice
    replied

...I am merely an enabler.
    Enabler is about right. I need more eWave. After a couple of beers I think about building them for relatives that I see about once a decade. Or maybe I need a pair for the bedroom where I don't listen to music. Oh...the garage...yeah, I gave away my garage speakers (JBL L36) so I got to replace those. And my twin brother has a bose system with the tiny satellites that are about 2.5" square... :eek:

Carry on Mr. Z! :D

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied

Is that a planar? Looks like the "Apex Jr." planar tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

No. I'll just move the entire HF down, basically. Try 20 Ohms directly across the driver maybe. Use a spike-killer notch to tame it, otherwise....

Leave a comment:

• stgdz
    replied

Zilch,

Can a L-pad be used to tame the rise at the top end for my speakers that I built?

I eq'd it down after this graph but I am just curious about the l-pad and how it functions.

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied

How 'bout I forward my PM Inboxes to you.... :p
    Know the feeling. I get a lot of questions about my articles as well, somewhat interesting is that I got more interest in my first article a decade ago (The "love kitten") than any subsequent.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

Originally posted by badman View Post
    Not really what I was asking... was hoping for an extra datapoint, I'm a practiced designer in my own right. I first mentioned the horn in the context of Econowave, about a year ago....
    How 'bout I forward my PM Inboxes to you.... :p

Leave a comment:

Working...
X