Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Well, I reset the targets and took another shot at it. I still have more components than you, mainly to take care of that resonance and give the woofer a smoother roll off. 4 on the woofer, 5 on the tweeter to do some shaping as well.[/IMG]
    We are very close, and have arrived at the same topology, looks like, as I'm 5 on the tweeter, not 4. I have PM'd you my values.

The speaker is upside-down in the pic for convenience in measuring, though it should work either way. When I said forward axis "above" the midpoint between drivers, I meant between there and the waveguide, actually. Sorry for that confusion.

Interestingly, there's a current thread about speakers for a HS bandroom. In that installation, they'd be mounted as in the pic, up high, with the forward axis aimed slightly downward.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=215547

If we can tame it, DC300-8 appears to be a capable low-cost performer:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...34#post1600434

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
      We are very close, and have arrived at the same topology, looks like, as I'm 5 on the tweeter, not 4. I have PM'd you my values.

The speaker is upside-down in the pic for convenience in measuring, though it should work either way. When I said forward axis "above" the midpoint between drivers, I meant between there and the waveguide, actually. Sorry for that confusion.

Interestingly, there's a current thread about speakers for a HS bandroom. In that installation, they'd be mounted as in the pic, up high, with the forward axis aimed slightly downward.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=215547

If we can tame it, DC300-8 appears to be a capable low-cost performer:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...34#post1600434
      Why not go for the gusto and use a 12" pro woofer? This beast can handle the range nicely, and it's 6dB more sensitive. :D

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Why not go for the gusto and use a 12" pro woofer? This beast can handle the range nicely, and it's 6dB more sensitive. :D
        I have Kappalite 3012LFs coming for another variant. Is that what you're showing above?

With assist, those'll do 114 dB @ 30 Hz in these cabs.

[Better use Gorilla Glue to build 'em tho.... :p ]

Comment

Augerpro's measurements of this waveguide are posted here:

http://sites.google.com/site/driverv...-jbl-knock-off

The polars were taken using DE250 and a throat adapter with no highpass filter:

Horizontal:

http://493531664873718246-a-18027447...attredirects=0

Vertical:

http://493531664873718246-a-18027447...attredirects=0

It's beginning to lose vertical pattern control at 3 kHz, still usable at 2 kHz, but below that, we're relying upon the vertical nulls to augment the pattern per the teachings of Pi-Speakers' Wayne Parham. The horizontals reach nearly an octave lower with equivalent control. Load in separate tabs and click between them to view the difference in directivity....

Comment

Here's mine:

Attached Files
            Last edited by Zilch; 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Driver Alignments in KD Trap Cab:

DC300 rear mount & D2500Ti on standard eWaveguide front mounted:

Kappalite 3012LF rear mount & DE250 on QSC waveguide front mounted:

[Please excuse the dust.... ;) ]
              Attached Files

Comment

Flex It, Round Two:

KappaLite 3012LF and B&C DE250 on QSC 152i waveguide:

I have provided an FRD of both drivers concurrently from the midpoint between them (10.5" c/c distance) for finding the acoustic offsets per the method of Ralph:

http://www.speakerdesign.net/sbarticle.html

See driver alignment pic in previous post.

What I've got:

Attached Files
                Last edited by Zilch; 02-26-2010, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Re: Flex It, Round Two:

KappaLite 3012LF and DE250 on QSC 152i waveguide:

I have provided an FRD of both drivers concurrently from the midpoint between them (10.5" c/c distance) for finding the acoustic offsets per the method of Ralph:

http://www.speakerdesign.net/sbarticle.html

See driver alignment pic in previous post.

What I've got:

Looks a little "hot" around 1-2KHz. Can you begin the tweeter roll off just a tad sooner to help bring down that peaking?
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18127203

The wavelength at 1.5 kHz is 9.04" by my calc, so we're operating in the region between 1 and 1.5 lambda there....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Regenerated FRDs from one axis, midpoint between the woofer and waveguide, @ 44" measuring distance.

[WHAT, no dancing banana...? :p ]
                      Attached Files

Comment

Reworking the crossover from the new data, I was able to eliminate a couple of parts, but it still has some excess energy at 2 kHz:

Key to the vertical polar map:

Red = Forward Axis
                        Up toward waveguide = Org, Yel, Gry, Lt. Gry
                        Down toward woofer = Grn, Blu, Vio, Cyn
                        Attached Files

Comment

Reworking the crossover from the new data, I was able to eliminate a couple of parts, but it still has some excess energy at 2 kHz:

I'd like to play with them. Do your FRD files already include relative acoustic offset?

Comment

I'd like to play with them. Do your FRD files already include relative acoustic offset?
                            The new set of FRDs was taken from a single point in space, at the midpoint between the drivers and on axis horizontally, so the responses would include the relative offsets.

They include minimum phase. I don't know how CLIO calcs that, but I did not alter the time window.

I also provided the same measurement for the two drivers combined, from which the relative offsets may be derived by matching the response with no filters.

I did that, and came up with a crossover having a beautiful response curve and phase behavior. I built it up, measured the response, and it had a perfect inverse notch at the design axis, which I take to mean that the correct offsets should be derived with the HF polarity inverted.... :p

Comment

The new set of FRDs was taken from a single point in space, at the midpoint between the drivers and on the horizontal axis, so the responses would include the relative offsets.

They include minimum phase. I don't know how CLIO calcs that, but I did not alter the time window.

I also provided the same measurement for the two drivers combined, from which the relative offsets may be derived by matching the response with no filters.

I did that, and came up with a crossover having a beautiful response curve and phase behavior. I built it up, measured the response, and it had a perfect inverse notch at the design axis, which I take to mean that the correct offsets should be derived with the HF polarity inverted.... :p
                              If it includes minimum phase, then relative offsets are not included, but could be derived by adjusting the individual offsets until the summed response matches the measured combined response. From what I can see, the tweeter is behind the woofer about 2.5" in order to get the result you measured for the raw combined response.

Comment

If it includes minimum phase, then relative offsets are not included, but could be derived by adjusting the individual offsets until the summed response matches the measured combined response. From what I can see, the tweeter is behind the woofer about 2.5" in order to get the result you measured for the raw combined response.
                                Yes, and I got the same result, ~60 mm, which is consistent with the actual physical alignment:

Comment

Working...
                                X