• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zilch
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Originally posted by djnagle View Post
    Would you recommend just using the crossover you posted for that WG?
    Your gig, bud. It's a start....

Leave a comment:

• djnagle
    replied

Thanks Z. They might be my main speakers in a couple months. No work for 8 months now and just signed the house back over to the back. We have 6 months to get out. If we end up in an apartment, they will be it.

Would you recomment just using the crossover you posted for that WG?

Edit: is there a better WG that you would recommend for that space? I have 7" x 5.25" to work with with no trimming.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

FAT™ coaxes an additional 2.5 dB out of them, which may get this combo to 94 dB.

I don't see any issues, either, thus far; if K6.5 works, these will too.

[They're gonna rock, looks like.... :D ]

Leave a comment:

• Skywave-Rider
    replied

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
    I can't quite fit pairs of 226J in the Dayton MTM-0.75 along with the 6" square waveguide but the K6.5 buyouts squeeze in nicely. Thus, for S-6.5 I've ordered up a pair of these squircle B&Cs:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=294-647
    The spec'ed response of the B&C 6NDL44 shows really good extension and to my untrained eye, minimal breakup. The bottom end response looks ideal for a 2.5 way, though the spec sheet doesn't say anything about the test box.

The basket looks really strong. Now I want those...LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

You're just going to have to try it, Dennis.

Since you use those nearfield, I don't think there's any detriment to the narrower dispersion of the little Selenium waveguide in your application.

Originally posted by stgdz View Post
    yeoch that celestion isn't cheap.
    Shop around a bit further, and you'll find it just under $100 street price.

Soon as you move up from D220Ti, in neodymium, especially, you get to this level pretty quickly....

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

I can't quite fit pairs of 226J in the Dayton MTM-0.75 along with the 6" square waveguide but the K6.5 buyouts squeeze in nicely. Thus, for S-6.5 I've ordered up a pair of these squircle B&Cs:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=294-647

I want to make FAT™ happen here, now that PCD has shown how.

Those'll also fit with the 6" waveguide in TW-0.38 for a truly diminutive (Indignia-size) package....

Leave a comment:

• djnagle
    replied

Maybe this is a better place to post this project and question. I have been thinking about eWaving my Best Buy Insignias. First thought about using the 6x6" JBL WG but it was just a tad to big. I could make it fit, but it would take a lot of trimming. Then I saw Zilch's project using the Selenium HM17-25 and that WG would not need trimming to fit.

So below is a pix of the Insignia and an FR for the woofer only.

How do all think this would work out sound wise? I know I can build it, but would like to get some opinions as to the match up between the woof and WG.

Leave a comment:

• stgdz
    replied

yeoch that celestion isn't cheap
    http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip.../T5486-D.xhtml

that cabinet looks soo purty though

Leave a comment:

• Skywave-Rider
    replied

Too cool!
    It looks so good I am considering giving up my mini 4430 project and going with the taller cabs for 2.5 way. They really look sweet, Zilch.

Clearly, you like the Celestions. Can't hide that. :p

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied
    EconoWave Mini S-6 - First Listen

Y'all know I don't do "How's it sound?" and I'm certainly not into hype, but in the course of gathering .frd and .zma data last night, I couldn't resist hooking it up to the prototype crossover sitting on the test stand from the previous S-8 builds for a quick listen.

OH, MAN! The big boys with custom drivers in their arsenal certainly know how to make this happen. I put Celestion CDX1-1731 on the little 6" square waveguide, dialed the L-pad flat within +/- 2.5 dB, and now can't wait to get this little guy into PCD and optimized....

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

The entire drill's about enabling others to do cool stuff with the concepts here. I'm always pleased to see DIYers running with what I detail, but it's just as gratifying watching others explore their own approaches, as well, having broken down the barriers, kicked open the gates, and pushed them through....

Leave a comment:

• Flacjunky
    replied

Good job Zilch.

Although your timing is slightly less than optimal. :p

Dang it.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
    Damn, that's pretty.
    Even nicer in the Dayton curved-side cabs (I have a piano black pair), but we've certainly moved up a notch or two from roadkill here.... :D

Leave a comment:

• Brian Steele
    replied

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
    While that may be workable, no, this is up next here:

Damn, that's pretty.

Leave a comment:

• Zilch
    replied
    Last edited by Zilch; 12-13-2010, 09:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X