Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
    The new set of FRDs was taken from a single point in space, at the midpoint between the drivers and on axis horizontally, so the responses would include the relative offsets.

They include minimum phase. I don't know how CLIO calcs that, but I did not alter the time window.

I also provided the same measurement for the two drivers combined, from which the relative offsets may be derived by matching the response with no filters.

I did that, and came up with a crossover having a beautiful response curve and phase behavior. I built it up, measured the response, and it had a perfect inverse notch at the design axis, which I take to mean that the correct offsets should be derived with the HF polarity inverted.... :p
    I took those individual curves and applied the offsets based on the PCD summed and measured summed response. I set the woofer forward of the tweeter by 60mm and the woofer .125 meter below center and the tweeter .125 meter above center.

L2 = 4.5mH .3 Ohm
    C2 = 12uF

C9 = 5.6uF
    R10 = 4.7 Ohm
    R16 = 2.7 Ohm

The forward lobe looks very good, especially moving toward and above the tweeter position. the overlay is 45 deg above center point.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Here's the Geddes topology for the equivalent design; we don't know the component values:

Attached Files

Comment

Here's the Geddes topology for the equivalent design; we don't know the component values:

My 5 components looks a little simpler.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

L2 = 4.5mH .3 Ohm
          C2 = 12uF

C9 = 5.6uF
          R10 = 4.7 Ohm
          R16 = 2.7 Ohm
          Give me a couple of minutes to build it up here.

[Gotta put some shoes on.... :p ]

Comment

My 5 components looks a little simpler.

And it is a most EXCELLENT one; the forward axis is right where we want it to be!

I'll run the vertical polar map to verify....

Notes:

1) HF polarity inverted.

2) Red = Zilch's design.

3) Lower L2 to 4.0 mH, maybe?
            Attached Files

Comment

And it is a most EXCELLENT one; the forward axis is right where we want it to be!

I'll run the vertical polar map to verify....

Notes:

1) HF polarity inverted.

2) Red = Zilch's design.

3) Lower L2 to 4.0 mH, maybe?
              It's easy to play with the main inductor value. Smaller will raise the mid levels a bit (less BSC), so blending the tweeter may be necessary. Tweaking the tweeter level is simply a matter of playing around with the shunt resistor. the benefit of keeping it small means that maintaining a first order response to compliment the waveguide is very easy to do with just a single cap. If you lower the inductor to 4mH, raise the shunt resistor to 3 Ohm, maybe 3.3.

Comment

Thank you, Pete; I'm callin' it "Done."
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, Pete; I'm callin' it "Done."
                  I am looking forward to your detailed listening impressions and write up on the cabinet construction.

I'm amazed at what 5 components and the right drivers can do.

Comment

And when you say Geddes topology for the equivalent design, do you mean the same drivers and waveguide????

Comment

That's the crossover for the Geddes Abbey design, which uses the same B&C DE250-8 compression driver on a 12" round Geddes axisymmetric waveguide with B&C 12DBX100 12" woofer. I'm using the KappaLite 3012LF because it can accept a Q=2 assist at 30 Hz to make extended bass in this small cabinet. Used with sub(s) in HT or for SR, they don't need that, of course....

Comment

That's the crossover for the Geddes Abbey design, which uses the same B&C DE250-8 compression driver on a 12" round Geddes axisymmetric waveguide with B&C 12DBX100 12" woofer. I'm using the KappaLite 3012LF because it can accept a Q=2 assist at 30 Hz to make extended bass in this small cabinet. Used with sub(s) in HT or for SR, they don't need that, of course....
                        Geddes sure uses a lot of real estate for a crossover.
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I am looking forward to your detailed listening impressions and write up on the cabinet construction.

I'm amazed at what 5 components and the right drivers can do.
                          The cabs are here:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-325

Your crossover just made these slam-dunk simple to build....

Comment

The cabs are here:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-325

Your crossover just made these slam-dunk simple to build....
                            Well how cool is that?

Are you adding internal bracing? Damping material? Owens corning 703, 705?

Comment

Well how cool is that?

Are you adding internal bracing? Damping material? Owens corning 703, 705?
                              They could certainly use a cross brace, tied to the rear panel as well, probably.

I just lined the walls with R-13, which adds up to "heavy fill" by some standards. These probably deserve some attention to details by others. I'm vectored toward getting a second one built and running tomorrow.

There's two 2" x 10" ports cut in the back with elbows. They run up alongside the woofer magnets inside. I think they're 10", anyway; you can see they're tuned ~30 Hz in the impedance plots. They'd fit on the front baffle, probably, but I want to roundover the woofer opening, so it should be mounted with clamps on the rear, probably. I suppose the clamps could be laid out so as not to interfere with front ports in the lower corners.

Comment

They could certainly use a cross brace, tied to the rear panel as well, probably.

I just lined the walls with R-13, which adds up to "heavy fill" by some standards. These probably deserve some attention to details by others. I'm vectored toward getting a second one built and running tomorrow.

There's two 2" x 10" ports cut in the back with elbows. They run up alongside the woofer magnets inside. I think they're 10", anyway; you can see they're tuned ~30 Hz in the impedance plots. They'd fit on the front baffle, probably, but I want to roundover the woofer opening, so it should be mounted with clamps on the rear, probably. I suppose the clamps could be laid out so as not to interfere with front ports in the lower corners.
                                I wonder if anyone is bringing an Econowave to InDIYana?

Comment

Working...
                                X