replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Nicely done, Sir!

Leave a comment:

• FireCloud
    replied

I just built the EconoWave Mini S-8:

They sound GREAT. The efficiency, power handling, clarity and detail just blow away anything I've ever built using "home-audio" drivers. I should have done this a long time ago.

It's nice to be able to play my music really loud and not worry that I'm pushing the limits of my speakers.

Thank you Zilch. RIP

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571 33.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1153776

Leave a comment:

• buzzforb
    replied

DAn,
    Here are some polars I found for the HF94 and Hf96 by RCF. Both look really good, with the 94 loadnig easily down to 1K. What advantages do the PT waveguide and QSC152i hold over these. I know both are wider than the RCF version, but the polar responses look very similar. I guess this is getting into theory and why a wider waveguide is better if they seem to perform in a similar manner to the RCF square waveguides. Both the RCF guides are aluminum and seem to be very well made.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rcf-hf94.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1153088Click image for larger version

Name:	rcf-hf96.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1153089

Leave a comment:

• buzzforb
    replied

Dan,
    Here is the sims for the TQWT for the PR300. Not super low, but pretty respectable for a HE 12". The TD12S and H will do better, but sacrifice some effciency. THe size will put it somewhat smaller than a JBL s4700 when horn is included in overall height. THis one should be in 36" range with midpoint between woofer and horn sitting about 30-32" off the ground.

I have looked at the HF107 from Faital. Tried for a long time to find a 1.4" for the HF146, but cant seem to find something that works as well as the 1" horn offerings. THe HF106 is the newer version of the 107 and looks to have better response, but these are manufacturer datasheets and you never can tell. I dont really like the impedance performance of either. Even with current driver amp, I wonder what difficulty that will create. The HF94 horn from RCF looks interesting for the HF146, but it not a 90 x 40. Us Speaker rep swears by the Radian 745NeoPb as being the best choice for 1.4" drivers. Oh well. As I understand it, the reason for the 40degree choice is to limit floor and ceiling interaction. I know Geddes and others think this is not an issue, but it makes sense that by narrowing the vertical response, you could eliminate some possible issues.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

Hi buzzforb,
    I'm happy with what I have, very good sound and more output than the ear can handle. Compression drivers like the 2408H that go low enough for 2way use and still retain their composure into the UHF are rare.

IF I were looking for a potential improvement it would be via a lower crossover point, hence a driver horn combo with a bit more horsepower. I like the ring radiator concept, but what I saw with the BMS was very disappointing. I'm not super excited about the 2432H either, but I know it has the ability to deal with less than optimum loading on the low end...

So looking around at what's available now vs the BMS 4555/4554 spec sheets I think that I would investigate the Faital HF107. The HF107 is also 1.75" coil ring radiator and I think it would be worth a shot with the H290C, no kludgy driver throat like the BMS.

I'll be really interested to see your proposal for the 12PR300 cabinet, I never thought of it as a bass driver.

Leave a comment:

• buzzforb
    replied

Both drivers look really good. I might just get the 2432H new at same time as I get the Pt waveguide. Been playing with the PR300 model. It looks nice with F3 in 40-45Hz range and good looking impedance and group delay plots. Ill post them later on. I might play around with some 18's just in case i can pull it off.

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

PTWG's > round axisymmetric WG's IMO.

I think the 2432H is capable of going lower than the ring radiator on the smaller WG's you are stuck with. That discontinuity in the driver is like bolting a 1.5" driver to a 2" throat horn, there is a penalty in the top octave.

Maybe you could get by with the Econo 2408H+12PR300 version I'm currently listening to, I only saved the raw curves that I was working from, as I had decided to listen to it for a bit... Over a year ago :o.

Raw anechoic 4pi driver responses:

Leave a comment:

• buzzforb
    replied

You like them better than Seos and QSC, I assume. DO you prefer the JBL 2432H over BMS4555 simply because of the throat issue. Last annoying question. Why pr300. I have had an itch to try the Faital stuff. So new and uncharted, in a sense, but is your recommendation from first hand experience in comparison to other drivers? THe 15FH500 and 15pr400 model really well in a TQWT. PR400 will give you 99dB and 40hz F3. Add a sealed 10" or 12" to the mix and am starting to get excited. Just got to talk the wife into the box.

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

IIRC the HPR122i is a 1" throat, IMO the JBL PTWG's are much better to work with.

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied
    Re: Need help with crossover

1 interesting/disappointing thing about the 4554 and 4555 is the way the expansion is so abrupt from the bottom of the throat to the mounting flange. I want to make an insert adapter to correct the expansion but I've not had the time or motivation.

The D2 is basically two of these sandwiched, not what I think of as a coax as they are the same diaphragm and both operate over the full bandwidth. It's an interesting way to get the same displacement of the 3" (2432H) domes without the dome breakup.
    JBL bought drivers as OEM then bought the rights to produce them, ultimately they still buy drivers from BMS as they couldn't get it right. I think there are some versions of the BMS style ring radiators that are JBL "built" now.

Leave a comment:

• buzzforb
    replied

http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/Pro...s/tn_v1n31.pdf

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/spe...pr/hpr122i.htm

The 1.5" waveguide opens it up to BMS 4555, which I believe Zilch showed as being a quality unit. I wonder if BMS is not making the drivers for JBL. Jbl has a new D2 compression driver that is supposedly coaxial. Makes you wonder.

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

I'm not familiar with the QSC for the 1.4".
    Having the the monitor + LFE setup was best for my needs. IMO not chasing bass with the midrange keeps things clean in the same way that not going below 2kHz on the small format WG/CD combo's work, go to far and Tina Turner magically appears LOL. Don't get me wrong I like my EconoWave WG with JBL 2408h, but the crossover is ~1.8kHz IIRC, to me it is a BANG for the buck win, and I know the limitations, hence the recommendations. I found the WG at Jacks, no #'s on these new parts yet. 2432's and 2408's are there too...

Leave a comment:

• buzzforb
    replied

I have size constraint. Built 25 x 23 x 42 TQWT with Altec 416's and it sounded great. Just too big. Really trying to stay within JBL 4700 size range, as this seems to fit the room both acoustically and aesthetically. I may later add subs for down low, but with F3 in 40-45Hz range, these boxes should be plenty, in room. What is the part number on the JBL 1.5" waveguide? I have the QSC OS waveguide that mates to a 1.4" compression driver. It seems more suited for 10" mid bass, which was part of the original thought that does not look like its going to work.

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• buzzforb
    replied

I modeled the pr300 in the same cabinet and it performs in a very similar fashion. Why the jbl waveguide over the Seos? Just to use a larger compression driver? I had looked into jbl like 4345 with 10" mid bass and 18" woofer, but couldn't get the misses to bite. The MLTL let's me extend the response of the 12" woofers in a reasonable way with minimal acoustic affects and EQ. 15" woofers are appealing, but pushing th above 750hz is a bad idea, no matter the selection, IMO.

Sorry about the Le Claude typo:D Stupid phone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X