Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

    Originally posted by penngray View Post
    PI, I will hold a pair or two just for you ;)
    Cool! Let me know when you are ready to let go of them.

    Comment


    • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

      Someone on DIYaudio.com posted something interesting.

      Why hasn't Dayton made an OS waveguide, If people are serious about asking Dayton to get the QSC waveguide why not just go right to the "ultimate" waveguide shape and create a 12" and 15" OS waveguide??

      Im on a group buy list for these speakers boxes which has a 12" OS Waveguide ($800/pair)




      The guy has a group buy on DIYaudio.com and he is selling OS Waveguides too but he does this stuff in Europe so shipping, exchange rates are getting expensive.
      http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post2359848

      I think his 12" OS Waveguides alone are $70 + shipping if you buy 6.

      Comment


      • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

        Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
        Cool! Let me know when you are ready to let go of them.
        No problem, If I can get the OS waveguides in I will be selling all my QSC waveguides.

        Comment


        • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

          What should the optimum height of the EconoWave Deluxe speaker be?

          I have bass bins Im almost finished for these waveguide designs and I want to know what the tweeter height should be in room. I might have to build some new boxes for the main speaker so I can get the exact height.

          Comment


          • http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...79#post1626379

            Verify....

            Comment


            • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

              Zilch,
              I am building the first Econowave and I have questions about what was done to the baffle to round it off in front off the 12" woofer. My second question has to do with venting. I thought I saw something about 2 vents that were 10" long but now I cannot find that part. Can you clear this up for me?
              Thanks,
              Howard

              Comment


              • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

                I've ordered some equipment that might allow me to make those waveguides using wood. I won't have time to try it out for about 2 weeks though, but I'm hoping that it works. They will be more expensive than plastic, but I might also be able to integrate the waveguide directly on the front baffle with no seams.

                I'll keep you guys posted.

                Comment


                • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

                  Eric H, did you ever get any moldings done for a baffle with the QSC in it?

                  I could make a baffle up with the QSC HPR152i with a 12" woofer roundover (1 1/4" looks REALLY nice, like Augerpro's) for a rear mounted woofer and ship it to you. Could you make a mold with that?

                  I also remember Ed Lafountain having a nice throat adapter, I think I saw it on DIYaudio.com

                  Do not send me a PM on AVS this week ;)

                  Comment


                  • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

                    Originally posted by howard View Post
                    Zilch,
                    I am building the first Econowave and I have questions about what was done to the baffle to round it off in front off the 12" woofer. My second question has to do with venting. I thought I saw something about 2 vents that were 10" long but now I cannot find that part. Can you clear this up for me?
                    That's a 3/4" roundover done with a router. We double-back taped a pattern having the same 11" hole diameter to the rear of the baffle to guide the bit.

                    The EconoWave Standard prototype has two elbowed 2" ports at ~9.5" length; I was aiming for a 30 Hz tuning. The actual tuning varies with the forward location of the baffle and consequential variation of the internal volume. Mayhem can probably come up with more optimum tunings for DC300 in 1.65, 1.80, and 2.00 cuft. volumes for us here....

                    70004/968=72.3182
                    Last edited by Zilch; 11-16-2010, 04:03 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

                      Originally posted by penngray View Post
                      Eric H, did you ever get any moldings done for a baffle with the QSC in it?

                      I could make a baffle up with the QSC HPR152i with a 12" woofer roundover (1 1/4" looks REALLY nice, like Augerpro's) for a rear mounted woofer and ship it to you. Could you make a mold with that?

                      I also remember Ed Lafountain having a nice throat adapter, I think I saw it on DIYaudio.com

                      Do not send me a PM on AVS this week ;)
                      I was going to make the entire baffle but wasn't sure how much of a demand there would be. But I think there's now a demand for just the actual waveguide portion. So I'll order a few things this week and see what I can come up with. The problem is that I doubt I could make one for under $25. I know that QSC raised the current price to $15 or so, but still.

                      The ones I make would likely be a thicker material which would be better, but I don't know what people would spend on such an item. I could possibly make them different colors if people wanted that. Let me try it out.

                      Eventually, if there was a demand, I thought about making the entire baffle and waveguide in one piece out of wood. But I'm guessing that would take the pricing up around $100 or so. I won't know the time involved until I get the equipment set up.


                      If anyone wants to help figure the "perfect" setup, I'm all ears. That would make the most sense because it would cut down on tooling costs and the materials needed to make multiple designs. If that means putting a different throat adapter on a nice waveguide, then I can give it a shot. It just seems that the QSC unit is the most preferred. Designing the entire front baffle as one piece would really help people out.

                      I'll have much more time to work on the project once this week is over, but I'm almost ready to go with it.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

                        The waveguide as an entire baffle would make the finish so much nicer. IMO.

                        The only part I do not understand is how to get the backing created to mount CDs properly.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

                          Originally posted by penngray View Post
                          The waveguide as an entire baffle would make the finish so much nicer. IMO.

                          The only part I do not understand is how to get the backing created to mount CDs properly.
                          The back of the QSC waveguide is pretty much just a flat plate, so that wouldn't be a problem. The screw in types would be slightly more tricky, but I think they make adapters. With some experimenting, I'm sure I could figure it out.

                          As mentioned, the entire baffle would be what I'd like to build, but unless it's made out of wood, it could get too expensive. As you know, resins, fiberglass, etc are much more expensive than wood.

                          Comment


                          • Home Theater "Delite 12"



                            http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19498466
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Zilch; 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

                              Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                              The back of the QSC waveguide is pretty much just a flat plate, so that wouldn't be a problem. The screw in types would be slightly more tricky, but I think they make adapters. With some experimenting, I'm sure I could figure it out.

                              As mentioned, the entire baffle would be what I'd like to build, but unless it's made out of wood, it could get too expensive. As you know, resins, fiberglass, etc are much more expensive than wood.
                              but is it even possible to build a mold then use that to build wooden baffles?

                              Atleast if we had a quality mother mold we could do simple fibreglass baffles, I would do a carbon fiber one though.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

                                Originally posted by penngray View Post
                                but is it even possible to build a mold then use that to build wooden baffles?
                                Yes
                                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                                95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X