Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

New player in the game - dipolar snap-in waveguide for AMT. Watch Joachim Gerhard work on G-poles.
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok, sorry to get a teensy bit off topic, but now that I've installed a new W7 compatible DVD drive, and then Windows Office, which has allowed me to run PCD...

I'm having a wee bit of trouble generating a .zma with the response modeler portion. Attached is a screenshot of the spreadsheet 'in action'. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me a bonk on the head and let me know what I'm screwing up. Thanks!

In the meantime I'll just need to play with the tweeter :p.
      Attached Files

Comment

OT: I'm flexing my HolmIpulse mettle (or lack thereof) below.

My son is going to help me get PCD up and going sometime soon.

Speaker: SUB (2-15" Clamshell design), MID (B&C 10PS26) and TWEET (B&C DE250)

All together @ 2M:

SUB alone @ 2M:

MID alone @ 2M:

TWEET alone @2M:

MID and TWEET @ 2M:

I have lots of reflections and comb filtering going on in my echo chamber of a room.

Taking measurements at 1M and 1 foot look better with many fewer suck outs and peaks.

Subjectively it sounds really good with all the many imperfections.
        When I listen up close at about 2 feet the sound is very smooth.

Lots of work to do to improve it.

Any comments?

Comment

bruson,
          Have you tried inverting the polarity on the sub and measured?

I think that would be useful to A/B but at or near the listening position. Don't know if that is 2m.

I think it looks pretty good so far for a real world listening room.
          http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/bu...html?src=busln

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_new_york_metro_46/

Comment

Originally posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
            bruson,
            Have you tried inverting the polarity on the sub and measured?

I think that would be useful to A/B but at or near the listening position. Don't know if that is 2m.

I think it looks pretty good so far for a real world listening room.
            Sub reverse polarity:

Normal Polarity:

All from my sitting position about 9 feet away.

With a simple polarity change, without touching the mic a lot of things changed.
            I'm using the Dayton EMM6 mic and a Behringer Xenyx 502 pre.
            Are they that sensitive?
            I noticed when I move the mc 1/2 inch to an 1 inch lots of big changes happen. It can make my measurements lot OK or terrible.

Is there a better way?

Comment

ONE speaker at a time, unless the mic is precisely (within 1/8") on the acoustic center between them.

Are you doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
                ONE speaker at a time, unless the mic is precisely (within 1/8") on the acoustic center between them.

Are you doing that?
                I am using only one speaker at a time. And the sub. No change except for the polarity on the sub.

Wild disparities happened multiple times at different measurements. Sometimes a huge midrange suck out, sometimes the tweeter rolled off steeply at 5K. Wacky. Or my inexperience is showing. Maybe something is intermittent and I haven't tracked it down yet. So I show the good readings not the great readings, too unbelievable. I also don't show the really fantasy crappy readings. I hope I figure it out soon.

My sub FR may look a little goosed because with 2 main speakers playing I think they add about 3db to all frequencies above 100hz. I may end up with reversed polarity when I go back to 2 main speakers so it adds a bit more bass for taste.

Comment

Hey Zilch,

Has anyone used the Eminence Beta 12LTA?

Thanks.

Comment

If you can't replicate the results, excepting maybe for very LF when a truck rumbles by, then you have issues. I had that problem measuring in SoundEasy. So I gave up on that and went with different measuring software. If you don't change anything, and you're getting variable results, you might have some software problems as I did, or maybe intermittent switching in your system.
                    PS, get behind the mic and don't move around when measuring. : )

Originally posted by bruson View Post
                    I am using only one speaker at a time. And the sub. No change except for the polarity on the sub.

Wild disparities happened multiple times at different measurements. Sometimes a huge midrange suck out, sometimes the tweeter rolled off steeply at 5K. Wacky. Or my inexperience is showing. Maybe something is intermittent and I haven't tracked it down yet. So I show the good readings not the great readings, too unbelievable. I also don't show the really fantasy crappy readings. I hope I figure it out soon.

My sub FR may look a little goosed because with 2 main speakers playing I think they add about 3db to all frequencies above 100hz. I may end up with reversed polarity when I go back to 2 main speakers so it adds a bit more bass for taste.

Comment

Particularly if you're using a laptop, try disabling the Wifi and Bluetooth adaptors in it. The drivers in some of them can cause all sorts of interference and stuttering in audio streams.
                      Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
                      SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
                      Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Comment

Will this thread never die? The horse is dead, it's bones are fossilized...

Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                        "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                        Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                          Will this thread never die? The horse is dead, it's bones are fossilized...
                          Not Yet! I wanna see how the views column handles 100,00...:p

Comment

Great thread.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Skywave-Rider:
                              Originally posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
                              If you can't replicate the results, excepting maybe for very LF when a truck rumbles by, then you have issues. I had that problem measuring in SoundEasy. So I gave up on that and went with different measuring software. If you don't change anything, and you're getting variable results, you might have some software problems as I did, or maybe intermittent switching in your system.
                              PS, get behind the mic and don't move around when measuring. : )

bwaslo:
                              Particularly if you're using a laptop, try disabling the Wifi and Bluetooth adaptors in it. The drivers in some of them can cause all sorts of interference and stuttering in audio streams.
                              ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I learned not to move around except to move my finger to click the mouse!
                              Still got highly variable readings.

So I think the software idea and bwaslo's idea of disabling things will be tried next.

I think I had too many other programs running at the same time. I'll try just Holmimpulse alone and see if I get better results.

Thanks!

Also played around with one third octave smoothing and my FR looks good enough for marketing purposes! What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by rudyjakubin View Post
                                Not Yet! I wanna see how the views column handles 100,000...:p
                                We are pikers here; the main thread on AK is pushing a million views for its third anniversary. :D

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                                Will this thread never die? The horse is dead, it's bones are fossilized....
                                Congratulations!! You scored Post #1001 -- thank you for your contribution. ;)

This thread is alive and well; hundreds of DIYers all over the world are designing and building EconoWaves according to the precepts documented here. Its role as a reference resource is reflected in the view count.

[There are at least three Mini-Ewaves that'll be migrating into "prime time" here shortly.... ]

Comment

Working...
                                X