Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

my 2150's have 25watt resistors in them and QSC rates it up to 500w with bursts to a 1000. Course the caps are 200v.

What's funny is how small the connecting wires are to the speakers, I would hazzard a guess that they are about 16-18 gauge. I though the wires would be a lot larger.

Zilch, what was the cross point on the 10e build?
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...89#post1647589
    was it 2200 or 2100?

oh durr, now I see it thanks to zilch pointing it out.
    Last edited by stgdz; 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM.
    My simple speaker project
    My simple subwoofer project

The Inlaws Hometheater

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
      The question is how hot they get running them SR. Wayne uses quads in series/parallel configuration to increase the dissipation capabilities under those conditions, but there remain limits to how much heat builds up within the box. Ultimately, if required, you mount aluminum surrounded ones on the outside of the box on a heat sink for ultimate high-power operation....
      Okay, thanks for the info. I just ordered the parts straight off your list and didn't think about it until after that I may need higher power handling abilities because of the use.

Comment

Originally posted by stgdz View Post
        Zilch, what was the cross point on the 10e build?
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...89#post1647589
        was it 2200 or 2100?
        2144 Hz, according to the XO measurement plot legend....

Comment

I'd like to use these the 20w resistors here at PE in quads like you suggest, but there isn't a 12.5 ohm or 50 ohm resistor in that wattage series. Is there a different combination of 4 that I could use to get that value?

Alternately, I've looked at the 50w mills from partsconnection as it would be easier to fit 4 resistors as is than to fit 16... Same issue, however, as there is a lack of a 12.5 ohm piece. There is, in this option, a 12ohm. Would that be an acceptable substitute? I'm not sure how much of an affect that .5 ohm has.

Comment

2 x 100 in parallel is 50 Ohms.

2 x 25 in parallel is 12.5.

There are other sources for Mills having more comprehensive offerings of values available.

Get the answer with respect to how hot they get using a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with remote sensor before obsessing over this. Run the wire in through the port.

Blast the sucker for a couple of hours to reach steady state thermal equilibrium.... ;)
            Last edited by Zilch; 12-21-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Bandaid or Better for Cone Breakup modes?

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
              Perfect example of MFGR's measurements not being accurate....an all. The Eminence graph shows NO such breakup indicated by your measurments. Thanx for al the hard work.......and saving me the trouble on the Pro-12A's
              Originally posted by dantheman View Post
              That's unfortunately why I bought the speaker--the manufacturer's graph looked good. You just can't trust them. :(

Edit: You're welcome. Sorry I didn't say it in the first place, your comment flipped my rant switch.

Dan
              Don't know if you have ditched your Pro 12A's...read your comments / data back in August (post 643-50) on the Pro 12A's breakup modes...I have noticed that some euro's are using a non drying coating on their high end coaxial LF cones that assumptively has the potential to moderate some breakup issues...as always...YMMV

Comment

Can the dayton waveguide on the regular econo wave be used on the SR as long as the C/D is maintained? Still waiting on the 152i waveguides.

The Inlaws Hometheater

Comment

Originally posted by stgdz View Post
                  Can the dayton waveguide on the regular econo wave be used on the SR as long as the C/D is maintained? Still waiting on the 152i waveguides.
                  That would be the SR Compact version.
                  Regards,
                  Dan

Comment

Any thoughts on the Selenium 12PW3 woofer? It's cheaper than the PA310, has lower power handling and xmax but 97 db spl @ 1w/1m. I could only find a single member on AK forums that used this combination(although I couldn't read through the rest of his posts for more details because I am still awaiting registration approval).
                    Would this driver be a suitable alternative for the PA310 or DC300?

Comment

Johnaec-design legacy SR Compact KD kit $300/pair plus shipping available in 2 - 3 weeks, including metal perf grilles. PM for details.

John's original build thread is here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...itors-Finished

Comment

2010 EconoWave Retrospective:

Early this year, I brought EconoWave to Tech Talk because it belongs here, not only because it has been firmly founded in Parts Express parts purchases for nearly 3 years, but because Jeff Bagby's PCD crossover optimization software, also based and resident here, is available as the foundation of exploring custom designs using the platform. Put "EconoWave" in the PE search window, and stuff happens. While it may be only in minor blips, I'd guess this work is visible in PE's bottom line. Literally hundreds of systems have been built by DIYers around the world; I am justly pleased.

Yes, EconoWave is a significant departure from the cone/dome loudspeaker design paradigm which previously dominated this forum, and I regret the impacts this has had here; some regulars have viewed this work as a threat, succeeding at one point it having "Flex It" closed down for a brief period. Please appreciate that it has not been my intent to whiz on the Tech Talk campfire; I offer EconoWave as an alternative, and in unique respect, a challenge, as there is plenty of territory for dome tweeter enthusiasts to explore mating them with waveguides, based upon the work of Zaphhttp://www.zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html and Elliott. [http://sound.westhost.com/articles/waveguides1.htm]

Over the course of its 3-year history, EconoWave has grown into an internet phenomenon of considerable force and scale, with nearly a million views of the main thread on AudioKarma [http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho....php?t=150939]. I well recognize it's a Dreadnought/Juggernaut of substantial influence and credibility, and I am trying to handle that responsibly. With 1100+ posts 90,000+ views, "Flex It" now dominates Tech Talk's own post and view statistics, as well. I have concentrated discussions there intentionally as opposed to multiple smaller threads which might come to dominate the index pages, and will continue this policy.

Thank you for your ongoing cooperation in this effort; there is no reason to abandon your individual "Business-as-usual" participation as any consequence of EconoWave's presence here. There is also plenty of room for exploration of loudspeaker design options, including many alternatives, and in my view, I am pleased that Tech Talk is able to embrace any and all of them.

Today I awake to discover that my other favorite project, Karma Indignia, is the featured project in the new Parts Express sales flyer, “New and Innovative Products for 2011” @ P. 16. Needless to say, 2010 has been good a vintage year for me here in Tech Talk....

http://www.parts-express.com/salesflyer/index.html
                        Last edited by Zilch; 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Bravo!
                          Mongo only pawn in game of life
                          ____
                          Ed

Comment

• Re: Bandaid or Better for Cone Breakup modes?

Originally posted by JoMoCo View Post
                            Don't know if you have ditched your Pro 12A's...read your comments / data back in August (post 643-50) on the Pro 12A's breakup modes...I have noticed that some euro's are using a non drying coating on their high end coaxial LF cones that assumptively has the potential to moderate some breakup issues...as always...YMMV
                            Oh yea, I did quite a bit of work on this. I got this:

To eventually look like this:

Too bad it lowered the onset of break up.

None the less, some manufacturer's graphs are BS. That said I saw yesterday where a Scan Speak FRer was independently measured and the manufacturer's graphs were nearly identical. Bravo to Scan Speak. Either all manufacturing is not created equal or all manufacturers are not equally honest. Maybe a bit of both going on.

Who knows,

Dan
                            "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                            http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                            http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Oops, that wasn't the final. :o It eventually went to this:

Dan
                              "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                              http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                              http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
                                2010 EconoWave Retrospective:
                                Like I said before you have been a real asset to the diy community.

The Inlaws Hometheater

Comment

Working...
                                X