Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Originally posted by giverago View Post
    Do I use the SR's crossover still if I use the regular econowave waveguide?
    Go with the SR Compact since it uses the "regular" Dayton H6512 waveguide. Note that the SR used the bolt-on version of the D220Ti and the SR Compact uses the threaded version.

Comment

most people like the SR because it was a more efficient system.
      My simple speaker project
      My simple subwoofer project

The Inlaws Hometheater

Comment

Originally posted by stgdz View Post
        Hmm you are right, Im looking for a good design for a 2000 sq ft basement to do double duty home theater and dance club I might not need the SR. Just something that will play down to 80hz.

Comment

Originally posted by stgdz View Post
          I hadn't noticed that. Looks like a 6-7 dB difference. I wouldn't have thought making the woofer play nice with the D220Ti would result in that much of a difference due to crossover changes.

Comment

Yeah, its one of the things I wondered about when comparing the compact to the SR. Both use the same components but different waveguides, the crossover drops the efficiency on the compact though.

The Inlaws Hometheater

Comment

Originally posted by BmWr75 View Post
              You are the second person that has told me the DCX2496 is very quiet. May have to check one of those out.
              The DCX does increase the "HISS" of Compression drivers about 5 or 6dBs because it does have "HOT pro audio" type outputs.

To eliminate the issue you will require proper gain structure control. IE. You need to turn the gain on your amps down to around 15 percent and increase the input signal into the DCX.

I recently moved from the DCX to the MiniDSP and now I have zero noise issues. I do not have the ability to have the best gain structure control in some of my setups.

FWIW, I have tested many comercial amps and the best one I have found is the ATI series amps. They have the best noise floor that I have found for high sensitivity tweeters. The actually do have gain control on the back too....best amps I have found and I own a few amps.

Comment

anyone know the CTC spacing on the S8 mini?

The Inlaws Hometheater

Comment

• d220 falling off at 10khz.........

does any one have experience with the d220 falling off way early, around 10khz?

or is this due to my room modes?

thanks!

Comment

• Re: d220 falling off at 10khz.........

Originally posted by smokarz View Post
                    does any one have experience with the d220 falling off way early, around 10khz?

or is this due to my room modes?

thanks!

Measure your driver "raw". Most likely, you need to double check your crossover. The raw measurement will confirm that for you - or it will show your driver is damaged/defective. Room modes are a low frequency issue. How are you measuring output?

Comment

Originally posted by fntn View Post
                      Measure your driver "raw". Most likely, you need to double check your crossover. The raw measurement will confirm that for you - or it will show your driver is damaged/defective. Room modes are a low frequency issue. How are you measuring output?

sorry, i am fairly new with diy as this is my first speaker build.

1) how do i measure the driver "raw"?

2) i use REW software with the Audyssey mic that came with my Integra processor to take measurements. the measurement above was taken at the listening position, roughly 12ft away from speakers.

thanks!

Comment

Raw can be with or without a baffle but in either case - not connected to the crossover. This means you need to ensure that it's protected from applying voltages at low frequencies. The software you're using should allow for a high pass signal sweep from 1khz up. I use a free standing signal generator and spectrum analyzer on my work bench. For in room measurements, I use Holm Impulse - a free tool that works well with a laptop and USB card and has some really nice, simple impulse analysis features. If you're having trouble getting a high pass sweep out of your setup - I'm sure there are others here who are very familiar with what you're using. Whatever you do, be sure to adequately fuse (fast blow less than a few amps) your test rig to protect the tweeter from the application of excessive low frequency power.

Comment

Originally posted by smokarz View Post
                          sorry, i am fairly new with diy as this is my first speaker build.

1) how do i measure the driver "raw"?

2) i use REW software with the Audyssey mic that came with my Integra processor to take measurements. the measurement above was taken at the listening position, roughly 12ft away from speakers.

thanks!
                          I wouldn't trust the Audessey mic at that frequency either.
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

If the mic can't "see" the driver exit, it won't hear it at those frequencies. Same for a listener, which is part of why exponential horns beam up high.
                            Free & Free-form simulator/designer for Passive Crossovers
                            SynergyCalc 5: design spreadsheet for Wooden horns and DIY Synergy Waveguides
                            Super easy and cheap to make high performance sound diffusers

Comment

I had the Behringer cx3400 and it was silent, but it did have other issues. Had a similar BBE EQ(one of their high end models) and it hissed from one channel. The sales guy said he tried it in the shop, and no hiss. Not sure if he's full of it or not, but I think to some degree it's just luck with all this mass produced and untested or not thoroughly tested stuff. The consumer has become part of the quality control team and the savings are passed on to you.:eek:

Even though the Audyssey mic is tiny, I wouldn't trust it either(at all). Personally I can't see where REW would bring on any issues, but holm should work just fine as well. On axis, my d220 did go to 20kHz, but also fell rapidly off axis. In room and 10ft away, it was always down several dB. Probably a good thing. I would definitely try a calibrated mic first and a closer distance like 3 ft or less--that way you can be sure of your results.

Dan
                              "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                              http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                              http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

On a seperate note...Those needing help sourcing replacement waveguides for the now unobtanium QSC's......check this link

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...291022&page=40

Scroll down for pics, measurements and how to get em. A forum member has graciously sourced em from oversees and measurments indicate they may be as good as it gets where WG's are concerned.:D

Comment

Working...
                                X