• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bendaniels
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

Originally posted by teddytusen View Post
    The finish is either love or hate I suppose, but we like it.
    I like that a lot.

Leave a comment:

• teddytusen
    replied

Followed the project a long time before jumping in this february. Inspired by Gainphile, but went for BR tuned to 47hz. The finish is either love or hate I suppose, but we like it.

Selenium D220
    QSC Waveguide
    Eminence Beta 12
    miniDsp
    Rotel RB-976 amp

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jayhawk785
    replied

I'd still like a 'bit' of bass response from these guys--but I suppose my biggest concern is the mid-bass aspect. I'll likely keep them the same size and either poly-stuff or port for the 50hz value.

At least that saves me some time - dont have to rework the boxes or buy dsps heh.

I have 2 subs up front

and two hsu vtf-15h's in the rear. I've purchased an at screen and I'm going to build the wall forward a bit to allow for speaker placement behind the screen.

this is the basic idea -
    i was going to go line array, but opted for pro-type instead. Once i have the final dimensions on the current guys im building, i'll be able to finish the plans for moving the wall forward.

thanks for all the help guys--really appreciate it. I should probably start a build thread so I this thread isn't convoluted anymore than it already is...
    Last edited by jayhawk785; 05-15-2012, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

If you're running a sub with these, then forget the ported option, and seal up the enclosure with a couple pounds of fiber fill on the inside. Let the subs do the heavy lifting, and you can throw a 1000W amp at the Deluxe, and they'll soak it up all day.

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

Originally posted by jayhawk785 View Post
    I had just planned to use the denon to power them, unless I have to do some weird dsp magic. Inuke 3ooo looks like its only 2ch too. I'd have l/c/r to power of I went dsp+passive route to boost the lowend
    If by LCR you mean HT setup with bass management, there would be no need for the boost or bigger box - any of that really. If you intend to roll with the standard 80Hz crossover point the speaker should be -3dB @ 80Hz or some such IIRC. Sealed with a lean bass response would be just fine IOW.

With what you are building the center channel could be totally undesirable if you like a HiFi large center imaging type presentation. If you run sub/s up front then you can run even higher crossover if you like. I've been to this movie before. :D

Leave a comment:

• jayhawk785
    replied

Originally posted by NEO Dan View Post
    If it were me I'd build the passive crossovers and probably use a single NU3000DSP to run them.
    The passive crossover designed has the advantage of being designed to address both phase and amplitude through the crossover, most DSP or electronic solutions do not address phase, if they did they would be overwhelmingly popular.
    If you don't have measurement gear I would strongly recommend you stick with the passive crossover, baffle size, and driver placement.
    I had just planned to use the denon to power them, unless I have to do some weird dsp magic. Inuke 3ooo looks like its only 2ch too. I'd have l/c/r to power of I went dsp+passive route to boost the lowend

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

Hmm the inukes look intriguing and aren't too expensive.... Two nu1000s would work ok there... Will it do what I need it to do to keep the boxes the same size / active xover...?
    If it were me I'd build the passive crossovers and probably use a single NU3000DSP to run them.
    The passive crossover designed has the advantage of being designed to address both phase and amplitude through the crossover, most DSP or electronic solutions do not address phase, if they did they would be overwhelmingly popular.
    If you don't have measurement gear I would strongly recommend you stick with the passive crossover, baffle size, and driver placement.

Leave a comment:

• jayhawk785
    replied

Originally posted by NEO Dan View Post
    You can build them with the passive networks and probably get better results.
    As for the boost, you can use an amp with DSP to make the filter, the newish behringer inuke line with DSP come to mind or you can use something like a DEQ2496 or MIC2200 to get it done.
    Hmm the inukes look intriguing and aren't too expensive.... Two nu1000s would work ok there... Will it do what I need it to do to keep the boxes the same size / active xover...?

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

You can build them with the passive networks and probably get better results.
    As for the boost, you can use an amp with DSP to make the filter, the newish behringer inuke line with DSP come to mind or you can use something like a DEQ2496 or MIC2200 to get it done.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Hm, so now i have to decide what to do there eh. I'm guessing I'd need two minidsps--dont think they make one with more than 2 channels in.

otherwise figure out how to expand the bottom a bit on the finished boxes and increase the volume...
    If you use the MiniDSP, and implement the boost, you can use your existing cabinets.

Leave a comment:

• jayhawk785
    replied

If you use miniDSP, that's probably the easiest solution, if you can program the type of HP filter described. I'm not sure that's a built in function, a peaking 2nd order HP, but if it is, you're in. Just insert it at the input of the amp.

The passive XO remains either way, unless you want to add more amps and replace the XO between woofer and tweeter. But I'd question that since the XO is so simple to begin with.
    Hm, so now i have to decide what to do there eh. I'm guessing I'd need two minidsps--dont think they make one with more than 2 channels in.

otherwise figure out how to expand the bottom a bit on the finished boxes and increase the volume...

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

so if i go the boost route, with an active crossover--do you recommend the minidsps or something else? --does it take the place of the passive crossover--or call for a redesign?

appreciate the simulation--I'll see what it would take to get me to 3cu feet (without looking ridiculous)
    If you use miniDSP, that's probably the easiest solution, if you can program the type of HP filter described. I'm not sure that's a built in function, a peaking 2nd order HP, but if it is, you're in. Just insert it at the input of the amp.

The passive XO remains either way, unless you want to add more amps and replace the XO between woofer and tweeter. But I'd question that since the XO is so simple to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• jayhawk785
    replied

Well, I ran a sim using 1.8 cubic feet, and a 45Hz tune, and assuming .3 Ohm series resistance to account for wiring and the inductor. 50Hz F3, which is quite respectable. 6.5" long, 4" diamter port. Add a peaking 2nd order HP, 6dB boost at 35Hz, and increase the port to 12" long, you'll get 35Hz F3 with good woofer control to tuning.

Or, increase the enclosure to as much as 3cf, with a 40Hz tune, and get F3 of 40Hz with a 4" long, 4" diameter port.
    so if i go the boost route, with an active crossover--do you recommend the minidsps or something else? --does it take the place of the passive crossover--or call for a redesign?

appreciate the simulation--I'll see what it would take to get me to 3cu feet (without looking ridiculous)

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Well, I ran a sim using 1.8 cubic feet, and a 45Hz tune, and assuming .3 Ohm series resistance to account for wiring and the inductor. 50Hz F3, which is quite respectable. 6.5" long, 4" diamter port. Add a peaking 2nd order HP, 6dB boost at 35Hz, and increase the port to 12" long, you'll get 35Hz F3 with good woofer control to tuning.

Or, increase the enclosure to as much as 3cf, with a 40Hz tune, and get F3 of 40Hz with a 4" long, 4" diameter port.

Leave a comment:

• jayhawk785
    replied

got you beat by about 20 years!
    heh, probably didnt run into each other then ;)

2/3 speakers are here. everything should be here by wednesday...

got all the boxes done--just need to figure out port/length, tune. I also figure I can add a base to them which would give me another .75cu ft if needed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X