winkun - Delite 10
    stgdz - Delite 10e
    Flacjunky - SR Variant
    bruson - Engebretson
    Cerdic - EconoWave SR

RESOURCES:

Buyout E-Wave Minis:

Beta-8A & XD120 in KLH-24

BAH! Can't upload FRDs; they're 19.6 Kb with minimum phase, 512 pts. Shall I strip the phase or redo them with lower (256 pt.) resolution? Strip readings below 100 Hz? Zip them? (Never done that.)

Here they are as image:

ZMAs below.

C/C distance 10.5"

HF front plate ~2" behind LF

Drivers measured via windowed MLS (185 Hz min resolution) on-axis @ 44", 1/6 octave smoothed.

Target: 1.5 kHz acoustic.

Need more info?

You show yours and I'll show mine.

[Y'all go first.... ;) ]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Zilch; 12-13-2010, 02:30 AM.

• turnitdown
    replied
    Re: Flex Your PCD Mettle:

I'll experiment some with new compression drivers, but the Selenium and B&C are working out very well. Anyone still printing PC boards? I can't stop building. lol

Leave a comment:

• Gary Lightfoot
    replied

DIYSoundgroup has a Denovo DNA-150 CD that may work well, but will need a crossover redesign.

Leave a comment:

• NEO Dan
    replied

Originally posted by djnagle View Post
    has anyone found a cheaper compression driver to replace the D220T? There have been a number of new and smaller drivers out there
    The D220T is pretty inexpensive but there is a new and cheaper version that takes the same diaphragm assembly the D202Ti, personally I would be looking toward the CDX1-1446 for $1 more.

Leave a comment:

• djnagle
    replied

has anyone found a cheaper compression driver to replace the D220T? There have been a number of new and smaller drivers out there

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by teddytusen View Post
    I might very well be blind Pete, but I cant see a BOM for the crossover for woofers with high sencivity (above 95db) there... I dont have any of the woofers in the list either. I use the Eminence Beta 12A.
    I believe that all the tweeters are coupled with L-pads so that they can be adjusted to various woofers.

Leave a comment:

• teddytusen
    replied

I might very well be blind Pete, but I cant see a BOM for the crossover for woofers with high sencivity (above 95db) there... I dont have any of the woofers in the list either. I use the Eminence Beta 12A.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by teddytusen View Post
    Hi. I would like to go from active Econowaves to passive, and I want to try the standard HE crossover. Is there a BOM somewhere, maybe with links to the parts at PE?
    Have a look at the first page. Zilch was thoughtful enough to link the project to the first few posts, along with schematics.

Leave a comment:

• teddytusen
    replied

Hi. I would like to go from active Econowaves to passive, and I want to try the standard HE crossover. Is there a BOM somewhere, maybe with links to the parts at PE?

Leave a comment:

• tmhutson
    replied

Thanks for the reply, Killa.

Right now I am trying to see how close the sim is vs the actual econowave crossover measurement so that I know I am entering the econowave crossover values correctly into PCD. I did play with some values just to see how they would change the sim. A zobel cleaned things up a little. But the crossover schematic I am using does not have a zobel, so am not entering one just yet... I am trying to stay focused here. :D

I have attached a pic of the sim'd combined FR that I have so far. It's almost there.
    The inlay is of the CERWAVES as measured from tweeter axis. I entered the mic measuring distance.
    The tweeter contour of the sim is not quite right.
    The only part of the econowave crossover I have not been able to enter into PCD is the 16 ohm resistor. I think I am wrong in assuming that the econowave schematic has the 16 ohm resistor which looks like it correlates to the R14 position. I can't use a leg, as the resistor is in parallel before the countour that is in series.
    I will include the schematic to see if you understand my confusion. :rolleyes:
    I will include a pic of the PCD schematic and econowave schematic so you can see what I see exactly.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	econowave pcd sim.bmp
Views:	1
Size:	709.0 KB
ID:	1154997Click image for larger version

Name:	Econowave crossover less than 95db 4 OHM.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1154998Click image for larger version

Name:	PCD xover schematic.bmp
Views:	1
Size:	595.8 KB
ID:	1154999.

Everything else is coming together slowly.
    I need to know how to enter the 16 ohm resistor from the econo schematic into PCD.

Thanks for your patience.
    Todd
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

I think your crossover values are spread far enough apart (best way I can describe it) If you make the capacitor larger or the inductor smaller I think the spike will flatten out. When components get close to affecting the same frequency range (usually when you are trying to get the rolloff really steep) you can get a hump.

Leave a comment:

• tmhutson
    replied

I looked over some of the Wayne Parham pdf's about crossovers. I am learning even more.
    I looked up the schematics on PCD.
    I am pretty sure I have the hang of entering most stuff now. I was looking at the wrong schematic and the numbers didn't make sense. Now they do.

I was able to add a zobel on the woofer to correct the simulation issue where it was peaking at 1.8k.
    But what I don't understand, is that I don't think it's peaking in my real measurements like it is in the sim.
    There is no zobel on the econowave crossover, though. I am confused on this.

I am having an issue entering the 16 ohm resistor value on the econowave crossover into the R14 slot on PCD. As you can see in the picture, when I click on r14 it already says "16" in the "fx" field. I am not sure why. I had not entered anything. I need to enter the R14 value, as I think it might be a damper.

The contour of the tweeter looks all messed up, and the level is a little low. I am getting a little farther, and learning a little more. But still having issues.

Screen shot to show what issue I am having with R14...

I just looked at my woofer sim with crossover, vs a holmimpulse FR I had for woofer alone with LP crossover. The 1.8k peak is lower on the sim with the zobel. So I think the zobel is working properly in the sim. If I am entering the parameters correctly, and the sim is accurate on the woofer, it may help tone down the resonance at 1.8k a bit. But until I figure out how to enter the econowave HP properly, I won't know how it will work at all. I am getting so close! Dangit...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tmhutson
    replied

I am not sure what is going on here. I entered the LP (C2 L2) onto PCD and now the response of the woofer looks odd. Not right at all. What am I doing wrong?

Here is a screen shot of what I entered. When I have PCD calculate the L2 C2 automatically for a second order at 1.2k, I get different results, but close to the econowave. And the calculated still looks off. How can an LP filter increase the response at crossover frequency? I set the filter for 1.2k.
    The filter has an increase at crossover frequency, which it did not when I was playing around with the woofer with NO zma file attached. Is my ZMA file messing with the crossover?.

I got the overlay to work. Just had to redo the frd files again.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by tmhutson View Post
    . PCD's combined did not look perfectly like my measured combined. Close, but not quite. .

I think you should post this in your other thread as it is easier to go back and see what you have already done as far as how you measured things and set things up ;)

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by tmhutson View Post
    . PCD's combined did not look perfectly like my measured combined. Close, but not quite. .

I think you should post this in your other thread as it is easier to go back and see what you have already done as far as how you measured things and set things up ;)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X