No announcement yet.

RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

I'll be adding my sealed stereo bass bins using the 315HF any day now.....driven with an NHT B-20 amp and fed with my AVR's L and R pre-outs. The B-20 has selectable LP filters up to 240hz 1st and second order. I should be able to get a smooth blend to my sealed mains and i suspect your adjective means the 315 sounds really nice in the 250hz range. What volume enclosure did you use for the 315?

Comment

I've got about 3.3 cubic feet behind the RSS315-8, with a PR tuning the whole thing to 17Hz. That produces response very much like a sealed box version, but with the advantage of increase power handling at the lowest frequencies. F3 is 30Hz, with F10 at 14Hz. In room bass should be extended well into the low 20s. That alignment will reach Xmax with 200W at 30Hz, and 106dB. A pair in-room will be able to easily exceed 110dB at 30Hz, and below.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Let me start off by clearing up what I did. The smaller cap value was on the woofer, not the mid, which increased the output in the 200-400Hz range, bringing back the requisite "thickness" to the upright bass and vocals that was missing with the larger cap value, rolling off the woofer a bit too early.

Jeff did indeed have it backward, thinking I was removing "chestiness" when I was actually bringing it up. No big deal. Doesn't change the fact that Jeff is a friggin' genius. ;)

Afterward, I also reduced the midrange cap value, from 125 to 100uF, pushing up the XO point just a bit for the mid. The RSS filling that range just seems to add more life than having the mid cover those lower frequencies. Everything is just coming to life now.

Lower midbass is just scrumtrulescent
        You're right. I thought you lowered the highpass cap on the midrange. Lowering either cap, woofer shunt or midrange highpass, would effectively raise the crossover point, but would indeed change the summed level differently. Thanks for clearing it up.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Zeroing in . . .

Got Cream Live DVD playing on it now. Sounding real, real good.

I lowered the XO point on the mid/tweet to 2200Hz, and in doing so got a LOT better phase tracking over a wider range. The transfer function is quite shallow for both mid and tweeter, almost a 1st order type of slope throughout the overlap region.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Those really look great . I have been thinking about buying that tweeter and using it with a Peerless 830875. I was planning on using the RSS315HF-4 or the RSS265HF-4 for the woofer duties.

Now that you had time to listen to them , what is thoughts on that tweeter ? It looks like a great deal with the specs. listed on PE's website.
            Thanks ,
            JB

Comment

Originally posted by DjDisturbed View Post
              Those really look great . I have been thinking about buying that tweeter and using it with a Peerless 830875. I was planning on using the RSS315HF-4 or the RSS265HF-4 for the woofer duties.

Now that you had time to listen to them , what is thoughts on that tweeter ? It looks like a great deal with the specs. listed on PE's website.
              The RS28, A or F version, is an excellent tweeter. It certainly is a top echelon performer from a number of objective standpoints, but my own personal observation with the A version is that it is a laid back driver that doesn't draw a lot of attention to itself. It simply gets the job done with an effortless quality.

The only drawback to the A version over the F version is the top octave performance. My older ears probably wouldn't notice it, but younger ears might well appreciate the extended high end on the fabric version.

The RS28 is a good value, and very tough to beat without spending a LOT more money.

I like the idea of the RS28, 830875 and RSS315. Peerless mid woofers make excellent midrange-only drivers. Relieving bass duties lets them open up beautifully. They really do have some of the nicest sounding mids around.

What I've gathered so far is that the RSS315 likes to go to 300Hz, with a 2nd order filter, and provides a smooth transition to the mid. It may also benefit from a notch at the first resonance (which some have put in the dust cap) but I haven't added that to the XO yet.

I'm wondering if a lightweight damping compound could be added to the dustcap without making it look like crap. It would be better to tame the cause of the resonance than to try and deal with it in the XO.

Comment

Pete, would you care to speculate how the sound would change if you increased the slope of the M/W cross, to LR4? Second order lets you hear a lot of midrange from that big woofer.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint View Post
                  Pete, would you care to speculate how the sound would change if you increased the slope of the M/W cross, to LR4? Second order lets you hear a lot of midrange from that big woofer.
                  Hmmm . . . good question.

I suppose I could wire up a 4th LR at 300Hz and try it out.

As it is, the Scan is still the dominant force in the mids. When I relaxed the woofer just a bit, the lower mids and upper midbass really improved overall. There's just something about that larger diaphragm that imparts the tactile side of the experience that the Scan alone wasn't able to convey.

One speculation is that with the larger overlap of the 2nd order slopes, the transition between drivers is less detectable. If the transition were steeper, it might be easier to tell when the sound of an instrument moves from the mid to the woofer. As it is now, I have no complaints.

XO parts for the pair are on the way according to the email I just got from PE. :D Should have both up and running this weekend (FINALLY) for the critical stereo voicing in their final positions in the room. I'll get some final measurements and write up the design.

Comment

nice job pete. scanspeak as a mid was a smart move.

what will you use for color in the finish a nice clear coat or something a bit darker.

Comment

• Re: RSS315HF-4 as the anchor of a 3-way???

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
                      nice job pete. scanspeak as a mid was a smart move.

what will you use for color in the finish a nice clear coat or something a bit darker.
                      Yeah, I have to agree with you on the ScanSpeak choice, and have to thank DoubleTap for providing them. They are ridiculously easy to work with, and really have no shortcomings at all, other than the steep price.

The final finish will probably be a very slight reddish dye, followed by something to pop the grain and then clear coat. The grain is just beautiful. D,Rose sure picked some nice looking veneer.

I've got enough left over to veneer a couple of crossover enclosures that will sit behind each cabinet. I'm also looking seriously at building a set of the ClassDAudio amps to power these beauties, in their own matching veneered enclosures.

Comment

a good choice a pale red.. the grain is really nice. I don't care for dark stains on nice grained wood like you have.

You know with this three way and that super killer 4 driver sub (rss390hf) you built you may have a perfect 2.1 system.

I find that I listen to a lot of 2.1 in my ht. I have it set up in such a way that 2.1 or 5.1 can be played.
                        Attached Files

Comment

focal mtm over nht1259's

1 dayton rss390hf IB

behind couch for complete setup.

all active with a passive protective cap of 20uf to the tweeter and the 2500uf 1 ohm resister filter to the IB.

your speakers certainly look a lot better and have to be close to the same in SQ (darn good to say the least)

Comment

Originally posted by philiparcario View Post
                            a good choice a pale red.. the grain is really nice. I don't care for dark stains on nice grained wood like you have.

You know with this three way and that super killer 4 driver sub (rss390hf) you built you may have a perfect 2.1 system.

I find that I listen to a lot of 2.1 in my ht. I have it set up in such a way that 2.1 or 5.1 can be played.
                            That Quad RSS390HF sub is not mine, sadly. I built that for my friend Dave, and it sits in his dedicated HT room.

These won't need sub augmentation in any way. They are true full-range 3-ways, with anechoic F3 @ 26Hz, F10 @ 15Hz, thanks to the PR, tuning the 3.3 cubes to 17Hz.

Here's the WinISD modeling comparing PR (pink) to sealed (yellow).

Comment

Progress!!!

Now with XO parts in hand, time to get them both playing at the same time!!!

:D:D:D

Yeah, they are a beeyotch to move around!!! :eek::eek:

Comment

WoW...

Comment

Working...
                                X