clipping amp kills woofer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clipping amp kills woofer?

Several places recently I have read it stated that an amp driven into clipping may damage or destroy a woofer or subwoofer, it being implied that an amp with greater current capacity at the same drive level would be fine.

This does not make sense to me. I am aware of the spectrum shift that occurs with a clipped signal and the danger this poses to higher frequency drivers, but I think a clipped signal would drive less power into a woofer, because its impedance rises with frequency.

Is there some woofer-killing amp instability that coincides with clipping that I am unaware of?

Re: clipping amp kills woofer?

From past experience, most of the blown car woofers we sold were paired with gutless amps presumed to be throwing square waves (clipped signal) at their downstream partners. Those who had good big amps had a much lower percentage of problems. In home audio, the kids who bought 35 watt receivers damaged more stuff than those with good separates. In both instances there also might be a correlation between caring enough about your gear to turn it down at the first sign of distress and caring for your ears and doing the same thing
    When you run make sure you run,
    to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

When an ampl clips a signal, you are basically putting maximum DC voltage out which overheats the voice coils.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
        Is there some woofer-killing amp instability that coincides with clipping that I am unaware of?
        No. Clipping doesn't kill woofers, overpowering does.
        When an ampl clips a signal, you are basically putting maximum DC voltage out which overheats the voice coils
        Absolutely positively false. Read this:
        http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...hp?f=10&t=1886
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Yes, severe clipping of a signal by an amplifier can cause the voice coil of a woofer to overheat. Some clipping is generally not a problem (except to your ears, of course).

Here's a real nice explanation:
          http://www.bcae1.com/
          Go to page 29 called "Too little power."

I like it when he says:
          "You should remember:
          1.Idiots blow speakers, not low power."

Comment

It's simple really, an amp driven into clipping will deliver more than it's rated power.. sometimes a little more and sometimes a lot, and if that exceeds the power handling of the attached speakers and the system is operated this way long enough the speakers will be damaged. High frequency drivers may only survive seconds when being overpowered while woofers may take hours to destroy, but they all fail for the same reason.. from being overpowered.
            Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              Absolutely positively false. Read this:
              http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...hp?f=10&t=1886
              I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. It's funny how many times I have heard/read that myth.

Comment

Several places recently I have read it stated that an amp driven into clipping may damage or destroy a woofer or subwoofer, it being implied that an amp with greater current capacity at the same drive level would be fine.

This does not make sense to me. I am aware of the spectrum shift that occurs with a clipped signal and the danger this poses to higher frequency drivers, but I think a clipped signal would drive less power into a woofer, because its impedance rises with frequency.

If the amp is of lower design quality, under clipping conditions, it may be doing so unsymmetrically, imparting a DC component, not a large one, but perhaps enough to cause heating on top of the other harmonics being introduced.

I find it unfathomable that a 100W amp could blow a 500W woofer, unless the amp failed to one rail, and even then . . .
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

http://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au...ne/note128.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by superbrew View Post
                    I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. It's funny how many times I have heard/read that myth.
                    It more or less originated with this:
                    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

Unfortunately more than a few readers of the JBL document overlooked the key phrase high frequency components. So as with most myths it started off with basis in fact but with each retelling the facts became less and less important until they disappeared entirely.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Close, but no cigar.
                      The truth is an amp driven into clipping will most likely destroy a TWEETER!

Comment

Thank you all. I have been away from Audio for seven years, and undoubtedly new discoveries have been made in that time, so I didn't want to dismiss the claims outright.

Pete, how much asymmetry are you talking about? I suppose there could be an over-excursion risk on vented designs if it is large enough.

Comment

Originally posted by View Post

Close, but no cigar.
                          The truth is an amp driven into clipping will most likely destroy a TWEETER!
                          most true in a passive filtered speaker. However, while mids, and especially woofers are more tolerant, sooner or later clipping WILL take them all down. Further a 50 watt amp can blow a 500W speaker faster than 5K watt amp.
                          Samsung 60"
                          Rotel RSP 1068
                          LG BD-C6500 Blu Ray, Charter Rcvr, Denon LA 3100 LDP, Phillips 935 CD Chgr
                          RTi A7 (Bi-amped!)
                          Tops: Rotel RB-985->AR 12 ga OFC
                          Bottoms: Belles->MC 10 ga ***
                          Rotel RB-985->12 ga MC->Polk CSi A6 ***
                          Behringer DEQ 2496->Mackie 1400->10 ga MC ->DBX 15 DVC Sub rewired w/10 ga MC
                          Hafler XL-280->AR 12 & 18 ga OFC->Polk RTi A1***

* Plan to bi**/tri***-amp all channels correctly-Dad of many keeps me busy

Comment

Originally posted by gp4Jesus View Post
                            . Further a 50 watt amp can blow a 500W speaker faster than 5K watt amp.
                            Sorry but that is preposterous.
                            Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by marscoast View Post

Yes, severe clipping of a signal by an amplifier can cause the voice coil of a woofer to overheat. Some clipping is generally not a problem (except to your ears, of course).

Here's a real nice explanation:
                              http://www.bcae1.com/
                              Go to page 29 called "Too little power."

I like it when he says:
                              "You should remember:
                              1.Idiots blow speakers, not low power."
                              ​Yup, that explanation sounds the best so far.

Direct link: http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm
                              Brian Steele
                              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X