Passive crossover for a subwoofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive crossover for a subwoofer

Is it feasible to make something like a BSC circuit to make a sealed subwoofer less sensitive in the 50hz region and above but would still retain its low end extension? Of course I can always use EQ but if I can get away with it I will.

Suggestions?

Re: Passive crossover for a subwoofer

you should be able to model in pcd.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I actually did. I was just wondering if anybody did this before and how the results were before I do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by morris View Post
        Is it feasible to make something like a BSC circuit to make a sealed subwoofer less sensitive in the 50hz region and above but would still retain its low end extension? Of course I can always use EQ but if I can get away with it I will.

Suggestions?
        Sure, but the part values would be HUGE.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by morris View Post

Suggestions?
          The price of the components could equal, if not exceed, that of a multi-band parametric EQ that would work far better.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

You could but some drawbacks are:

Cost
            DCR(losses)
            change of alignment/response due to impedence varations
            Lack of flexibility

A cheap solution is a PLLXO (Passive Line Level Crossover).

Comment

Originally posted by ocool_15 View Post
              You could but some drawbacks are:

Cost
              DCR(losses)
              change of alignment/response due to impedence varations
              Lack of flexibility

A cheap solution is a PLLXO (Passive Line Level Crossover).
              Losses due to parasitic resistance wouldn't be that bad, because you're working in the high impedance region of the sub. But you're absolutely correct about how the alignment changes, and does so dramatically as the filter inductance gets larger.

PLLXO is a good option, but EQ essentially does the same thing.

If you're driving the sub with a dedicated amp, do the filter passively on the input of the amp with the PLLXO, or actively in the pre-amp (HT LFE) or sub amp. It's cheaper to do it on the front end when the frequency gets that low.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

EQ is a better approach then.
                Would this one work?
                http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=B-1

Comment

Are you trying to shelve out a peak from using too small an enclosure?
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                  X