Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 attic, 4 10's, 6 cu. ft of boxes, 1+ cu. ft of manifold, 2 amps, less than $250

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 attic, 4 10's, 6 cu. ft of boxes, 1+ cu. ft of manifold, 2 amps, less than $250

4 - buyout parts express eminence DVC 10's
    2 - nht buyout sub amps (mod for 6db boost at 28ish hz)
    2 - 3/4 mdf
    some pink stuffing
    some glue
    some wire
    you get the picture

the whole in the 70 plus year old ceiling

my high quality dremel tool with an 1/8" end mill for cutting holes

(not alot of box building pics, not really anything exciting about a plain mdf box)

sub manifold with holes cut

sub manifold in attic

4 - 1.5 cu. ft boxes in attic attached to manifold

(im 6'4 225lbs, the attic gets really small in a hurry)

sub wiring from boxes into top of manifold, subs are wired dvc in parrelell, opposing pair of subs wired in series to each amp

the amp top hat box

(my working space is shrinking very fast)

the amp mods, for "easier" changes to the 2 resistors for changing boost level and frequency

the 2 amps installed on the top of the manifold

looking up into finished manifold with drivers installed

simple grill distracts from large vertical hole in ceiling

and now my ceiling goes boom! explosions on movies are good!!
    THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
    SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
    - SCOTT IAN

Comment

Re: 1 attic, 4 10's, 6 cu. ft of boxes, 1+ cu. ft of manifold, 2 amps, less than $250

white grill was the plan, but i had a pair of older techincs speakers in the garage, and one of them was nice enough to donate its grill cloth to the project. i will not lie, i am cheap or as my dad always said "he wasn't cheap, just frugal. careful where his money went." i guess some of that rubbed off on me.

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
      - SCOTT IAN

Comment

Re: 1 attic, 4 10's, 6 cu. ft of boxes, 1+ cu. ft of manifold, 2 amps, less than $250

I have a pair of the buyout 12" drivers and was thinking of doing the same thing, except maybe just IB instead of attic boxes. Not sure. It seems like they run out of displacement pretty quickly in that configuration but they would play pretty loud. How are your 10s? I think 4 of those 10s is similar to two 12".

Actullay 4 10s is like 2.8 12s

Comment

I like that idea, even have an attic I could use myself. My concerns are summer time heat for the amp, and my neighbors are way too close. That bass would permeate the whole block! Hope your neighbors are far away.

Nice install!

Marv

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
            I have a pair of the buyout 12" drivers and was thinking of doing the same thing, except maybe just IB instead of attic boxes. Not sure. It seems like they run out of displacement pretty quickly in that configuration but they would play pretty loud. How are your 10s? I think 4 of those 10s is similar to two 12".

Actullay 4 10s is like 2.8 12s
            when i first modeled them with published specs, and with specs i found on the board from a member testing them with a wt3. they ran out of gas with just 20 watts per speaker. (if memory serves me) all 4 with just 60 watts were over 100db with room to spare. they are obviously not the best driver, but for 25 bucks a piece (they are 15 now) i figured i would give it a try.

they do sound good to my very untrained ear. they are located right above the tv and definately make the whole house come to life.

Originally posted by marvin View Post
            I like that idea, even have an attic I could use myself. My concerns are summer time heat for the amp, and my neighbors are way too close. That bass would permeate the whole block! Hope your neighbors are far away.

Nice install!

Marv
            i thought about the heat, the beach air, the general elements of an attic and time will tell. i figure worse case i have to install an attic fan directed at the set-up and hook it to a thermostat.

my house is on a corner and fortunately my neighbors are an empty lot, and a single small house with my tenants in it. also there is a main road very close by, so the whole neiborhood is used to big rigs, barking dogs, deafining car stereos.

i can't wait till plaster (actually about 1" thick aggregate, practically concreete) starts breaking loose and crashing down. house is from 30's and moved from downtown ventura to it current location in the 40's. the house is pretty solid, but these subs just might be the wrecking ball.

thanx for the compliments

- SCOTT IAN

Comment

Working...
            X