Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the NC DIY AUDIO 2010 Budget 2-way Project

last updated: 4/14/2010

NOTE: Further updates will be posted here whenever I have new info.

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
    The NC DIY AUDIO 2010 Budget 2-way is a small, high-performance sealed bookshelf speaker using a 5.25" woofer and a 1" tweeter. The crossover was designed by Jeff Bagby. Distortion measurements done on the drivers by Mark K (see link below) show that both provide excellent bang-for-the-buck performance! The speaker's frequency response should be within +/- 2dB above 150Hz. Output below 100Hz is limited - a subwoofer with a 2nd order or higher crossover at 150Hz is recommended for realistic bass output levels and accurate, low distortion, full-range reproduction.

There is a thread about this project with measurements and the crossover schematic at Mark K's website:
    http://www.audioheuristics.org/proje...arlies2way.htm

Here is where to purchase components to build this speaker:

WOOFERS:
    These are available from Jack Hidley, in pairs, for $30/pr. Jack's web site is here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/
    These are a surplus NHT woofer, model NPT-11-081-1, near the bottom of the page. The AR12 woofer and the Foster subwoofer amp that jack sells would make a great and inexpensive sub project to combine with the 2-way monitors. The directions for ordering from Jack are at the bottom of his web page. Make sure to read the instructions carefully before proceeding.

TWEETER:
    The tweeter is the Vifa DQ25SC16-04, available from Madisound for $13.10ea. If you order these along with the crossovers from Madisound, you can save 10% on everything! See the crossover section for details.

CROSSOVERS:
    I have worked with Madisound to come up with a crossover "kit". This is available as parts only or assembled for a small up charge. Buying all the parts together as a "kit" gets you a discount, and you can also get a 10% discount on the purchase of tweeters when bought along with the crossover kits.

The kits are not part of their regular catalog. To order them, you must send an EMail to [email protected], attention Adam. In the subject line, type "ATTN: Adam, Charlie Laub Project", and put one of the following text in the body of the EMail, depending on what you want to order:

“ATTN: Adam, Charlie Laub Project – please add crossover parts $22.64/each including discount and apply a 10% discount to my DQ25 tweeters. I understand shipping cost will be slightly higher than estimated in this order and I will only be charged the exact shipping cost”

“ATTN: Adam, Charlie Laub Project – please add assembled crossovers $34.94/each including discount and apply a 10% discount to my DQ25 tweeters. . I understand shipping cost will be slightly higher than estimated in this order and I will only be charged the exact shipping cost”

Adam will be handling the orders personally. Please thank him for this support of this project. Hats off to Mad for making pre-assembled crossovers (see a picture of the crossover boards here) available as well!

CABINETS:
    Nik Brewer of will provide pre-built cabinets at $50/pr plus shipping for built, unfinished cabinets specifically made for these drivers. He is well known for building high quality speaker cabinets and for an additional fee he offers several veneer options that only need a final finishing coat by you. If you are interested in having Nik build you a set of cabinets for this project, please contact him at:
    bluegti (at) hotmail.com
    and ask about the cabs for the NC DIY AUDIO 2010 Budget 2-way.

If you want to build your own cabinet, send me a PM and I will reply with the cabinet dimensions and other dimensional info.

If you have any questions, you can send me a PM here and I will get back to you. Please check back in a few weeks for new info and updates to this (the first) post in this thread.

-Charlie
    Last edited by charlielaub; 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM.
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Re: Building the NC DIY AUDIO 2010 Budget 2-way Project

Were the other xovers auditioned?
    I'm curious how one was selected...
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hi Wolf,
      No, actually I didn't do more than model the others. I'm very curious, but there just isn't time to try out all the variations. I built Jeff's as it was very simple/inexpensive and it measured remarkably well, so I kind of ran out of gas on the project. I'm still very curious about a series xover and may revisit it, but time is the limiting factor...

Er, the only person auditioning so far was me. Er, isn't that all that's required...Just kidding!!! I'll get them to Charlie and he'll listen, and they will end up at the DIY, maybe as a satellites crossed to some subs as they seem to be a very nice small room 5.1 speaker.

So we'll get a report back after the diy...
      audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Wolf,

I have 12 cabs and woofers. I will probably be building different xovers including yours. Without going back to the design thread, I remember your design being more suitable when not using sub? Or not.

David Gain

Comment

Might be considered a 'bigger' sound on its own, yes. I modeled it that way.

Make sure you throw a 1.5uF across the woofer to limit the treble bleed through that was mentioned.

Mark-
          No sweat, I was just curious.
          Later,
          Wolf
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
            Wolf,

I have 12 cabs and woofers. I will probably be building different xovers including yours. Without going back to the design thread, I remember your design being more suitable when not using sub? Or not.

David Gain
            So you're the guy that bought all the cabinets...:eek: I still think these are worth making even if you have to build the cabs.

Building a couple different pairs with different xovers would be really interesting. At diy's past there have been "build a xover competition" given a box and set of drivers. It's hard to do and requires a lot of effort...
            audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Well, Jack had such a good price on a case of 12 woofers I couldn't pass it up, and it kind of snowballed.

I have two subs built with the Dayton 2.1 amp, and I will build some as gifts to stand alone, so different xovers for each.

I think it will be interesting to compare them.

Comment

Ben, I think the Key to picking my crossover was simply that I focused on keeping the complexity and costs as low as possible while still shooting for a flat, in-phase summation, with a decent impedance. That doesn't mean it is necessarily "better" than anyone else's, but for a budget project I tried to make sure it used easy to find parts values and the cost was reasonable. I could have been more complex, but I opted to move cost up the priority list due the type of project it was. Since it measured well too, Mark went with it. I would encourage anyone interested to build your series crossover as well, or Pete's design too, for that matter. I am sure they are excellent too. I am not sure yours is fuller sounding, I did employ quite a bit of BSC too, but who knows.
                Last edited by Jeff B.; 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM.
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Update on cabinets posted...

I posted some preliminary info on replacement cabinets for the project in the first post of the thread. Check back there again in a few days for more complete info.

-Charlie

Comment

FWIW, I think mine cost less, but it was mainly for curiosity purposes here. I have no beef with it at all. I'm sure yours and mine had more BSC than Pete's did.
                    I'm sure yours sounds fine.
                    Later,
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Assembled Crossovers from Madisound now available

Well look-ee here! A nice pair of crossover boards for this project. I purchased these, already assembled, from Adam at Madisound (see directions on how to order the pre-assembled crossovers in the first post of this thread).

These are high quality, well made boards with the exact crossover for this project, ready to use. They can be easily installed via the woofer hole. It doesn't get better than that!

I want to thank Adam for all his help in coming up with this offering!

-Charlie

Comment

Re: Assembled Crossovers from Madisound now available

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
                        Well look-ee here! A nice pair of crossover boards for this project. I purchased these, already assembled, from Adam at Madisound (see directions on how to order the pre-assembled crossovers in the first post of this thread).

These are high quality, well made boards with the exact crossover for this project, ready to use. They can be easily installed via the woofer hole. It doesn't get better than that!

I want to thank Adam for all his help in coming up with this offering!

-Charlie

Dang Charlie, the resistors are upside down!
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Re: Assembled Crossovers from Madisound now available

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          Dang Charlie, the resistors are upside down!
                          If you just flip the picture over, they will be right-side-up. :D

-Charlie

Comment

Ouch, those look better than my homemade ones. Should have a pair of speakers done tomorrow, will post some pics and impressions running alone and with 2.1 system and also with my dual passive subs.

At work in a cement wall office.

You might want to check for clearance on those Madisound xovers if you're planning to mount them on the bottom of of the cabs. The woofer has a huge shielding can.
                            Last edited by djg; 04-15-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Ok, I'm listening to the NC DIY Budget 2-ways in my office with the Dayton 2.1 system. They sound pretty good. Very good match to the 2.1 plate amp and Tang Band 8" sub.

Pics later today.

Make that tomorrow, left camera at work.
                              Last edited by djg; 04-15-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X