Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morel CAM 558 - wanna make something of it? (I do)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morel CAM 558 - wanna make something of it? (I do)

OK, this thing is killing me. PE goes out of their way to make Morel make a round-flange version of the most amazing midrange dome I've ever heard (MDM 55, which has a stinky square flange), and we're not using it!

So I'm wondering if anyone is interested in building some designs if I cook up a few crossovers for it? I have some "modular" cabinets, which would allow me to build and voice the versions with minimal sawdust and labor.

Here are some tweeters I have on-hand that I think would compliment it well:
    Seas 22 TAF/G
    Fountek NeoCD1.0 (ever heard Paul K's Cantilenas? Drool...)
    Vifa XT25SC90
    ...any others you interested in? I may have it.

I don't have too many thrilling woofers on-hand to work with. I'm interested in combining it with the RS225 for starters. The RS180 would work, if one wanted a smaller box, and obviously I have those on-hand.
    I think the Usher 8945 would be a good mate, however I don't have this guy (I'd use a loaner if anyone's game); I DO have its rich brother, the SS 18w/8545K. Any other ideas? Again, I'm open to borrowing loaners.

Just had to get this project idea off my chest; that Morel driver's been itching at me ever since PE got Morel to change the flange. I've always loved the sound of it, but never bothered using it because of the stupid square flange. This new round flange changes everything!
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Re: Morel CAM 558 - wanna make something of it? (I do)

Hi Paul,

This mid is just amazing, I have used it with the fountek CD neo 1 and the USHER 8955 woofer in a 55 litre enclosure and all that have heard it cant believe the detail. Have bought 10 of these little babies so far and have sold every one to friends that have heard them. I am truely impressed. You wont be sorry

Stu

Comment

Yes, the MDM55 is great.

Come on Paul, go for the square recess. Call it sport. The extra cash was just sitting in your pocket anyway.

For the TzuJan 4, I had the baffle made before the round version arrived - or I would have used it!

Comment

Why not get the 22W/8857T and go for a CantiLena clone?

Comment

Hi, I'm from Poland and sorry for my poor english.

I has already make copy of Troels Gravesen Project 3W Classic on Seas drivers:
          http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WCL_pawel.htm

But I'm very interested in morel drivers. They are sweet

May be a good idea would be to link CAM558 with ET338 (I heard it once and fell in love with him)

I also think the Usher 8945 would be a good mate, he isn't as expensive as SS but also good.

Comment

From the speakers that I've listened to so far, I like the RS225 better than either Usher or ScanSpeak woofers.

The Peerless HDS Nomex 6.5" has been widely praised by those who have build designs using it:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1092

I'd do my own design with that woofer and the MDM-55 tweeter, but the wife and kids keep me busy... I too keep eying the CAM-55 since I'd be able to whip out some baffles a lot faster with that...
            "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Do it, Paul! I have 4 of those 10" Peerless/Genelec Drivers - 2 cu ft. sealed / aperiodic, F3 of 40Hz and app. 86-87dB. Would love to do a bargain version of what Tony Gee did

Here are the specs:

Peerless 830634 10" SLS Buyout (Branded "GENELEC")

Stamped frame reminds me of the larger SB frames in shape. No vent in pole piece, inverted dustcap vented through teardrop-shaped cutouts in the cone to above spider. Below are averages of 4 drivers.

AVG RE: 6.58 OHMS
              AVG FS: 29.72 HZ
              AVG QE: 0.65
              AVG QM: 3.89
              AVG QT: 0.56
              AVG ZMAX (FS): 46.03 OHMS
              AVG LE: 0.96 MH
              AVG VAS: 104.5 L
              CONE DIA: 8.25" (CONE + HALF OF SURROUND)
              SD: 345 CM2
              AVG BL: 9.35
              AVG MMS: 46.05 GR
              AVG SENS: 88.1 DB
              AVG % EFF: .408%
              Xmax (MFR): 8mm

Notes:

Fs ran from 28.55Hz - 31.8Hz
              Vas ran from 92.66 L - 110.45 L
              Qts ran from 0.53 - 0.61

Higher Qts - lower Vas as is normal with samples, etc.

Impedance plot very smooth with first wobble at app 950Hz. Unusual spike at 50Hz in all 4 samples impedance and phase. Rebooted PC/WT2 and changed leads to no effect. Suspect some sort of interference or measurement setup causing it, as I have had little artifacts in the WT before.

In 3 cubic feet sealed (0.85Qtc) will F3 at 38Hz
              In 2 cubic feet sealed (0.95Qtc) will F3 at 40Hz (I'd go aperiodic here)

Good Sealed/Aperiodic box woofer here and about 10Hz deeper than published specs.
              Here's a link to the PE specs - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-245

Cheers / Robert

Comment

I used the RS225 in an 18:1 tapered TL with the MDM55 and Vifa XT18, the Alicante. Rick Craig also did that crossover and I built the Alicantes before the canTiLenas. The Alicante was sort of a budget canTiLena considering the big difference in woofer costs and had an F3 of 32 Hz compared to 30 Hz for the canTiLena. I don't know what kind of woofer box you're considering but the RS225 is very versatile and you really ought to pair it up with the 558 and NeoCD1.0.
                Paul

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                OK, this thing is killing me. PE goes out of their way to make Morel make a round-flange version of the most amazing midrange dome I've ever heard (MDM 55, which has a stinky square flange), and we're not using it!

So I'm wondering if anyone is interested in building some designs if I cook up a few crossovers for it? I have some "modular" cabinets, which would allow me to build and voice the versions with minimal sawdust and labor.

Here are some tweeters I have on-hand that I think would compliment it well:
                Seas 22 TAF/G
                Fountek NeoCD1.0 (ever heard Paul K's Cantilenas? Drool...)
                Vifa XT25SC90
                ...any others you interested in? I may have it.

I don't have too many thrilling woofers on-hand to work with. I'm interested in combining it with the RS225 for starters. The RS180 would work, if one wanted a smaller box, and obviously I have those on-hand.
                I think the Usher 8945 would be a good mate, however I don't have this guy (I'd use a loaner if anyone's game); I DO have its rich brother, the SS 18w/8545K. Any other ideas? Again, I'm open to borrowing loaners.

Just had to get this project idea off my chest; that Morel driver's been itching at me ever since PE got Morel to change the flange. I've always loved the sound of it, but never bothered using it because of the stupid square flange. This new round flange changes everything!

Comment

Dan's Blades use the MDM55 and the Seas 22T. And then a pair of RS180's and a separately power RSS265 filling out the bottom. On the very narrow baffle, the off axis response is remarkable (if you care.)
                  - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
                  www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

The Alicantes and Cantilenas were both just fantastic, even if one XT19 was mounted upside down...:p

I think a NeoCD1.0/CAM-558/RS225-4 would be awesome.
                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

And I think that if you publish it, I could probably adapt the woofer-mid for the Peerless 10. Definitely go for it!!!

Cheers/Robert

Comment

I think a NeoCD1.0/CAM-558/RS225-4 would be awesome
                        It would be totally awesome-I would only need the CAM-558s! :D
                        I actually had this combo in mind to try, but had been working on a design with an RS100 as a mid first. What can I say, I have the RS100s just staring at me!;)
                        Attached Files
                        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Working...
                        X