Finished: WayneJ's Lyras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished: WayneJ's Lyras

Hi All, I finished a set of WayneJ's Lyras last night (http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...a/lyramain.htm).
    I am running them in a bit today, but really like what I am hearing so far.

I built them for the garage to replace a set of the Golden Boys I had, but recently sold. I was never very satisfied with the SQ of the Golden Boys, but they were a good 1st project and fine for the garage (at least for a few years). I used flat black latex paint on them. Might not have been the best idea since they seem to grab any dust around (and that is the nature of the garage), but we shall see.

I really like the sound of a 3-way design. Seems to really help in midrange clarity. They are a large box and very heavy. I may have to find a more secure mounting method for these.

BTW, has anyone else used the Silkie tweeters and had the face plate flex dramatically? I ended up drilling 3 more holes and using 6 screws to hold it down more uniformly. I guess a wide plastic flange isn't the best design... ;-)

Andy.

Last edited by andykriech; 03-28-2010, 06:02 PM. Reason: Added comment on Silkie

Re: Finished: WayneJ's Lyras

Nice work!

Comment

Nice studio monitor look!

Comment

Once again, very nice!!!
        Brad
        piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Lookin good, lots of people complain about the face plate flex on the silk dome tweeter. Plenty of people drill an extra 3 holes to fix the problem. I guess great minds think a like.

Comment

They look great Andy. I'd like to know what you think of the bass. Wayne's sealed cabinet approch makes a lot of sense. Do you like the bottom end?
            Jay T
            http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

Very nicely done. Very detailed work.

Comment

Very nice! I've had the same problem with the silkie. One of the guys on the forum here sent me a template a while back for the six holes. I just lay it over the faceplate, align it and mark the hole locations. Much cleaner look w/o the space between the 3 original holes sticking up a bit.

John A.
                "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                Pioneer TX-9500 II
                Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                Statement Monitors
                Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Yes, the Silkie flange is a disgrace to Parts Express, I must say. I mean, I know the tweeter is not expensive, but did they really have to skimp that much on a plastic face plate? At least they could have seen the problem and updated to six holes right?

The popular Seas tweeters use plastic face plates, and a lot of the Vifas too - but they don't flex like that.

Speakers look nice though, good to hear they sound good.
                  "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Very nice, Andy.

I'm curious about the router table? under the speakers. It looks similar to my home made insert. Always interested to see how others build theirs.

Marvin

Comment

Definitely sweet. Stealthy looking - all business.
                      'Soupy'

Comment

very nice looking speakers.
                        good luck keeping those little sticky domes clean.
                        good idea drilling the extra holes in the tweeter.
                        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                          very nice looking speakers.
                          good luck keeping those little sticky domes clean.
                          good idea drilling the extra holes in the tweeter.
                          Yeah, I had the same thought on both the tweeter and mid domes, both are tacky and already picking up dust. That is why I built full and tight-fitting grills as I went along. Should keep the majority of the airborn dust at bay.

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone.

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by lhwidget View Post
                            They look great Andy. I'd like to know what you think of the bass. Wayne's sealed cabinet approch makes a lot of sense. Do you like the bottom end?
                            Hi Jay,

Well I have listened to them for an hour or so over the weekend between other things. So far, the bass is good, but not real strong. Could be because they need to breakin a bit or due to the current setup out in the middle of the garage with little behind them for reinforcement.
                            I will be letting them run in a while throughout the week and then will try them again. I certainly like the overall sound and between these and LouC's Shticks, are showing me that I really like the 3-way sound.
                            They will be mounted up on the wall close to the ceiling, so they will get all the reinforcement possible (hopefully not too much).

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                              Very nice, Andy.

I'm curious about the router table? under the speakers. It looks similar to my home made insert. Always interested to see how others build theirs.

Marvin

Hi Marvin,

I built a "tablesaw/router table mobile station" from plans on the internet (http://www.woodstore.net/mosaroce.html). I didn't follow the plans too closely due to some constraints in my working space (the garage).

Here are some pics from the construction process:

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p...on%20-%202008/

Andy.

Comment

Working...
                              X