X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ucf52
    replied
    Re: Entertainment System connections

Yeah, kind of odd. I'll run a test, once I get everything all hooked up, and run identical source material, just swap inputs and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ucf52
    replied

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
    Seems like that receiver will only receive HDMI audio via that one input.
    You may have to use either RCA or digital (coax or optical) for your satellite and dvd audio inputs. I bet your receiver has instructions in assigning those HDMI inputs as video for the satellite and dvd audio inputs.

I could be wrong though...
    I had this same discussion going on another forum...

Apparently, all HDMI inputs handle audio (even their diagram has A/V sources being connected to the other HDMI inputs (set-top box, DVD player), BUT, input 3 provides the best input for audio.

I know, seems a little odd. I guess I'll get a better idea of what exactly that means when I get a chance to hook it up.

Leave a comment:

• ckmoore
    replied

Seems like that receiver will only receive HDMI audio via that one input.
    You may have to use either RCA or digital (coax or optical) for your satellite and dvd audio inputs. I bet your receiver has instructions in assigning those HDMI inputs as video for the satellite and dvd audio inputs.

I could be wrong though...

Leave a comment:

• ucf52
    replied

This is what had me concerned (what I was referring to at the end of my original post);

Input 3 (circled in red): says "for audio"

But diagram shows other audio/video sources using other HDMI inputs on the receiver.

**confused**

Leave a comment:

• ucf52
    replied

Originally posted by Froste View Post
    Looks like you have it right. Not sure about your last question, need to know what AV reciever you are talking about.
    Whoops :o

It's a Sony STR-DA3500ES

I posted this same question on another forum and it seems I should be okay. I'll dig up exactly what the manual says though... just to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• Froste
    replied

Looks like you have it right. Not sure about your last question, need to know what AV reciever you are talking about.

Leave a comment:

• ucf52
    started a topic Entertainment System connections

Entertainment System connections

I know this is primarily a DIY, audio discussion board... so, if this topic is 'out of bounds' please feel free to remove it.

I'm in the process of putting together a little home entertainment system for myself and have a few questions regarding system connections. I'd like to purchase all my cables at the same time (Monoprice), so if you could double check what cables I'm using and that I'm not missing anything, that would be great!

I figured a drawing would be best to start with;

Now, if you could be so kind to bear with me here (noob warning):

If I want to watch cable TV (via the DVR) - power on the TV, DVR, and AVR. Video will be passed as follows: DVR>>AVR>>TV. Audio will be passed as follows: DVR>>AVR>>external speakers.

If I want to watch a DVD or play a game on the PS3 - Power on the TV, PS3, and AVR. Video will be passed as follows: PS3>>AVR>>TV. Audio will be passed as follows: PS3>>AVR>>external speakers.

If I want to play A/V content from an external HD - Power on the TV, PS3, and AVR. Video will be passed as follows: ExtHD>>PS3>>AVR>>TV. Audio will be passed as follows: Ext>>PS3>>AVR>>external speakers.

Hopefully you're still with me and not laughing at me :p

Now, the TV will always be using the HDMI input as its source. That essentially will never change. The AVR source will change depending on what I'm wanting to use as source material and when I make a source change at the AVR, the output material will be reflected on the display... correct?

Lastly (for now :p ) - when I RTFM for the AVR I noticed they listed a specific HDMI input that is to be used for audio and video (it has 4 total HDMI inputs)... does that sound right? I'll have more than one A/V (component) source, so can any clarify this for me...?

I appreciate any help you can throw my way.
Working...
X