Efficiency question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficiency question

Is speaker system efficiency dependent solely on driver efficiency and xover design, or also on box design?

My Modula MTs seem to be quite inefficient. I am wondering what factors affect that? Also, will reducing BSC improve efficiency appreciably?

Thanks,
    Marvin

Re: Efficiency question

Originally posted by marvin View Post
    Is speaker system efficiency dependent solely on driver efficiency and xover design, or also on box design?

My Modula MTs seem to be quite inefficient. I am wondering what factors affect that? Also, will reducing BSC improve efficiency appreciably?

Thanks,
    Marvin
    Primarily efficiency is controlled by the drivers.

If you reduce Baffle Step the efficiency above the baffle step will increase but not below it. So the net result is a speaker that has a less than flat response and sounds thin or lacking bass/mid bass response.

Usually the best way to get sensitivity up is to use multiple woofers wired in parallel. Or start with more efficient drivers to begin with. Larger woofers tend to be more efficient than smaller ones at least typically.
    Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Re: Efficiency question

Originally posted by dthomas View Post
      Primarily efficiency is controlled by the drivers.

If you reduce Baffle Step the efficiency above the baffle step will increase but not below it. So the net result is a speaker that has a less than flat response and sounds thin or lacking bass/mid bass response.

Usually the best way to get sensitivity up is to use multiple woofers wired in parallel. Or start with more efficient drivers to begin with. Larger woofers tend to be more efficient than smaller ones at least typically.
      In my room, the MTs are just a bit bass heavy, so I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone. Only hang up for me is--Jon's CE xover components are so inter-related, I think BSC tweaking is not really practical. I do have an in wall xover version that I may remove and test in my free standing enclosures just to experiment.

Comment

Working...
      X